Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 5:03 pm

Yay socializing! Don't have any 'friends' yet, but still! I kinda have an acquaintance, though.

Actually, one person saw me outside waiting for the bus and told me to have a nice weekend! *smile*

I was always worried that my Aspergers, low self esteem, and slight fear of the human race would keep me from making friends, but even the guy who hates me is becoming nicer!

*happiness*

Anyone have similar stories?

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Feb 2008, 5:35 pm

After I left college, I lost a lot of friends and I hadn't talked to people from High School for a long time. So for a long time there, I had only one friend (who I'd known for years) until I got desperate and went out and made some associates, whether through support groups or clubs. I don't know if I have what could be considered a "life" and I'm not sure if any of my associates truly count as "close-friends" yet, but I'm still moving and building on relationships and I am determined I will get back to a point I was at in college where I had close friends but this time I won't frighten them off by being an ass-hole.

Did I just reveal way too much about my life?

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 4:42 pm

daveybaby wrote:
After I left college, I lost a lot of friends and I hadn't talked to people from High School for a long time. So for a long time there, I had only one friend (who I'd known for years) until I got desperate and went out and made some associates, whether through support groups or clubs. I don't know if I have what could be considered a "life" and I'm not sure if any of my associates truly count as "close-friends" yet, but I'm still moving and building on relationships and I am determined I will get back to a point I was at in college where I had close friends but this time I won't frighten them off by being an ass-hole.

Did I just reveal way too much about my life?

Not at all.

Good luck making more friends! *smile*

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 5:12 pm

Well done. Just so you don't repeat the same mistakes as me, keep in touch this acquaintance by all means but also focus on others. Once a friendship is established if you are happy with one friend that is cool. Or you can get one or two more. The number isn't actually important.

Not every associate is going to become a friend, don't let this disparage you. It is a learning curve but definitely possible.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:14 pm

For me, the best thing that works is just to strike common ground. I was able to have convos at the local Fry's and Costco and they even ask me for advice.