AS and Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 7:32 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
This happens to me all the time and it's so embarrassing. I have to ask over and over. I hate it when they agitatingly speak up. I can already hear them but not their words. I don't know what you do to get a test for this. I hate it. :x

I drive people absolutely nuts because I often have to have something repeated 3 or 4 times before I understand it.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 9:02 pm

bikermark wrote:
I just found out I have AS last year. I read up on it intensively, for some odd reason.

CAPD is sometimes associated with AS. I was told by friends and family that I needed a hearing aide for years, but they did not understand that I heard everything, just distorted and out of order. Background noise destroys my comprehension.

Ditto here for me (on the AS & CAPD). I find it both amusing and disgusting that the major issues of my life were not discovered by "professionals" and instead were exposed by my own investigations! Then, in order for me to be respected for my efforts, others would push me to get the unnecessary confirmations upon what I already knew because of their problem of not believing me! I guess that's what the punishment is for desiring to say, "See, I told you so!"

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2008, 10:44 pm

Ugh, it's so frustrating to have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves. I swear, 85% of the time someone says something to my, my first response is "huh?". It's worse if I actually answer them before they repeat themselves. My family used to always scold me for saying "huh?" and then answering, like I did it for fun or something. But no, the words had to bounce around in my head first and sort themselves out.

My hearing is very good- annoyingly good- but I can't understand people for s**t. I watch movies with the subtitles on.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 11:06 pm

I am right there with you folks....I was calling it an "auditory processing" problem before I had ever heard the term used by other people....HORRIBLE at meetings....and school.....gads....

Flakey used to complain that I was "slow on the uptake" since it took me so long to absorb anything he said to me....clever way of calling me dumb..i guess....he doesn't do it anymore...

it is the origin of my slight echolalia....if I understand something on the first try, I will say it back to them.....(not always...just sometimes....)

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2008, 11:56 pm

Cameo wrote:
Ugh, it's so frustrating to have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves. I swear, 85% of the time someone says something to my, my first response is "huh?". It's worse if I actually answer them before they repeat themselves. My family used to always scold me for saying "huh?" and then answering, like I did it for fun or something. But no, the words had to bounce around in my head first and sort themselves out.

My hearing is very good- annoyingly good- but I can't understand people for s**t. I watch movies with the subtitles on.

It does get frustrating. It's like I hear them talk, but I always say "what?" because despite being able to hear them perfectly I don't have a clue what they just said. Once in a while it gets so bad that I have to ask them to repeat the same thing multiple times and it ends with a "nevermind!"

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 11:59 pm

Sora wrote:
Why's this diagnosis in the ICD-9 but not in the ICD-10? I know nobody having an idea of this diagnosis. They just say it's part of autism here.

I was diagnosed by an audiologist in Texas. I was not told that it was associated with AS or autism. I found out about that on this site, after I got my AS diagnosis. The audiologist told me it is often associated with ADHD, but it can also occur independently.

Apparently, there are actually many auditory processing disorders, several of which are considered "central" auditory processing disorders, but they are not well understood and are difficult to differentiate, so most people just get the CAPD or APD label, the latter being less specific.

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 1:41 am

I am pretty sure that I have CAPD too. I have been wondering lately if maybe I'm not on the spectrum at all and maybe all I have is auditory processing issues. Not understanding what others say on a regular basis definitely has a negative effect on my socializing. I'm constantly asking people to repeat themselves because I couldn't process the words fast enough, the words got all scrambled in my mind, or someway or another (but not because of hearing problems) the info doesn't get from point A to point B.

Outside the classroom, my friends/acquaintances usually get frustrated with me if I make them repeat something too many times or if I try to fake understanding them (Something I've learned to do recently) and they ask for a response from me requiring that I understood them, and I'm not good enough at faking to slide by when this happens.

In the classroom, poor auditory processing is the main reason I have gotten so frustrated in school and failed so many classes.
I simply cannot understand the directions, and since classroom assignments are usually reliant on following spoken direction, I have turned in very little class work. Also, the directions for homework are usually given verbally too, so I've turned in very little homework. I realize now that this is the main reason I am so much better at tests than any other assignments. All the directions are very clear and on paper.

But, very recently, CAPD has begun to affect me in the test-taking realm because I am now in college. In one of my classes, the tests are still written, but some of the answers are not in the book or any of the notes. The answers are only given in the lectures!

