Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2008, 4:24 pm

Sometimes when I'm having a face-to-face conversation with someone, they tell me that my mouth moves by itself when I'm not talking. Or, they say that I look like I'm smirking (even though I'm not).

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2008, 4:26 pm

I think some motor tics are a trait of the spectrum. I... think.
I scrunch up my face or blink really hard, just because I have to, or clench/jerk my jaw or my head.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Mar 2008, 4:34 pm

I had them much worse than I do now, in both 7th and 8th grades. Now I have some mild ones, like clenching my jaw, and blinking a lot.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 5:26 pm

From another thread

digger1 wrote:
jesus ti**yfu**ing christ, I wish people would stop thinking every little bump, scratch, sniffle and sneeze is due to their aspergers!

I have a cold - is it aspergers?

I'm gay, is it aspergers?

I burned my finger. Is it because I have aspergers?

COPE!

Facial tics, hangnails, enlarged prostrate, ringing in the ears or whatever else you hypochondriacs can think of...

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2008, 5:37 pm

:roll:

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 5:43 pm

digger1 wrote:
From another thread

digger1 wrote:
jesus ti**yfu**ing christ, I wish people would stop thinking every little bump, scratch, sniffle and sneeze is due to their aspergers!

COPE!

Facial tics, hangnails, enlarged prostrate, ringing in the ears or whatever else you hypochondriacs can think of...

You know, I actually did hear being gay is a sign of Aspergers.
Food for thought.

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2008, 7:17 pm

I often blink fast when I'm talking.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 7:55 pm

Tic toc topic

Yay, Kalister1 For Prez! :cheers:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 8:39 pm

They're not really "tics", rather, they're classed as "inappropriate facial expressions", even if they look like "tics" (I'd say "twitches" would be a more accurate description).

Common.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

digger1 wrote:
From another thread

digger1 wrote:

COPE!

I think there's a point to this one...though I don't have any tics, I just have a blank face :P

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

13 Mar 2008, 12:11 am

A reminder for some....

Please keep in mind that newer members haven't heard it all yet, like those who have been around long enough to see the hundreds of threads on whether AS is connected with this or that. And regardless of one's joining date, it is always appropriate to ask well-meaning questions like this one. It's not okay to start belittling people who ask questions that you are tired of hearing. If you don't like it, just go hang out in other threads.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 8:56 am

I think tics are often mentioned in the 'likely symptom list' of AS. If not AS, then the sufferer often has some other 'bad brain disorder :? ' like OCD, Tourettes, ADD etc etc.

I've suffered from facial tics since age 9. Not so bad now, but if in a situation where I have to concentrate on not ticcing, when I finally get out, they come back 20 times stronger for a while!

I've often wondered exactly what the physiological reason for tics are. Surprised to find that there's hardly any research been done. I've mentioned it to several doctors over the years, and their replies are generally utter nonsense: "you need to look at things a long way away, and not read so many books" 8O

Something to do with Dopamine processing in the brain, maybe. Interesting as Dopamine processing that is different to NT is implicated in ADD, too.

Actually, I don't want to trivialise tics as they've probably caused me more difficulties than anything else. It's the one symptom I really would like to cure, but I guess I'm never going to no what it's like to live life without them now. :cry:

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 8:21 pm

It could be tourette's syndrome. If you look at the diagnostic criteria for tourette's, you'll probably see that it's not always as severe as people think.

diagnostic criteria:
http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/dsm.html

if you think it poses a serious problem the only treatments they have for tourette's are various medications, usually anti psychotics and SSRI's (type of antidepressant). Some people notice an increase in tics while on stimulants (usually prescribed for adhd), while others also report no difference or a decrease in tics. I'm in the second category, my tics aren't often enough or obvious enough for me to notice if they've stayed the same or decreased but they certainly haven't increased.

many people discontinue the anti psychotics because of side-effects, mainly a change in mood, dull intellect, zombie-like feeling, etc. if you want treatment for it, be sure to look at all the options as well as all the side effects and ask yourself if it's worth it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 9:00 pm

tell them your actual words are Japanese, but are being edited for American audiences...;)

honestly, if they have that much problem with it, who has the real issue?