Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GHMum
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2008, 11:11 pm

My son does all sorts of strange voices and accents. He started off with a "normal" voice for when he was talking about special interests or otherwise feeling secure plus a "baby" voice where he would imitate his younger sibling. At one stage this got so good/bad that I couldn't tell which of them was speaking if I wasn't looking at them. Then he started an American accent that we have no idea where he got from (we're Australian, he doesn't know any American people and we don't have TV so it isn't from there). That one's gone now but he has another, a kind of robotic voice usually accompanied by strange face pulling. Don't know where that came from either. He will also imitate any different or interesting voices he might hear.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 11:18 pm

I can do probably 100+ accents and voices. Including different singing voices. Jimi Hendrix is fun to do.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

We moved around a lot. I pick up the voice of the locality that I am in. I always thought it was a survival mechanism, but now that you guys bring it up here, it may be a part of the Asperger's.

I spoke with an English accent for a while while I was little (perfect grammer). I blame that on all the Cubanos down in South Florida. Then we moved and I adapted. Now I find myself doing it with people that I come into daily contact with, but I try to stop. I have had people tell me it is rude, thinking I was making fun of their accent.

I had a woman come up and complement me on my accent the other day, and she asked me where I was from, when I told her florida she didn't beleive me. I thought that was kinda funny.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 4:59 am

I always thought it was weird when people would ask me where I was from when all I was doing was trying to speak clearly. :D Once when I was in McDonald's with my grandson in his non-verbal phrase he was pointing and making noise and motioning with his hands and eyes in such a way it was obvious he was telling me he wanted the eagle in the toy case. So I said slowly and carefully, You want the eagle toy. A fascinated tween came up and said I spoke English very well.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

I can speak with a dozen different accents, and always assumed that it was due to the fact that I watched different television programs.

People never guessed that I was from Montreal. Where ever I am, they guess I'm from somewhere else. I speak very correctly, and enunciate my words. Often people ask if I came over from England as a child...I just tell them my nanny was British...I got tired of being asked.

Didn't realize it was part of the AS trend. Something new everyday, eh?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 5:00 pm

When i was little the speech teacher told my mother that I didn't have a lisp. He said I had a New York accent.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 5:33 pm

I was born in Canada, but I've spoke with a Cockney accent, since I was 2 or 3, which is just as well, because I've always felt more like a Londoner, than a Canadian. There was one summer, when I was 12, that my parents kept telling me, not to talk through my nose, every time that I said something. I didn't get to finish one paragraph, for two thirds of that entire summer, and I've hated my parents for doing that to me, for many years, after. I'm proud of my accent, and every time that somebody suggests Speech Therapy to me, I tell them to go to hell.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 8:04 am

I had an accent when I was... 4/5-10 years.

My family is German, but I sounded Russian/Polish. I didn't know anyone Russian/Polish and do not know where I could have picked that accent up. I remember being told I should speak normal, not roll the 'r' often.

I had no idea how I was speaking any different.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2008, 1:53 pm

My parents were both raised in UT and I picked up their UT accent even though Iw as raised in CA. It's a little bit of a lazy accent, but not as bad of a drawl as southern. When I go visit my dad in Alabama(he moved there about 12 yrs ago) I slip into the Southern accent in about 2 days and it takes me a few weeks to get rid of it after I get home. It's weird.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2008, 10:29 pm

Jennyfoo wrote:
My parents were both raised in UT and I picked up their UT accent even though Iw as raised in CA. It's a little bit of a lazy accent, but not as bad of a drawl as southern. When I go visit my dad in Alabama(he moved there about 12 yrs ago) I slip into the Southern accent in about 2 days and it takes me a few weeks to get rid of it after I get home. It's weird.

lol friggen hilarious... the southern american kind of accent is contagious and it just doesn't let go. I get around people from alabama (which for those of you outside of the states: even though it is north of florida is considered more of a "rural" southern state than florida) and I can't get rid of the drawl for weeks either, it just won't leave.... ya'll come back now, ya heer?

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 10:41 pm

yeah people also think i have a accent also, it's quite odd, i had speech therapy for nearly 10-15 yrs all though school and everytime i talk they think it's a accent, i guess it's better then having a speech problem. lol who knows. it's odd my family is full blown american but people have though my accent was irish, russian and aussie in the past.. i am completely confused now when people ask me about the accent, cause i do have a Cognitive Disorder.

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

Sometimes my son has an English accent, and sometimes he says some words like Americans :D , such as 'glass'. In Australia the 'a' is pronounced 'ar'.

He doesn't have much of an Aussie accent, more of a neutral one I think. The funny thing is though when he practises Italian, (they learn it at school), he sounds more Australian, emphasising all the vowels in a very ocker way :D !

Temma

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2008, 4:00 am

I'm interested to hear that some other aspies pick up accents in this way. If someone I'm talking to has a strong accent, I will pick it up automatically, and have been told off for making fun of their accents when I didn't mean to. Even when I think I'm talking in 'my' accent (I grew up in New Zealand and Australia), NZers ask where me I'm from. I have been surveying where they think I'm from, and it's split between England and Eastern Europe - there is no reason why I should sound like I'm from those places.
My skills were an advantage when I lived in Germany, I could pass as a local (albeit a socially weird one) after 4 months, as I love learning grammar and could imitate the accent perfectly. I'm also good at speaking clearly for people who don't know much English, but I'm a disaster at understanding them if their accent is strong enough to make the words ambiguous.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:30 am

I'm very proud of my Cockney accent, and it's never going away. If there are some people who don't like it, than tough turkeys! :O)

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 9:03 am

When my sons were four-ish they went through about a 6 month Harry Potter phase, and were talking with slightly English accents. It was adorable! But soon faded when their main interest changed.

One of my sons often has a sing-songy, high pitched "baby" voice, but only at times when he's over stimulated or really excited.

I love that you're proud of your Cockney accent, CockneyRebel. I always wished I had a British accent when I was a kid. Very cool! 8)

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2008, 9:27 am

I talk with an accent, and it almost always comes from recent inspiration. I chameleon the accents I hear (the other day I was in the lab head's office, discussing a research paper with him, and struggled to reduce my speaking with his English accent), and I get accents from what I read (it's odd; if I'm reading, say, something Australian, I "read" it in an Australian accent) or watch. I have subtly different accent and inflection every single day.
I don't mind it, but I do worry when I have to do things like work against adopting my supervisor's accent.