I'm in trouble, I'm in trouble, I'm in trouble.......

TheAbided
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2008, 1:55 am

A definitely do this. At times, no matter how many times someone says and repeats themselves, I cannot understand them. I have to either ask them to re-word what they are saying, or to spell it out. i am also constantly saying "what?", and many find it very annoying.

Rossi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2008, 6:10 am

I had always wondered why others seemed to have no problems understanding song texts, where my brain just had formed nonsense words - and I still have a hard time picking the right words when I hear a song for the first time.

And I was always amazed e.g. in a gathering of some people where all sit around a table and people start talking in small groups of two or three and seem to have no problem understanding each other even if sitting a couple of meters away and over all those other conversations and music running in the background, where I even can't understand the person right besides me. I always have the urge to jump up and scream "dammit, why can't you all just speak one after the other ?" :lol:

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 8:34 am

Cameo wrote:
Ugh, it's so frustrating to have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves. I swear, 85% of the time someone says something to my, my first response is "huh?". It's worse if I actually answer them before they repeat themselves. My family used to always scold me for saying "huh?" and then answering, like I did it for fun or something. But no, the words had to bounce around in my head first and sort themselves out..

That is SOOOOO me it's not even funny! :lol:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:08 am

Autism itself is distinguished by auditory processing difficulties (as well as visual); CAPD is there for individuals who don't have any other symptoms of autism.

My cousin's son has CAPD, he fails to respond to his name many times, as well as the other symptoms of such (especially at school); I failed to respond to my name too when I was little, and I experienced all of the other symptoms too, but I had the rest of the autistic symptoms.

Not everyone with autism and Asperger's have the auditory processing difficulties, but you'll find that the majority do.

leaford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2008, 9:11 am

Oh, I SOOOO have CAPD! I'd always had issues with hearing, but all my hearing tests were excellent. Everyone was always telling me to pay more attention, which was frustrating as hell. I figured out several years ago that it was a processing problem, and called it auditory dyslexia. I googled that several times over the years, figuring that even if it wasn't really called auditory dyslexia, surely SOMEONE else would use that phrase to describe it, but all I ever found were websites about dyslexia which just happened to use the word auditory. :)

So anyway, i knew I had this condition, but only found out what it was called when I learned about Prosopagnosia, and the author of a face blind website mentioned having CAPD as well. So, the first neurological disorder I self-diagnosed was the second one I learned the name for. :-)

bikermark

04 Mar 2008, 11:36 am

Aquamarine_Kitty wrote:
In the classroom, poor auditory processing is the main reason I have gotten so frustrated in school and failed so many classes.
I simply cannot understand the directions, and since classroom assignments are usually reliant on following spoken direction, I have turned in very little class work. Also, the directions for homework are usually given verbally too, so I've turned in very little homework. I realize now that this is the main reason I am so much better at tests than any other assignments. All the directions are very clear and on paper.

But, very recently, CAPD has begun to affect me in the test-taking realm because I am now in college. In one of my classes, the tests are still written, but some of the answers are not in the book or any of the notes. The answers are only given in the lectures!

I'm in trouble, I'm in trouble, I'm in trouble.......

Aquamarine_Kitty,

Were I you, I would make my instructors know of my auditory processing problems. In all the educational settings I've been in, they have always done what they could to make sure the material was equally available to all, and would go the extra distance to help someone.

Mark

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2008, 2:18 pm

leaford wrote:
Oh, I SOOOO have CAPD! I'd always had issues with hearing, but all my hearing tests were excellent. Everyone was always telling me to pay more attention, which was frustrating as hell. I figured out several years ago that it was a processing problem, and called it auditory dyslexia. I googled that several times over the years, figuring that even if it wasn't really called auditory dyslexia, surely SOMEONE else would use that phrase to describe it, but all I ever found were websites about dyslexia which just happened to use the word auditory. :)

lol, I used to say I was "hearing dyslexic" before I found out what it's really called.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:49 pm

If you have CAPD and want to experience shear aggravation, work as a cashier in a Taco Bell drive-thru.

*me* "What was that? You want Young Jeezy's belt?"

*irate customer* "No I said I want a cheesy-beefy melt!
:lol:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:54 pm

I have to deal with this on a daily basis at my job. I hate it, I've had to asked more than twice. What gets me is they raise their voice. I have sensative hearing and can hear real well but not their diction. It's like they're slurring their words together. Other than that, loud noise irks me.