Has anyone ever met an extreme narcissist?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:43 pm

People who have to prove they're better than you? People who cringe at the words "imperfection", "flawed", "old", "stupid?

I met one last year. A real creep, control freak, general load of insecurities, jealousy, need to be 'special', hated anyone perceived to be 'special' with all his guts, dreaded getting old without doing something 'special'. A real creep this one. One of his biggest fears was getting old in the meantime without doing anything that distinguished him, which caused him to be depressed and frustrated. His biggest ambition is to see his name in some important international journal, though I highly doubt that would ever happen as he just simply doesn't have what it takes. He's an English teacher, though he's not that good in that department (studied to much grammar and forgot some other aspects). He dreams of being a model (still - that's for little girls) and hates each wrinkle that appears on his face with all his heart. Face it, man, you're getting old. You're not going to be anything in this life. You just don't have what it takes.
Paranoid, delusional, depressed and afraid of his own shadow. He has an extreme sense of entitlement. Thinks he can control things which are way out of his control. He just doesn't get it. Why, I wonder?
A creep. I can't stress that enough. A creep.

So...have you had the pleasure to meet a similar creature?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 7:46 pm

My mother reminded me a bit of that woman Generosa from Murder in the Hamptons. Did anyone ever see that? She herself called Generosa a b***h though, and got mad when she did something horrible.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 8:09 pm

I'm not familiar with that film...

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:06 pm

I forgot to add passive agressive - too cowardly. Besides being afraid of his own shadow, he's one of the biggest cowards I've ever seen. My God.

Creep.

Surrealist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2008, 9:07 pm

You're being a little judgemental of your friend. He might just be insecure and afraid of failure and want his life to mean something. There's nothing wrong with that. All kinds of people feel that way.

Your profile says your interest is abnormal psych. Narcissism is abnormal. I'd think you'd be fascinated by it and research it's cause rather than be repulsed by it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:15 pm

Surrealist wrote:
You're being a little judgemental of your friend. He might just be insecure and afraid of failure and want his life to mean something. There's nothing wrong with that. All kinds of people feel that way.

He's not my friend. This is more a rant than anything else. I, unfortuantly, fell in his control freak-induced net.
And he's definitly insecure and afraid of failure, among other things and takes out his insecurities on others...others who in some way are what he is not.

Quote:
Your profile says your interest is abnormal psych. Narcissism is abnormal. I'd think you'd be fascinated by it and research it's cause rather than be repulsed by it.

I find it interesting because I find it repulsive. It may sound a bit strange, but that's the way it is.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

Yes, I have had the fascinating experience of living with more than one individual who fit the definition of narcissism. It was a challenging experience to say the least, but now I can look back on it with curiosity. I wonder how people end up like that.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:19 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Yes, I have had the fascinating experience of living with more than one individual who fit the definition of narcissism. It was a challenging experience to say the least, but now I can look back on it with curiosity. I wonder how people end up like that.

Low self esteem is one trigger. In his case it's really low...that's why he does the things he does and thinks the way he thinks.

Personally, I think it's problematic to put your standards too high. If you want to be the next Chomsky you're bound to get frustrated. You then get low self esteem, because you realise you're getting old and you're nowhere near a Chomsky or anything similar and struggle with mid-life crisis induced by that.

He just doesn't really see that and hates it when his flaws are pointed out.

Last edited by SilverProteus on 15 Mar 2008, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surrealist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2008, 9:22 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Surrealist wrote:

He's not my friend. This is more a rant than anything else. I, unfortuantly, fell in his control freak-induced net.
And he's definitly insecure and afraid of failure, among other things and takes out his insecurities on others...others who in some way are what he is not.

Quote:

I find it interesting because I find it repulsive. It may sound a bit strange, but that's the way it is.

That's undestandable. No offence meant. I found it curious that you'd gone on so about this gentleman with the oversized ego, considering your interests.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:25 pm

Surrealist wrote:
That's undestandable. No offence meant. I found it curious that you'd gone on so about this gentleman with the oversized ego, considering your interests.

None taken.

He's harassing me in real life. I'm mostly ranting.

My interests are to understand people who (urgh) I got entangled with.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:32 pm

Is this the same person that is sticking his nose in your business you that you mentioned in the other thread?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:34 pm

Yes.

(Sorry for the waste of forum space, I just really need to get this out.)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:55 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I forgot to add passive agressive - too cowardly. Besides being afraid of his own shadow, he's one of the biggest cowards I've ever seen. My God.

Creep.
My math teacher from grade 9 in a nutshell
Instead of teaching math, he talked about his baby, his wife, his math visions, his dentist, and a bunch of personal stuff that I didn't care to know about.

Plus he would lecture me about not trying hard enough when he didn't even teach!! ! Jerk!

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 10:15 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Yes.

(Sorry for the waste of forum space, I just really need to get this out.)

I wasn't implying that I thought it was a waste of space I was just curious is all. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 11:03 pm

My brother. I wish he'd change the way he thinks about other ppl. He's so smart but he always puts himself above everyone else. He's been in jail twice for 2 years. He violated his probation and is now in jail for another 2 years. He's just had a child a year ago. Very sweet little baby and he doesn't pay child support. I wish he'd straighten his act. I use to hate him but now I feel sorry for him. He still has this belief that he can outdo anyone including the authority. I don't know if it was the way he grew up. He's our half brother, my dad's son. I know his mother was heavily involved in drugs. He really looks at life as a competion even when no one challeges him. Just when things are getting better for him, he has to get mad and damage it some how.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 11:49 pm

It's been suggested my dad has narcissism, as in the disorder. My mom justifies this by saying all professional musicians have narcissism- it's part of how they become successful.

I try very hard to keep myself from exhibiting these traits (I certainly HOPE I'm doing ok with that), and also find myself oddly drawn, at least initially, to men who show signs of this abnormal behavior- probably because I grew up so familiar with it.

I fell into that trap here my first semester a little bit- God, was that guy the biggest as*hole I have yet to get to know.
The term "creep" very much applies to him, also. He would stalk me, and accuse me of being a lesbian all the time because I wouldn't sleep with him.