Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2008, 9:27 am

I talk with an accent, and it almost always comes from recent inspiration. I chameleon the accents I hear (the other day I was in the lab head's office, discussing a research paper with him, and struggled to reduce my speaking with his English accent), and I get accents from what I read (it's odd; if I'm reading, say, something Australian, I "read" it in an Australian accent) or watch. I have subtly different accent and inflection every single day.
I don't mind it, but I do worry when I have to do things like work against adopting my supervisor's accent.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2008, 2:26 pm

annotated_alice wrote:
One of my sons often has a sing-songy, high pitched "baby" voice, but only at times when he's over stimulated or really excited.

Our son does this, too! He's nine but sounds three. :?

Quote:
I always wished I had a British accent when I was a kid. Very cool! 8)

ME TOO!! ! ;) And I can pick it up easily. I can even (sometimes/often) discern between different types of English accents, too. I'm also the only person I know who can tell the difference between Irish and Scots accents (which I'm sure will make Brits here cringe). Here's one hint: th = t. ;)

When I was about 10 and reading all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, I went through a phase of calling my parents "Ma" and "Pa" and wearing a gingham dress and being extremely helpful around the house. ;)

If they'd had Harry Potter then, I certainly would've adopted an English accent for awhile, at least. ;)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:54 am

Sometimes, when I listened to my voice on tape when I was a kid, I sounded like I had an English accent. (This was before I'd heard of Roger Bannister). I also had a very high, little girlish voice. I am American of German and Italian descent. (Possibly I still had a trace of a German accent.)

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

sinagua wrote:
When I was about 10 and reading all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, I went through a phase of calling my parents "Ma" and "Pa" and wearing a gingham dress and being extremely helpful around the house. ;)

I totally did that too!! :D I also adopted a southern drawl for ages after reading "Strawberry Girl" by Lois Lenski. It drove my parents nuts! :lol:

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2008, 2:06 pm

annotated_alice wrote:
sinagua wrote:

I totally did that too!! :D I also adopted a southern drawl for ages after reading "Strawberry Girl" by Lois Lenski. It drove my parents nuts! :lol:

LOL! Cool! I grew up in Oklahoma, so I didn't have to work too hard to get the southern drawl. In fact, my first name is Laura - so it was extremely easy for me to daydream that I was Laura Ingalls Wilder, growing up wild on the prairie. ;)

Good times. :)