25 Mar 2008, 2:10 pm

Watermelon
Fried chicken
"Foshizzle", whatever that means
Wearing waistbands below the buttocks in public
Calling each other the N-word
Grape soda
Menthol products

The above list is as accurate to blacks as the list in the "Stuff White People Like" thread is to whites.
Which is to say it's a list of stereotypes, FTL, and hardly representative of the people indicated.

I assume no one has a problem with this fair play and equal treatment?

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:08 pm

Black and milds

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:15 pm

prolly the same stuff as us white guys I'd guess.

'cept mayo.

strange, I get shyte for ragging on A FICTIONAL CHARACTER yet racist shyte like this, people will let pass.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:20 pm

Ragtime wrote:

"for sure".

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:03 pm

digger1 wrote:
prolly the same stuff as us white guys I'd guess.

'cept mayo.

strange, I get shyte for ragging on A FICTIONAL CHARACTER yet racist shyte like this, people will let pass.

Ragtime is just upset because of the stuffwhitepeoplelike site, so he is trying to stir things up.

Yes, Ragsy, it's a horrible site. It insults and oppresses me to suggest I like paying lots of money for bottled water because I am white, or that Apple computers are a white thing (my Pinoy friend has one, but I am too Scottish to plunk out the Benjamins when my 4 year old computer works fine).

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:23 pm

I think people are making too big a deal out of it. It's just joking humor, they did one on white people too.
As long as they don't mean what they say I don't see the big deal. If more people lightened up and were willing to make light-hearted jokes like this, I think it would help people move beyond such issues as race.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:28 pm

I mean who are we if we can't laugh at ourselves and one another objectively? If anything I see it potentially bringing people together more. It might encourage people of all races to work together and to see an objective look at their own races. Be they black, white, brown, yellow, red, arab, islander, or mixed. People might become less sensitive and be more willing to open up to discussing these issues more objectively.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2008, 5:06 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Watermelon
Fried chicken
Wearing waistbands below the buttocks in public
Calling each other the N-word
Grape soda
Menthol products

The above list is as accurate to blacks as the list in the "Stuff White People Like" thread is to whites.
Which is to say it's a list of stereotypes, FTL, and hardly representative of the people indicated.

I assume no one has a problem with this fair play and equal treatment?

Ragtime, you've got me cracking up, dude. I think nobody says "Foshizzle" except that crazy dude who wears the big, gold clock around his neck. You know who I mean.

People, you're killing me! :lol:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

I do wish that there were a site for "what black people liked" though, one for hispanics too, and maybe asians as well, and of course, the irish too! "Stuff Irish people like", I could really see that.

ivetastedflight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2008, 5:26 pm

"Red-Flavored" Kool-Aid.

<.<

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:30 pm

I think that Blacks are more likely than Whites to go to church on Sunday.

Blacks are also more likely than Whites to be imprisoned.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:36 pm

snake321 wrote:
I mean who are we if we can't laugh at ourselves and one another objectively? If anything I see it potentially bringing people together more. It might encourage people of all races to work together and to see an objective look at their own races. Be they black, white, brown, yellow, red, arab, islander, or mixed. People might become less sensitive and be more willing to open up to discussing these issues more objectively.

I agree. Although it can seem hard, the key is not to pretend that stereotyping doesn't exist, but to accept it when it does pop up. If we can laugh at ourselves and each other, then stereotypes won't hurt anymore. If we stigmatize the stereotypes, then people will just become more offended by them.

tybald
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2008, 4:47 am

This is exactly the sort of paranoia that political correctness inflicts on us all. The other thread about what white people like had a few posts about stereotyping but on the whole people saw the funny side. Here there's a serious debate brewing about the evils of racism. Why should any race not be entitled and in some cases required to laugh at itself? Differences occur between the sexes, between generations, between different races and different cultures; it doesn't make one better than the other. Humour often hinges on these differences and providing its not meant to be malicious, I don't see what the problem is.

The whole idea that everyone should be 'colourblind' in our society is wrong. There are differences in appearance and culture and these should be acknowledged. Accepting these and learning to live with them and accommodate each other is the mature way for us to live. Forcing people to deny such obvious things breeds confusion and resentment. Why do the PC and often unelected individuals trying to mould society assume that all minorities are so easily offended and have no sense of humour about themselves? Isn't that an offensive sereotype in itself?

As a result, my contribution to inter-racial humour is:

Bad sitcoms with obviously canned laughter
Yo mama jokes
Large amounts of gold jewellery

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 9:32 am

Oh, hi guise, I didn't know we were doing an Encyclopedia Dramatica article.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 9:50 am

Don't forget: singing, dancing, and minstrel shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyfAh_7ZV0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvyfAh_7ZV0[/youtube]

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 12:31 pm

digger1 wrote: