recommend a good first-person shooter?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2008, 6:03 pm

gbollard wrote:
Ok, I haven't quite been missing them - I've got Doomsday but will have a look at ZDoom too - thanks....

I was meaning that I was missing the style of game.

and that since I'm trying to use the Playstation 2 for games, I'm missing any kind of DOOM game on that.

I thought PS2 was just for keeping the kids out of mischief. ;)

Edit: Actually I liked Quake III

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 9:17 pm

Quote:
I thought PS2 was just for keeping the kids out of mischief. Wink

Some kids are bigger than others...

I'm playing Dogz on the PS2 at the moment - well not right now, I'm at work :) but currently.

Did you like Quake 3 on PS2 or on PC? I've got a feeling that the PS2 version (Quake 3 Revolution isn't the same as the PC version.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Mar 2008, 9:32 pm

viska wrote:
Deus Ex.

I'm suprised more people haven't mentioned Deus Ex seen has it's the greatest FPS in history till present day. :D

Ok..... OK...... in my opinion it's the greatest. (I have to add that so people can't moan at me. lol)

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 2:56 am

Shadowbound wrote:
viska wrote:
Deus Ex.

I'm suprised more people haven't mentioned Deus Ex seen has it's the greatest FPS in history till present day. :D

Ok..... OK...... in my opinion it's the greatest. (I have to add that so people can't moan at me. lol)

Eh, for some reason I couldn't get into Deus Ex. Absolutely loved the first level and played through it multiple times but everytime I got to Battery Park I got bored and quit. I still think everything good about Deus Ex, was done better in System Shock 2. Except the soundtrack. Deus Ex had an amazing soundtrack that I ended up buying a second copy of Deus Ex, the GOTY edition for 10 bucks, just for said soundtrack.

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2008, 5:04 am

gbollard wrote:
Quote:
I thought PS2 was just for keeping the kids out of mischief. Wink

Some kids are bigger than others...

I'm playing Dogz on the PS2 at the moment - well not right now, I'm at work :) but currently.

Did you like Quake 3 on PS2 or on PC? I've got a feeling that the PS2 version (Quake 3 Revolution isn't the same as the PC version.

PC of course :)
How do you 'dance of death' on a PS2?

The only advantage I can see of owning a PS2 is that I can put off buying a PS3 :)

Even if we owned 3 PS2s and 3 TVs it would be a real pain to set them all up in the living room on a Friday night.

If we're prepared to go back to Doom2 we could have up to 5 seats. (Though that would require some rummaging in the attic)

Drakeman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

eelektrik wrote:
Drakeman wrote:

For multiplayer, you can never beat Counter-Strike. It's better than any of the Halo's IMO, and it still has a massive and fun community.

Completely different FPSs, both of which have a pretty insipid community of idiots and lamers. Though gameplay wise I'd take Halo over Counter-Strike any day as it has much more variety than Counter-Strike's which even on maps with objectives always boils down to Last Man Standing as no one ever completes the objectives and just runs around shooting each other.

As far as multiplayer shooters goes, Starsiege: Tribes is still my favorite one of all time, though I think they took down the master servers for it but I'm sure the community has managed to work around that, I'm not sure as its been a while since I've played, and my computer refuses to run anything at the moment since the video card is almost completely dead and chokes on YouTube and sometimes animated banners...

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually find what you described with Halo and CS to be reverse, as Counter-Strike seems to implore more strategic elements to it most of the time. Then again, it all depends on what server you get on to. I just find Halo to be no different than most of the Unreal titles and find it vastly overrated, but then again I am fairly biased towards PC gaming, so I'm sure that's factoring into the decision. I just can't play a FPS without a mouse and keyboard, and I found the PC version of Halo 1 and 2 to be crappy.

I will agree with you about Tribes however, and can't believe I left that one out. I'd probably take Tribes in it's server prime over Halo, Unreal, Quake, and CS anyday.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 5:38 pm

Drakeman wrote:
eelektrik wrote:
Drakeman wrote:

For multiplayer, you can never beat Counter-Strike. It's better than any of the Halo's IMO, and it still has a massive and fun community.

Completely different FPSs, both of which have a pretty insipid community of idiots and lamers. Though gameplay wise I'd take Halo over Counter-Strike any day as it has much more variety than Counter-Strike's which even on maps with objectives always boils down to Last Man Standing as no one ever completes the objectives and just runs around shooting each other.

As far as multiplayer shooters goes, Starsiege: Tribes is still my favorite one of all time, though I think they took down the master servers for it but I'm sure the community has managed to work around that, I'm not sure as its been a while since I've played, and my computer refuses to run anything at the moment since the video card is almost completely dead and chokes on YouTube and sometimes animated banners...

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually find what you described with Halo and CS to be reverse, as Counter-Strike seems to implore more strategic elements to it most of the time. Then again, it all depends on what server you get on to. I just find Halo to be no different than most of the Unreal titles and find it vastly overrated, but then again I am fairly biased towards PC gaming, so I'm sure that's factoring into the decision. I just can't play a FPS without a mouse and keyboard, and I found the PC version of Halo 1 and 2 to be crappy.

I will agree with you about Tribes however, and can't believe I left that one out. I'd probably take Tribes in it's server prime over Halo, Unreal, Quake, and CS anyday.

Well, pretty much any multiplayer game is only as good as the people you're playing it with. Like recently with Team Fortress 2 I tended to only play on passworded servers for people from another forum I go to. There were a few idiots, because you can't weed them all out, but the majority of the players on those servers knew what they were doing, actually communicated, and many good games were had. Public servers were just aggravating when your team isn't doing anything worthwhile at all and you just hop from server to server trying to find a good game. Counter-Strike might be fun in a closed environment, but I've not experienced such, and judging purely from public servers on Counter-Strike and Halo PC I preferred Halo. Halo 2 and 3 I played on Xbox Live and only played custom games with people on my friends list(Mostly from the same forum as the TF2 group).

smaug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2008, 2:00 am

O.P. - Doom 3 by now is 3-4 years old, just you know. :P

Depending on your system specs, you could try:

Half-Life

Call of Duty (Number 1, not 2 or 3 and definitely not 4)

Half-Life 2 (the Source engine scales wonderfully on lower end systems. These are the system requirements for HL2: Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection | Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection)

http://www.steampowered.com - give that a visit and download Steam. Big library of downloadable games old and new, and you can find all three of the above as well as a lot more on there.