Into the Fray Over the Cause of Autism (New York Times)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:00 pm

Into the Fray Over the Cause of Autism
By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 4, 2008

“It’s indisputable that autism is on the rise among children,” Senator John McCain said while campaigning recently in Texas. “The question is, What’s causing it? And we go back and forth, and there’s strong evidence that indicates that it’s got to do with a preservative in vaccines.”

With that comment, Mr. McCain marked his entry into one of the most politicized scientific issues in a generation.

Mr. McCain is correct that autism diagnoses have increased in recent decades; no one disputes that. He is on much shakier ground when talking about the preservative as a cause.

more...

- Emerson

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2008, 3:11 pm

I sorta agree with McCain on this, although there are many times when I wish politics wouldn't get mixed with things that have absolutely nothing to do with politics, like environmental science (well, any kind of science), education, and so forth.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 3:21 pm

The reason that more kids are getting a dignosis, today, is because the screening process has been improved.

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2008, 3:32 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The reason that more kids are getting a dignosis, today, is because the screening process has been improved.

And because more people know about autism than before. I think it's as simple as that.

tigerlily
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2008, 3:35 pm

I think that more kids are being diagnosed partly because its getting more difficult to cope with being Autistic as society gets crazier, more hectic and sensorily challenging, so that difficulties and the resulting trauma show in behavior
Also I feel that the round hole that you are expected to pass through at school is becoming narrower by the minute.
The task of appearing 'normal' seems to be getting more and more difficult.
Also being a kid isnt as much fun as it used to be.
Less outside time and general freedom of small kids , in the UK and Ireland anyway.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 4:33 pm

A Limey writes... Isn't this the same guy that wants to be, and may well end up as, PRESIDENT of the USA! Wakey!Wakey! This means TROUBLE!

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

Gah, McCain just sounds incredibly uninformed. He doesn't even seem to realize how the autism spectrum has been officially changed during the past fifteen years. It'd be nice if politicians did a minimal amount of homework before opening their mouths.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

04 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm

McCain's ridiculous statement reminds me of an interesting newspaper article I read last week.

It said the rest of the world should be allowed to vote for the US President because it's too important a decision to leave to the US citizens (considering their poor voter turn out).

I'm starting to agree! :lol:

Helen

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 8:15 am

Smelena wrote:
McCain's ridiculous statement reminds me of an interesting newspaper article I read last week.

It said the rest of the world should be allowed to vote for the US President because it's too important a decision to leave to the US citizens (considering their poor voter turn out).

I'm starting to agree! :lol:

Helen

I suggested that to someone once and he said, "No, I don't want the Chinese electing the Presidant." It is an unteresting idea though, if we could insure truly free & fair elections, having everybody vote in everybodies elections.

- Emerson