Page 6 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Is the charity group Autism Speaks doing more harm than good?
Yes, they are doing more harm than good 83%  83%  [ 67 ]
No, they are a charity doing great work on behalf of autistics everywhere 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Unsure; Autism Speaks doesn't seem to make that much of a difference 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 81

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Mar 2008, 2:57 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
Farsight, Cockney and Peppertree, it's clear you all hate Autism Speaks. Brothers! Hallelujah! But, why is so much time spent on hating and not supporting the organizations that you feel speak for you? Since I joined this board there have been countless hate threads on Autism Speaks every week. I have yet to see one, one, one, one, one, one thread touting the glories of the Asperger organizations stateside that support your mandates and what you all stand for which is to be left alone and not seen as disabled people. What perplexes me is that there is never any talk about the organizations you do like and the ones that you stand by. That's the point I'm making. But, you've got all the time in the world to go after others that are primarily for Autism, not Aspergers anyway.

And, what's even crazier, is that you hate anyone and anything affiliated with them. Barnes & Noble. Toys 'R Us. Hey, I heard several fastfood restaurants are considering putting their puzzle piece on their takeout bags. Let's all stop eating fastfood in hatred of them. As a matter of fact, let's all stop eating altogether. There's an idea. How about a hunger strike?

As soon as someone donates 30 million dollars to start an Autism Organization that actually speaks for autistics, I'll gladly talk about them. As it stands, Autism Speaks too financially significant to ignore. The negative impact they're having is significant as well.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 9:58 pm

Yeah, and their subtle hate speech.

Does anyone catch their hate speech?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 2:10 am

NewportBeachDude, the simple fact is that Autism speaks choice of a self descriptive term(Autism Speaks) is at odds with their mission. Without debating all else, their very title is deceptive. They speak for parents.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2008, 3:02 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Pepperfire, if you do a search on NewsportBleachPseude's posts, you'll see that he get a kick out of winding people up, covert and overtly, and isn't an aspie and is just a playground style, internet bully. Just ignore him and eventually he'll pick on someone else. [But he will follow you from thread to thread for a while.]

So, it's you again! I thought you were going to ignore my posts since you don't agree with anything I say and you slammed me before for stating an opinion.

I think I've made some good posts on this board and have enjoyed chatting with many people here, including people I don't agree with. It's a lame excuse to call someone who supports Autism Speaks or doesn't hold your viewpoints covert and a troll (mentioned above). Name calling won't win your arguments. That's the last resort of someone who doesn't have anything else to offer. I'm not a bully just because I support a group you all hate. As a matter of fact, it seems like hating NTs and Autism Speaks is a sport for many here, so who's really the bully?

Well, I don't go there. I don't hate other people. I don't organizations. And, I don't diss one that's doing a good service to the community. Again, if you don't like this one, why are you not supporting ones that you believe fit your goals? That is the million dollar question you all seem to skirt, yet readily villify an organization that's not even for you! It's for Autistics. And, I happen to be the parent of an Autistic son.

If you're going to spend all this time villifying one group, why don't you give me solid, sound examples of another organization like it that represents the Asperger community 100%, 100% of time. I'm waiting.

Name calling will never win your argument. I've got some solid posts on this board, well thoughout, interesting and even supportive (Parent's Boad and General Discussion). Have a look. No matter how many of these threads you start, I will still hold the same position. And, as long as this board is open to Members, I'll state it.

Last edited by NewportBeachDude on 19 Mar 2008, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2008, 3:19 pm

DW_a_mom and SDFarsight, I totally agree with your posts. It is futile of Aspies to spend all this time hating on this organization when none of them is doing anything constructive to bring their grievances to the attention of Autism Speaks in civil way, whether they're legit or not. This is my opinion and I stand firmly by it, I think some of their grievances are misguided because they are high-functioning people who don't have the issues that many low to mid-functioning Autistics have. And, they're not raising severly Autistic kids.

