Are there some tale-tell signs of AS that fade with age?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 3:16 pm

Detren wrote:
My son seems to have a delay from hearing a question to answering. (I think he is repeating the question in his head first.) I am reminded of a couple things from when I was younger that might be similar for me. Like my mom always yelling at me to quit saying "what", when i knew what she had said. (but when I said what I really didn't know what she had said. It just took long enough for me to say "what" for it to sink in.) I also remember my swimming class teacher praising me for taking such care to "think carefully" of my answer before I would say "yes, I can do that." I will have to ask my husband if I still do this, I guess. (Didn't even realize it was there until thinking about the "noted delay" to my son's responses on her chart.) He seems to have a 3-5 second delay, then will give a minimal of a literal "yes", "no", or "I just don't know the answer to that." answer. Although hours later, or the next day he will spontaneously bring up the subject and a more detailed answer might come. (He hears a lot more than he lets on at the time. haha.)

I have a delay before answering a question. Sometimes in the hallways at school, someone will say hi to me, and by the time that I answer him/her, he/she is already gone.