God Damn America - that's what Obama's pastor preached

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 10:40 pm

"Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4443788&page=1

I'm shocked. 8O The article states this guy has been Obama's pastor for 20 years. I'm not sure I want a president who listens to stuff like that.

On a side note, why does his pastor think that building bigger prisons and increasing prison sentences for third-time offenders is anti-black?. What does being tough on criminals have to do with black people? I know it can't be that blacks commit more crimes because I was told it was racist to think that.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 11:07 pm

Check the stats, zendell - across the US, blacks tend to be treated more harshly than any other ethnic grouping except Hispanics. Crimes which merit months for Caucasians, or even suspended sentences, get multi-year terms for blacks. That's one of the reasons more prisons are being built - so the question doesn't have to be addressed.

Incidentally, it might be worthwhile to include another paragraph from that same story:

Quote:
In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees."

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 11:48 pm

Any of you remember the religious connections of our last several presidents?

I haven't seen a president lately who hasn't buddied up with some religious zealot whom I do not approve of.

Obama wouldn't be much different.

Sharpton, Jackson, even Graham and Roberts have shot their mouths off and said many poor things about this country and it's citizens.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:04 am

wsmac wrote:

I haven't seen a president lately who hasn't buddied up with some religious zealot whom I do not approve of.

Sharpton, Jackson, even Graham and Roberts have shot their mouths off and said many poor things about this country and it's citizens.

I know of others. Another candidate running for president this year accepted an endorsement by a pastor who called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and some other nasty stuff. I was really shocked because of what was said about America. I would have left the church if I heard the pastor say that about my country. I wouldn't tolerate a pastor preaching hatred.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:15 am

zendell wrote:
... a pastor who called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and some other nasty stuff. I was really shocked because of what was said about America. I would have left the church if I heard the pastor say that about my country. I wouldn't tolerate a pastor preaching hatred.

Yeah, I wish our politicians would speak out about those types of people. They sure seem to find it easy to blast regular folks for what we say, but not religious leaders.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2008, 6:57 am

I can't believe that Obama is still in the race. He & his wife ('I've never been proud of America') have been listening to this pastor's crap at their 'church's' Sunday hate rallies.

If Obama was white, he'd be finished.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:45 am

zendell wrote:
wsmac wrote:

I know of others. Another candidate running for president this year accepted an endorsement by a pastor who called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and some other nasty stuff. I was really shocked because of what was said about America. I would have left the church if I heard the pastor say that about my country. I wouldn't tolerate a pastor preaching hatred.

You mean John Hagee?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Randy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 11:40 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
zendell wrote:
wsmac wrote:

You mean John Hagee?

John McCain at least repudiated Hagees comments a few days ago and condemned them.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

14 Mar 2008, 5:56 pm

Obama's church is psychotically anti-America and pro-absolute black power. If you were to replace references to "black," "African American," and "Africa" with "white" and other related terms, the public would freak. He's the black Huckabee.

I'm glad McCain isn't trying to kiss the ass of the fundie machine...

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

Okay, now Obama has officially repudiated these comments.

Turns out he'd actually condemned them back near the beginning of his campaign, but people were too busy trying to spread a rumor that he was a secret Islamic-fundamentalist al-Qaeda mole to listen then.

Satisfied yet? Or will Obama need to reject the church's very hymnal, shoot the preacher in the head, and burn down the church before this one will be allowed to die? (Sadly, my hopes aren't very high - there are still people claiming the state-run school Obama attended overseas was a madrassa...)

Oh, by the way, if you don't think McCain is kissing fundie arse, you missed his appearance at Liberty University a few months back, not to mention his endorsement from Bob Jones U.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:14 pm

Obama in on Countdown with Keith Olberman right now

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2008, 7:40 pm

OMG once again people buy a politicians backtrack Obama chose this "church" because of this "pasture", it that doesn’t say he's a racist pretending to believe in unity, I don't know what does. Note how I said Politician, not democrat or republican, in spite of me being more conservative I'm still an independent in my views. This Pasture is a bigot in the same sense of the KKK, black panthers, Arian nation, nation of Islam, and any other hate group from any respective race. Also what people define as Race is a fraction of a fraction of the human genetic code people in general need to get over it.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:53 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Satisfied yet? Or will Obama need to reject the church's very hymnal, shoot the preacher in the head, and burn down the church before this one will be allowed to die?

Well, he could just leave that particular church :scratch:, there are plenty of churches in the country, yet he remains an official, current, and I assume paying, member. I myself have belonged to a few nutty churches in my life but ultimately, if I find the sermons and atmosphere offensive, I vote with my feet and leave.

As far as comparing this church (which has handed out an award to Louis Farrakhan-- a racist, homphobic, anti-Semitic, historical revisionist) to those of modern-day presidents, this one comes out on the extremist and disturbing side of the scale.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:03 pm

zendell wrote:
"Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon.

I'm shocked. 8O The article states this guy has been Obama's pastor for 20 years. I'm not sure I want a president who listens to stuff like that.

On a side note, why does his pastor think that building bigger prisons and increasing prison sentences for third-time offenders is anti-black?. What does being tough on criminals have to do with black people? I know it can't be that blacks commit more crimes because I was told it was racist to think that.
Obama is not his pastor. Furthermore, Obama had a secular humanist upbringing. Before making any assumptions about what this means, what it actually entailed was a concerted effort, by his mother, who was a cultural anthropologist if I recall correctly, to expose him to a great diversity of different belief systems and encourage him in his spiritual explorations. I think that Obama's religious upbringing actually makes him more qualified than most to create productive dialogue between members of ethnicities and belief systems around the world. In fact, it makes him uniquely qualified to be sent to speak to the world's hearts.

Thanks to a non-believer.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 12:35 am

Obama is not his Pastor. He renounced the words. I think the pastor was speaking figuratively that God is higher than the country, which is true. He does not mean literally to destroy America.

His Wife said this is the first time she was "REALLY PROUD of her country as an ADULT". She did not say she was ashamed of her country as whole. She is not a crafty wordy politcian.

She is only 42 years old. Which means she has been an adult for 24 years. Which means she was an Adult for:

Reagan, Bush Sr. Clinton, and W. Bush. Can you see why Obama's wife would not be Extremly proud of Reagan/Bush while running against a Clinton?

I think when you start attacking a person's family and religion, it is because you have run out of other things to slander the candidate on.

Idaho Aspie

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 12:37 am

zendell wrote:

Do you think that all Catholics should be banned from office because their priests molested children? They didn't leave the church, they donate to the church, so obviously they must logically support the molestation of children, right?