Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2008, 6:34 pm

Our 9-yr-old still won't/can't blow his nose. He seems slightly frightened by it, and also doesn't seem to be able to get the hang of when to breathe. When he's tried to learn, he's choked and coughed and so is now averse to trying again. He will wipe with a tissue. And sometimes he picks his nose until it bleeds. :( This used to freak him out a bit, the blood and all, but now he just calls for me and I have him lay back with a tissue until it stops.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

Belfast, my NT brother has done that. I never even knew until he was in his 20's when he started dating a girl that did the same thing.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:59 pm

KimJ wrote:
Belfast, my NT brother has done that. I never even knew until he was in his 20's when he started dating a girl that did the same thing.

The picking or the tissue-pressing ? Sorry to be gross, but how else can I explain ?

Tissue-pressing (putting very tip of finger in nostril, while it's covered with the tissue-and edges of tissue stay outside the nose) works very well. Esp. for when I've a hair someplace up in there that's irritating me-I'll find it on the tissue & feel relief at not having to chase it around. Helps with when one gets stuff like dryer lint, dust, (or in my case, smoke) in there coating one's nasal passages. If need be-say my nostrils are dry & ouchy (from a cold & excessive tissue use)-then I moisten (with saliva-what do I care, it's all my own body-or tap water) the tissue before use, then it's more soothing & less irritating (still gets the gunk out).

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:01 pm

the tissue pressing. :eew:

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2008, 5:37 pm

Sometimes it helps to plug one nostril by pushing the side in and blowing, by exhaling forcefully. Breath out really hard.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 6:09 pm

It just struck me(not literally)that this should go on the ...You know your an aspie if....board

"You know your an aspie if you spend time discussing the best techniques of blowing your nose...and your over 6 year old"

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

mom2bax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 11:11 pm

when i posted this i didn't really know if it was an aspie issue or not but i didn't know what else to do, but this was one of the funniest threads and if nothing else comes of it i have gotten a good laugh out of it.
the things that parents discuss :lol:

NayNay2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2008, 10:51 pm

And here I thought I was the only one with a 8 yr old that couldn't blow his nose.

I'll give this method a try tho:

Quote:
Hold one nostril closed with pointer finger,hold tissue under the other nostril.Close your lips tightly and breath in lightly through open nostril then breath out nostril as hard as you can like your blowing up a ballon with it.Switch nostril and repeat. Go wash your hands and face, because chances are you go "it" all over the place.

Binarycow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2008, 1:34 am

I never blew my nose until I went to desert areas (Death Valley, CA, Iraq, etc) for the military...

Now I just do snot rockets... holding one nostril shut, blowing, aiming the excretion at the ground. I'd blow/wipe my nose, but its not always easy to find tissue in Iraq, the concept of a hankerchief is disgusting.

Luckily here in Iraq, dust gets in your nose creating hard boogers, so we dont really have the runny nose thing going on here... If the offending material won't snot rocket out... I pick :oops: