Secrets about your grocery store clerk:

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:16 am

[quote="ADoyle"]I also work for a grocery store, but my main job is a bookkeeper. That task only takes 4 hours out of my shift, so that leaves the rest of the time to help as a cashier. When it's my turn to do the books, I have to be there before the store opens so the registers have money.

I actually care about the customers, if I didn't, I wouldn't have applied to work there. From my previous retail experience, I developed a thick skin when customers are upset. Most customers are pretty friendly from my experience.[/quot

THANK you doyle!! ! in cleveland, it is the grocery clerks and clerks in general that have an attitude ..9for the past 10 yrs) good thing you work in customer service! to quote a sarcastic 'roseanne' show line..w ell, we live in repeating tv lines, right?
when people ticked me off so badi wouldnt work in cust . service.

AND GROCERY CLERKS OF AMERICA: YEAH YOUR ANGER AND DISGUST IS OBVIOUS, WE GET IT. GET IN ANOTHER LINE OF WORK LISTEN TO MY SHOW AT BLOGTALKRADIO.COM/WENDY-W.

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:20 am

..and the customers cant stand rude clerks either and if you dont pack those bags faster and stop shootin your mouth off to your little coworker friend we'll reach across that counter and .. :)

We're not interested in hearing your romance problems or relationship issues or your weekend plans or 'karen!' (yelling by customers ear) ' i need a price check!" Pack the bags decently and go (ha). Better yet, just go. What amazes me is clerks dont just walk out the door and quit. The pay is so sh***y .. it's called common courtesy.

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:22 am

[quote="Mendori"]1. We don’t actually give a f**k how you’re doing. In fact, you

9. We don’t like you. You cannot change this.

10. Your jokes aren’t funny. Shut up so we can faster perform our minimum-wage jobs.

It is also AMAZINGLY easy to use profanity and 4 letter words.. also AMAZINGLY easy not to.

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:28 am

[

But I do know if they chuck a hissy fit theyll look more stupid than anyone working there. Often when I have had a sour customer the person behind them just looks at me (in a friendly way) and says (e.g.)"well she was a b***h!" lol, I love it when they do that

I love it when they call a woman a btch'.. hmm.. do u love to call men btches too? how bout if someone called your mother that? And it is the clerks that are the 'b's.. get-another-job!! !! !! If you people would wise up and stop working for these places they would all go to the computerized checkout, which we all prefer anyway as howie chizek of wnirfm.com said , we dont need you rude clerks.. the robotic checkout self-checkout does a much better job minus the attitude...ha ha ha ha (and howie said that yrs ago).

WHEN ARE STORES GOING TO GET RID OF THESE RUDE CLERKS AND GO OVER TO SELF CHECKOUT COMPLETELY? oh, and keeping ONE LINE open while fifty thousand people stand there whining and complaining and waiting to check out.. that's really smart! And the CUSTOMER is the pain??

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:34 am

[
?I did it triangular trees (cool name btw). And when people yelled when i was trying to talk i said 'shh'.. and they(the customers) laughed.. told them i had to concentrate and couldnt with their incessant talking.. one time i had a woman have me take down every christmas decoration on sale so she could look at them while manage stood there and said nothing.. and then the store went out of business eventually what goes around comes.. she (manager) used to waste time telling me to 'put all the money in the drawer facing the same direction'. yeah right, when everyone is rushing you and coming in there are more impt things to do than lining up money in the cash drawer to face 'one way'.

I eventually learned to just count out the initial change on the register, than add the additional money, and exchange it for the largest dominination. It takes a lot longer than if I had just taken a few seconds to do mental math, but thats the only way to go about the process without the customer screaming out your for not instantly knowing how much money to give them. I got straight A's in both my bachelors and masters degree - I'm not working in fast food because I'm an idiot. But you'll never discovere that if your shouting out numbers at me at the same time you are expecting me to work with numbers and quickly come up with a correct answer. heck, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who can accurately do mental math in that situation[/quote]

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:38 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Ah yes, and then there is also the fact that if you have many bags tying them shut keeps everything from falling out and getting lost under your car seat, or under other items in the trunk

And when I did work in fast food, the policy was changed so that we had to take customer orders 15 minutes after our listed closing time - the reason being that no one wanted to take orders that came at the last minute. So the boss solved the problem by changing when the "last minute" was

HA I WORKED IN A PLACE ONCE WHERE CUSTOMERS WERE OUT IN THE LOT AT CLOSING TIME AND THE COWORKER IN HIS 60S GOT ON THE INTERCOM AND SAID 'WE ARE CLOSING, THANK YOU' IT WAS LOL HILARIOUS! (1991)

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:43 am

[quote="chamoisee"]You sound like you *really* hate the grocery retail business. I'm a cashier too, so I can relate, even though I like most of my customers. Here is my list:

YES i had disgusting men alcohol breath AND married ones staring til wifey returned to the line.. utter pigs. Differnce is, i had the guts to tell them to theirface and not on a internet forum ha ha! so, quit the job.. of and when you tell them to their face they just laugh because men are tolerated (older men especially) by this crazy society, tolerated to hit on young women. You dont pay me enough to put up with constant abuse. And the slower you move the angrier the customer is going to get.

pinkrose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2008, 4:45 am

[
PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE CLERKS ARE REALLY REALLY IRRITATING> and hurting a customers milk and eggs will only hurt you..ah! the lovely invention of the ticker tape that gives the store mgr, number and clerks name on it...]

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

I've been stuck in retail for much longer than I should be because I can't get a real job. 95% of customers are great, but I do have a few rants to come from it

First off, PUT AWAY THE CELL PHONE
Also, make your final decisions BEFORE you get to the register. I hate it when I have to wait for people to debate on whether to buy something when there's a line.
If it doesn't ring up, it's not free. You're being as creative as the last person who made that joke
Please don't ask me where I'm from. Everybody does it and it's none of your business
And finally, I can make exact change several times faster than it takes to dig that penny from the bottom of your pocket/purse/bag.

SPCDavid
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2008, 5:27 pm

Back when I worked fast-food, I was in kill-mode all day, I can't say I'm that hateful anymore.

greenlandgem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2008, 3:22 pm

coyote wrote:
the store closes his door at 5. It means i can go in at 4h55 and do all my grocery. If they wanted everyone out at 5, they would stop getting poeple in a 4h30. Like the line-ups at the amusement park are closed a half hour before the park. YOU have to get used to the fact that your job doesn't end at 5, it ends after the last customer quits. This is how jobs with public are. If you can't get used to this, change job!

No, the store closes at 5. As a customer, it's your responsibility to make sure that, if you have more than five minutes worth of shopping to do, that you show up before five to. We don't get paid to ring you through at 5.25, you know. As much as I liked helping customers when I was a clerk and tried to be as accomodating as possible, I don't care enough to stay at work half an hour later at 10pm on a Saturday, especially for free.

And the few times I did it, the customers weren't even grateful - they just acted grumpy and entitled! I was very tempted to ask a bag boy to sneak out and let the air out of their tyres while they paid. Serve 'em right.

Did it on my holidays for three years. Not a bad job, but its bad points were just so IRRITATING!