Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

Mine got clobbered over 30 years ago, when I flunked out of engineering and shuffled myself to an associate degree technology program. On the job, I couldn't deal with OJT, social concerns and untrained bosses fast enough so that didn't help. All in all it took about 4 years to put myself back together.

Gorilla glue is really good stuff. I recommend it. :wink:

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 8:44 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Many, many times.

I'd love to read more about your story(ies) :D

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 8:48 pm

My ego is strong but modest enough to handle most insults. It sure took a nap earlier today though.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 1:01 am

I don't believe I've ever had one, as I've only ever been briefly talented at one thing or another. :wink: Seriously though I get embarrassed when anyone praises me. I don't like it. I enjoy praising others much more then being on the receiving end.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 1:12 am

Yeah My ego been shattered all throughout my life. As you get to the higher paying jobs you see that it requires not only intellectual skills but also communication skills. Sometimes it ain't about how much book smarts you have but how much common sense you have to be successful in life.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 2:52 am

I don't have one.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2008, 3:09 am

I've been told I have an ego the size of Alaska.

However, it shrinks to Rhode Island size whenever I have to deal with other kids at college. I actually stopped going to the Bible Study because the kids and the leader made no effort to really reach out to me at all. One leader did but he never understood me at all and has been pretty rude to me lately.

But I've stopped going to that and because of academic skills, for better or worse, we're nearing a return to our nation's biggest state in terms of size right about now.

(I really should work on this ego problem of mine, I'll admit it--maybe it should stop expanding at about Ohio size?)

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 3:09 am

No. My ego is based on unshatterable truth. :P

Those who know, don't speak.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 7:28 am

Once, but at that time, I had no ego, so there was nothing much to shatter. Now my ego is... huge to say at least. Borders arrogance for sure, but not superiority.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 8:01 am

Oh yes. I was intelligent, smart, creative, interesting, intuitive, sweet, respectful, and.........speacial. No one ever brought up the term Aspergers in any of my psych. evaluations. In fact, I was told I was so gifted that I'd have the world underneath me. The quirks were usually over-looked as just being shy and having been brought up by an alcholic father, which yeah maybe it did have some affect but not by a long shot. My way of learning was just different from most people's. I was lucky to have teachers that worked with me, I guess in some ways this helped me succeed in school. No one really taught me about the Real World. I don't think you exclusively you have to have Asperegers to see the difference between text books and dealing with real life people. I was never really taught about social skills and how to be interdependent. I think those are the 2 most important things in my opinion to keep a job down. Anyway, what a shock. 8O

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 9:51 am

If a healthy ego is a shiny and smooth glass sphere, then mine is a shiny and smooth glass sphere that has been ground into dust, scattered onto the ground, stomped into the dirt, and then peed on. Then I am forced to eat it and say "that was delicious can I have some more" only to get kicked in the teeth by a steel toed boot that is covered in dog crap.

....The steel toed dog crap boot represents life.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:02 am

Yes - the first few lines of your story are exactly the same as I could have written!

My problems only began in the Sixth-Form at school (the last 2 years of high school, for the benefit of those outside the UK.)

I had always been really really good at Maths - and then suddenly we had Mechanics - and I just COULDN'T GET IT!! !!

I then went to University to study Physics and ended up failing my first year. I now know that the problem was due to the teaching style being incompatible with my learning style (I was sitting in lectures scribbling stuff down word for word from the board, panicking when it got rubbed off before I had finished, and not taking in one single thing!)

I have posted elsewhere about how shattering it was for me to discover that in the world of work, c**p such as people skills was actually valued higher than intelligence. (This is a concept I still struggle with. as you can see!! !)

And then I was told I could never be management material because of my "defective personality". Since I had perceived myself to be "on the fast track", I was completely devastated.

And actually I have had my ego shattered again only last week, when I was told that I would never be good enough to pass the dancing exam I had been working towards for the last 3 years.

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2008, 6:46 pm

My ego has been shattered many times over the course of my life so far.

8/1/1990 - my father thinks I'm "just NOT trying" to learn how to tell the truth
12/19/1997 - the Deaf kids @ Finneytown Middle School both hate me cuz I'm a beginner signer, they don't realize it, and they really don't care anymore
12/10/1999 - my father wants me in jail but my mom doesn't...I still feel like I'm in jail cuz they wanna put me in a psychiatric facility that takes all my stuff from me and violates many of my other rights
9/22/2000 - I was admitted to the most miserable place I'd ever been in my whole life (CARITAS Peace Center, Louisville, KY, USA; thankfully I was only there 9 days)
12/11/2001 - my father put me on the street just 3 weeks after I had turned 18
12/13/2003 - my favorite Deaf-Blind friend hurt my feelings right there in front of everyone
2/6/2004 - all 4 of the local Deaf-Blind individuals in Cincinnati, OH, USA pushed me away, hurting my feelings once again, right there in front of everyone
4/27/2005 - I graduated from college, can't find a job to rebuild my life, and can't move to Seattle, WA, USA to get back with the Deaf-Blind cuz apartment rents there are too high
1/28/2008 - I thought I was just about to get back with the Deaf-Blind, got hit with a gas & electric bill for >$230, and found out I was NOT just about to get back with the Deaf-Blind

The best emotional support I ever got was from the Deaf-Blind in 2003. I need that kind of emotional support again. There has to be acceptance for me from the Deaf-Blind somewhere in the USA!! ! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:10 pm

Arbie wrote:
If a healthy ego is a shiny and smooth glass sphere, then mine is a shiny and smooth glass sphere that has been ground into dust, scattered onto the ground, stomped into the dirt, and then peed on. Then I am forced to eat it and say "that was delicious can I have some more" only to get kicked in the teeth by a steel toed boot that is covered in dog crap.

....The steel toed dog crap boot represents life.

Arbie, I just want to give you a hug. You have the innate ability to make others laugh. You know that, right?

Mw99, You life will get better. I was like you once. I had really high expectations, and never could make anything of them because of circumstance, and that's usually the problem.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:34 pm

If my ego was a vase, the bottom would be shattered to dust,
but the way I look at it, if you place me in a river,
I will always be overflowing and full.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 1:19 pm

Ego is one of those emotions I pretty much killed off years ago. I was told I was smart and stupid from a variety of different people my whole life. My first impression was always one of idiocy for a long time, and until you scratched the surface that seems true. I've since fixed that, but I still don't think too highly of myself.