Barack Obama's brilliant speech regarding race in America

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:27 pm

Well he never claimed to be part of any organization like that, but he has still rallied hate speech. let me rephrase that then.... What if huckabee had a minister who was openly racist and espousing hate speech, and Huck stated "I don't support all his views but I'll continue to support his efforts?". I just used Huckabee as a random though.

Bill Cosby grew up during segregation, but he's moved on, and he's the most positive black leader I've seen to date in a long time. I've got loads of respect for that man.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:12 pm

Of National Lies and Racial America by Tim Wise

I also don't agree that Wright's views are comparable to the KKK. I was at first taken aback by his words, but after looking at it more closely I realize that he was not blaming the victims of 9/11. He was saying that 9/11 was the tragic but predictable result of American foreign policy. Have we become so hypersensitive that we will immediately brand dissent as offensive?

Like Obama said, Wright's views may be misguided at times but they come from entirely justifiable feelings of marginalization. Apparently Bill Cosby is one of the only black people who discusses these issues which white America can completely accept. Guess what? Many blacks don't agree with Cosby, and that is entirely understandable.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 7:43 pm

Just by reading that long transcript, this speech does not appear to be anything too out of the ordinary in terms of a politician who is running office speech. I'm told Obama is charismatic, so the same speech/rhetoric somehow gets bonus points for him. It somewhat vague tried to address the issue while trying to get both sides to like him (which is pretty normal for politicians running for office), but has lots of Obama's "inspirational" wording in it, along with occasional attacks on corporations/capitalism. I don't particularly see why people are saying this is an amazing and groundbreaking speech.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 10:03 pm

snake321 wrote:
Well he never claimed to be part of any organization like that, but he has still rallied hate speech. let me rephrase that then.... What if huckabee had a minister who was openly racist and espousing hate speech, and Huck stated "I don't support all his views but I'll continue to support his efforts?". I just used Huckabee as a random though.

Bill Cosby grew up during segregation, but he's moved on, and he's the most positive black leader I've seen to date in a long time. I've got loads of respect for that man.
Why did you select Mike Huckabee, rather than John McCain?

John McCain, the current Republican nominee, embraced Jerry Falwell in 2006 and spoke at Jerry Falwell's university.

After the World Trade Center attacks, Falwell said
Quote:
The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say "you helped this happen.
Which part of what Barack Obama's preacher said is more hateful than this?

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 12:50 am

snake321 wrote:
I got a question here. Lets say, for random example....... Huckabee, attended a racist, KKK church, and then told his supporters something to the effect that his minister has always been in his corner yadda yadda yadda like Obama said, and he then went and told people "I don't agree with everything he says but I'll still support him".... What do you think the public reaction would be like?

Is it possible that Obama is a lot like Bill CLinton, that he is just a charming, charismatic deciever? He certainly attends a lot of CFR meetings. he could merely be an up-graded sharpton or Farakhan. I don't think Obama himself is racist, but he is a politician, who has played the fiddle for big business organizations such as the CFR, like a fluff. So I don't think he's racist, but I wouldn't put it past him to use his race as a divisive political tool either.

I think if you know the man, and heard the speech with an open mind, you might find some of it factually incorrect, but I don't think it was racisit or offensive to anyone on a personal level.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 10:56 am

velodog wrote:
Griff wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Obama's best presidential skill is oration. Axelrod writes these soaringly dramatic speeches about American unity, which don't sound anything like Obama when he's interviewed, and then Obama reads those speeches from the teleprompter. [Insert swooning]
But whenever Barack doesn't have his trustee teleprompter, he's the cure for insomnia. "Um, we have to, um, pull together as a nation, um, and we, uh, need to remember our history, ah, and of course hope in, ah, the future..." ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

I will give him one thing: He pronounces words better than George W. Bush, and Bush would probably be the first to admit that, if he already hasn't. But, see, I want more than a president who can read well from a teleprompter. Reading is a good skill. But still, I find myself wanting more. :|
Obama is a people person, not a thinking person. I've really said this from the beginning. He is very skilled at working effectively with his staff, and this is an important reason for my support of his candidacy. He's a good team player.
Having someone who can think about situations rather than muddle their way through on "feelings" would be a good idea. Jimmy Carter appeared reluctant to deal with any situations that could lead to him having to answer hard questions. He actively undermined the Shah of Iran, which led directly to the Islamic Republic being formed. Tha situation, in turn led to our Embassy being taken over. Carters total lack of cojones and willingly playing the role of Charlie Brown in the negotiations with Iran was ridiculous. Those negotiations were in fact, just a parody of the running joke in the Peanuts comic strip where Lucy repeatedly assures Charlie that she will hold the football for him to kick. He always tried to kick the ball and got frustrated every time he ended up on his back looking at the sky. The Soviets were so impressed with this total lack of Presidential skills that they decided that the time had come to realize their decades long ambition to invade Afghanistan. George Bush Senior, on the other hand, was very willing to kick peoples asses. He was so willing to do so that one of his State Dept employees "inadvertently" gave the go ahead to Iraq to press their 26th Province initiative and invade Kuwait. Oops! I recall in the early 90's before we got an easy victory over Iraq that people were not that enthused with the war. It was only in the wake of a relatively easy victory that I heard anyone get hawkish about "We shoulda gone all the way to Bagdad. Why the hell did we stop?" Well, gee I don't know? Maybe because the goal of the Resolution brought before the United Abominations that created the coalition had been achieved. So between Carter having no balls and Bush Sr having an over riding ambition, between the two of them, they set up a lot of the current instability in the Middle East. I do see parallels in their personalities of the "feeler" Obama and the cut throats Hilary and John, neither of whom in my opinion have any scruples. I'm voting 3rd Party just so I won't have any of these three individuals on my conscience.

8)