Personally, there should be room on this planet, ones for research, ones of awareness, ones that seek a cure, ones for treatment, ones for support, etc... If Aspies don't like any of them, you can start your own. So many people here don't like any representation of Autism because they think it makes them, high functioning Aspies, look bad. Again, start your own. Let the world know that you are not like the Autistics ASpeaks talks about and leave that group to those who want what they have to offer.

Last, how about my post about some of the issues facing Aspies right now, particularly children. Who's going to tackle those issues? Autism Speaks, of course.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:00 pm

NudesportLeechFrood, I was talking to Pepperfire, not you. I don't like to see Jerks picking fights and deliberatly winding up Autistics. This is a support forum for Aspies, not a playground for you to get your rocks off in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:49 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
NudesportLeechFrood, I was talking to Pepperfire, not you. I don't like to see Jerks picking fights and deliberatly winding up Autistics. This is a support forum for Aspies, not a playground for you to get your rocks off in.

I agree. I like to come here, and speak my mind, without bullies like you, winding me up. I'd also like to stress that Autism Speaks does not speak most of us, who come here, to post. Today's children will have a better future, due to patient, easygoing teachers, who are willing to work with all types of kids. I give today's teachers the credit, because they are willing to listen to what autistic children have to say, and they're the ones who realize that there are a large number of people on the spectrum, who are high functioning. What level of functioning is your kid, anyways? I hope that your kid doesn't grow up to hate you, because of the way that you are supporting Autism Speaks. I've noticed how you follow the rest of us members around the boards, just like a bully on a playground. This is not a playground, this is a public forum. If you stalk me and flame me, I'm just going to ignore you. I'm sure that the Autism Speaks web community is waiting to hear posts, that they can relate to. I have my reasons, for not liking Autism Speaks. You should watch the Autism Everyday videos, to get what I'm talking about. Maybe you already did, and you think that your child will never get anywhere in life, no matter what level of functioning your kid is. If a cure is forced upon me, because of Autism Speaks, I'm not going to take it. The reason that I refuse to take the cure, is because I've learned how to adapt to my AS, and the world, around me. Autistic children need parents who are patient, accepting and understanding. Are you willing to be patient, accepting and understanding. I hope that Autism Speaks isn't advocating Chelatin Thearapy. I'm for orginizations that wish to offer support, for people who are on the Spectrum. I'm not for orginizations who try to receive pity from the public. There are a lot of people on the spectrum, who do not wish to be cured. I think that all of us at WrongPlanet are more than able, to speak for ourselves.

Last edited by CockneyRebel on 20 Mar 2008, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:55 pm

Well said Cockney, [Or is it actually Sid, that does all the posting?...]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 7:22 pm

Zarathustra wrote:
Well said Cockney, [Or is it actually Sid, that does all the posting?...]

CockneyRebel, up until 2006. Sid from 2007, onward. :O)

SDFarsight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2008, 7:47 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
DW_a_mom and SDFarsight, I totally agree with your posts. It is futile of Aspies to spend all this time hating on this organization when none of them is doing anything constructive to bring their grievances to the attention of Autism Speaks in civil way.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only one who implied that WP members aren't doing things in a civil way is yourself, misunderstanding or fabricating our intentions. Your tone of message saying that some of us are "hating on this organization" sounds like you're dismissing the real and serious issues, as if we're a bunch of teens that are just looking for something to throw our weight on.

Ironically, it looks like you are the one doing the trolling.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2008, 6:58 pm

Zarathustra wrote:

Again, insults won't win your argument. They reflect upon you, not me. I've stated an honest opinion and just because you don't agree, it's an easy copout to call "troll." Especially when you avoid answering legitimate questions, particularly the ones I've asked about regarding what Aspies are doing to help Aspies out there who are struggling.

And, as far as Cokney's post, I was told this board was open to Autistics and parents or caregivers of Autistics. If that has changed, the owners of the board need to let me know that, not you. This isn't your board, nor is it mine. We are guests on this board because an outstanding Aspie took the time to create a space where those on the spectrum could chat. I do believe the board was created by and Moderated by Alex, whom I have a lot of respect for, even though I may not agree with him. He has never insulted me and allows me (and others who share my views) to post freely, although I'm sure he doesn't always agree.

