Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:04 am

Do you find it easier to get to sleep if you have had meltdowns later in the day?

We seemed to have meltdown day this afternoon and Damo went to sleep earlier than normal :?

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:18 am

Well I'm not 100% sure that it was a meltdown.

He also had a sore tummy and was coughing ALOT poor kid was almost choking and I had to hit him on the back.
His tummy was sore for quite a while after the meltdown.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:20 am

i've never had meltdowns regularly, but when i do, they can manifest in something of a 'coma sleep' - -the term i use for a sleep that no amount of water or mattress-throwing or hitting (yay mom) can interrupt.
i read a study somewhere that demonstrated an AS girl struggling to achieve a goal that was hitting her stressors, who then found it easiest to kind of 'pass out' -- if you want, i can try to look this up?

for me, sleeping is the best way to recharge after being pressed real hard. problem is, i am prone to insomnia.

eta: i DID have regular meltdowns of this variety when i was about 12/13/14 years old.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:28 am

RampionRampage wrote:
i've never had meltdowns regularly, but when i do, they can manifest in something of a 'coma sleep' - -the term i use for a sleep that no amount of water or mattress-throwing or hitting (yay mom) can interrupt.
i read a study somewhere that demonstrated an AS girl struggling to achieve a goal that was hitting her stressors, who then found it easiest to kind of 'pass out' -- if you want, i can try to look this up?

for me, sleeping is the best way to recharge after being pressed real hard. problem is, i am prone to insomnia.

eta: i DID have regular meltdowns of this variety when i was about 12/13/14 years old.

YES please :D Anything that can help me understand will be great! Thanks in advance!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 7:28 am

Well, for me a meltdown is just as physically exhausting as it's emotionally exhausting. I suppose the same kind of exhaustion people have when they're very sad or when they had a huge argument that affected them gravely. I suppose that one can sleep very well when a meltdown is over, if the topic is over and finished, means, if no emotions are still boiling - as few can sleep like that. Meltdowns involve great stress and I think all people can sleep well when the stress they endured is finally over.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2008, 7:41 am

A meltdown is basically a mental shutdown after mental exhaustion. So yes, it's kind of the same way a guy who just ran 8 miles can sleep better.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 5:01 pm

cant help u there i have acute insomnia

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 5:31 pm

Reyairia wrote:
A meltdown is basically a mental shutdown after mental exhaustion. So yes, it's kind of the same way a guy who just ran 8 miles can sleep better.
He's exhausted after just eight miles? What a freaking wimp! I can run all day, boss! I just hope you don't mind me sweating like a bull. Oh, off-topicality. Alert: yes, enough glucose is burnt during a meltdown to result in an aftermath characterized by some fatigue.

Villain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Feb 2008, 5:55 pm

It's been years since my last meltdown, so I don't remember whether or not it affected my sleep..

However, I prefer insomnia over the possibility of injuring people..

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 6:23 pm

Thanks, I had to wonder because normally he takes a long time to get to sleep.
here's hopingwe have a meltdown free day :)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 12:53 pm

Reyairia wrote:

Meltdowns are not just affecting the 'inner',they can show in 'outer' ways as well,some of the things they can include are attacking out at others or objects,or attacking self,flesh biting,head banging,speed rocking,loss of communication for those who are verbal,loss of vision [sensory scrambling],screaming,hair pulling [the word for it begins with T],seizure like behaviors and also seizures.
The Autie or Aspie may not have any awareness of what happened.

Am have the outer,violent physical type meltdowns including tonic clonic seizures in a lot of them,and they're long term daily due to not being able to settle due to being told am being moved to another home,changes and a sensory overloading area with windows that sound like they're open all the time.

Mum2ASDboy,
that sounds 'normal' and common for meltdowns,they can require a lot of sleep to recover from as they torture the body to such level of deep tiredness.
It would be worth getting him seen by a neurologist for some tests for seizures as well,to make sure he is not having seizures during his meltdowns as these can increase the after meltdown sleep time.
When am have had a meltdown,they send am into a deep sleep for a long time and staff/family put am in recovery position,after waking up,they leave am feeling wobbly,very tired,sick etc for the rest of the day,and they increase already accute sensory problems even more during that time before going back to normal,have been told not all of them include seizures though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2008, 1:28 pm

I'm a lot older than your fellow but I still experience some powerful "meltdowns". I have often noticed that the result of the meltdown was similar to draining a battery of its energy. The deep sleep is like a battery charger.

Thank you for being patient and understanding the young fellow.

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
Well I'm not 100% sure that it was a meltdown.

He also had a sore tummy and was coughing ALOT poor kid was almost choking and I had to hit him on the back.
His tummy was sore for quite a while after the meltdown.

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2008, 2:51 pm

Hiya

My son is 15, and (touch wood) seems to be coming out of the meltdown phase. Had them an awful lot when he was younger though and the last 'major' one was last summer. I do vividly remember him sleeping like a log afterwards though which I found quite odd as he's a real insomniac - he would literally fall asleep because he obviously needed to re-charge his batteries.

Sounds like your little boy is doing the same thing, nothing to worry about - just make the most of the piece and quiet!! :lol: