Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 12:36 pm

pandabear wrote:
Don't forget: singing, dancing, and minstrel shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyfAh_7ZV0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyfAh_7ZV0[/youtube]

What was that one movie in which black guys pretend to be minstrel actors?

They had simply put white makeup around their eyes. :lol: They were black people pretending to white people who were pretending to be black people. Now, THAT'S hard to act!

Last edited by Ragtime on 26 Mar 2008, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 12:36 pm

I am not going to touch this one 8O

Last edited by spudnik on 26 Mar 2008, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:23 pm

For the love of god :roll: It's one thing to say something out of humor and its another to do things out of spite and bitterness. give me a break.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:24 pm

Ragtime wrote:
hardly representative of the people indicated.

I assume no one has a problem with this fair play and equal treatment?
NO KIDDING!! That site was made by white people, not blacks, so what's the point of this?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:39 pm

merr wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

NO KIDDING!! That site was made by white people, not blacks, so what's the point of this?

The point is to show that it's okay for, say, Michael Moore to publish a book called "Stupid White Men", which he did, but I seriously doubt a book called "Stupid Black Men" would be taken as lightly, or even allowed on the shelves, even if it were written by a black man. Just because racism can come in joke form doesn't mean it's not equally spiteful.

I don't think it's "funny" that I'm white, but perhaps there are some whites who feel that way about themselves; I don't know. Again, as I said recently in the other thread, laughing at one's own skin color seems like a rather brainless chuckle to have, IMO.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:57 pm

digger1 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
"Foshizzle", whatever that means

"for sure".
That is so cool!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 4:28 pm

Honestly, the "PC POLICE OMG FASCIST" theme is laid on rather thick and impedes what could be a very humorous thread. I have no problem with it, but the "Stuff White People Like" thread is a lot funnier, probably because it's going for comedic value, and not trying to be another anti Michael Moore political statement.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

Ragtime wrote:
merr wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

The point is to show that it's okay for, say, Michael Moore to publish a book called "Stupid White Men", which he did, but I seriously doubt a book called "Stupid Black Men" would be taken as lightly, or even allowed on the shelves, even if it were written by a black man. Just because racism can come in joke form doesn't mean it's not equally spiteful.

I don't think it's "funny" that I'm white, but perhaps there are some whites who feel that way about themselves; I don't know. Again, as I said recently in the other thread, laughing at one's own skin color seems like a rather brainless chuckle to have, IMO.
There have been books about blacks written by blacks along the lines of Stupid WHite Men, but again, that website wasnt made by blacks to put whites down. I think you're trying to target someone here and you're misdirecting your anger.

And there's a difference between white people talking about liking shorts or starbucks and then linking something with such as ugly, ugly past (minstrel shows) to black people liking it, especially when there are very few black people here to show you how black people really are.