You can argue with me until the cows come home, but flames aren't going to change my opinion. I support Autism Speaks and until you show me the organizations you support or what you're doing to help Aspergians out there who are struggling every day with issues, I stand firm that the Autism community needs organizations like Autism Speaks. But, the ones who don't like it should not be bothered with it. That's all I'm saying. I feel their efforts would be better spent creating, supporting, acknowledging organizations that speak for them!

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

SDFarsight wrote:
NewportBeachDude wrote:
DW_a_mom and SDFarsight, I totally agree with your posts. It is futile of Aspies to spend all this time hating on this organization when none of them is doing anything constructive to bring their grievances to the attention of Autism Speaks in civil way.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only one who implied that WP members aren't doing things in a civil way is yourself, misunderstanding or fabricating our intentions. Your tone of message saying that some of us are "hating on this organization" sounds like you're dismissing the real and serious issues, as if we're a bunch of teens that are just looking for something to throw our weight on.

Ironically, it looks like you are the one doing the trolling.

SDFarsight, I'm sorry but there have been countless threads on WP hating on on Autism Speaks. When I first joined, there was thread called "Hating Autism Speaks." And, I've read posts about annihilating Autism Speaks. And, posts where members here go to their board to stir up trouble with parents there. Countless.

It wasn't made up. I wish it were. Again, we know what organizations you don't like. My point is, give us the ones you do like and why. Let us know about these groups and why you support them so that people can see the difference and understand exactly which ones Aspies would support. That's my point...not to go on hating something you're not going to change.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:10 pm

Zarathustra wrote:

Hey, man, I say take your own advice and ignore him.

As for me, I just skipped right over his last several posts.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:33 pm

I do think that you may be missing a couple of important points here, NewportBeachDude, so I'll try to explain it.

Generally speaking, autistics are not good at those forms of organisation that the "normal" world insists on. I strongly suspect that this in itself constitutes the main reason that autistic-run organisations are few, fragmented and disorganised (with apologies to those that are not).

I would hope that this situation is steadily changing. We actually NEED people like you to run our organisations, because we are cr*p at that sort of thing (again generally speaking).

What we see in Autism Speaks is a well-oiled, money-spinning machine. We envy it. That much is true, if we are being honest. All that money to play with.

===============

The first problem we have with it is its name. We're sticklers for accuracy (have you noticed?) and the name suggests that is is "autism" that is speaking. We look deeper, and find the organisation to be devoid of any speaking autistics. Autism Belly-Speaks. (For those that miss that, I just thought of it, and I don't know if I'm the first, but "Ventriloquist" literally means "Belly-speaker".)

Next, we believe it uses unprincipled methods to acquire its funds. It uses scare tactics and proffers the carrot of a mythical "cure for autism" to desperate parents.

Those parents are then sheltered from any dangerous knowledge - such as the fact that the majority of autists get along pretty well in the world, provided they get a little assistance, and are not shoe-horned into living a life that is constantly stressful.

We also feel that it misdirects its funds. After the half that goes back into the organisation itself, the rest is mostly spent on genetic research for a cure. From their records, I saw none of the money going into support or treatment for autistics.

===================

Personally, in the UK, I am lucky, and have the NAS. They are an organisation that grew in much the same way as Autism Speaks, from a predominantly parent-based start. However, they have always (I think) treated research as low-priority, focusing on support and education.

============

The royal "we" in the above is used without a licence.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:39 pm

And please don't harass people for venting about "Autism Speaks". Sometimes they are hard to avoid, and their stuff gets a little insulting.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2008, 2:18 am

morning_after wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

Hey, man, I say take your own advice and ignore him.

As for me, I just skipped right over his last several posts.

I couldn't agree with you more. Ignore posts from opposing views and that'll settle half the arguments. Well said. :lol: