Page 7 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

As far as I know narcissism is not an Aspie trait. But sometimes people get the two things confused because of the 'lack of empathy' thing. Lack of empathy in an Aspie is pretty innocent though it seems to me. Whereas in a narcissist it can combine with other traits narcissists have to be quite malevolent in action.

The characters on "Seinfeld" were often purposely selfish and mean which is (one reason) why I choose narcissism over Aspieness; none really seem like Aspies to me at all really. If you ever watch "Curb" you might see why I think David could be Aspie. The show is supposedly a lot how he is in real life. But it's just my opinion, and it's just a Tv show.

Interesting thread.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:37 pm

Popsicle wrote:
As far as I know narcissism is not an Aspie trait. But sometimes people get the two things confused because of the 'lack of empathy' thing. Lack of empathy in an Aspie is pretty innocent though it seems to me. Whereas in a narcissist it can combine with other traits narcissists have to be quite malevolent in action.

Yeah, I can understand that. I lack empathy but I'm far from malevolent. Just because I don't understand most people and they don't understand me doesn't mean I hate people or wish to do them harm. (Whether they hate me or wish to do me harm is an open question. I hope they don't.)

BattleCreekDavid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 9:15 pm

I don't know about the character Kramer, but I suspect Michael Richards has AS. From listening to interviews about how he was on the set and how everything had to be a certain way. Plus, his infamous blow-up that was what on You Tube shouting racially charged comments at some hecklars at one of his stand-up shows. I wouldn't have shouted racially charged comments, but I would get angry in a similar manner.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 10:02 pm

Me again
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhcqytHejwY[/youtube]

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 4:23 am

Hodor wrote:
Yeah, I thought we'd be more likely to be sit-down comedians by trade, but stage anxiety can be controlled with practice. Apparently a good tip is to imagine that everybody else in the hall is naked, and it's meant to do wonders for controlling anxiety. I've never tried it though.

There have been times that I've thought about doing stand-up. I have a lot of funny stories that I've been through with in my life and have a pension for wording things in humorous ways. I've had some experience on stage via doing solos in choirs, orchestra, and learning to mildly dance (although be it like a fool because I was never coordinated with that stuff... hence delivering a flying cane straight into the audience that one time :lol: oh, and the time in rehearsal when the stage decided I was tasty and tried to eat me.."Nice work if you can get it!" SHOOOM! I feel into a void between the stage and the backdrop...scared the director half to death too since she was playing the piano behind the backdrop)..

I never tried envisioning the audience naked. considering show choir audience pulled in people young and old alike, methinks that might not look so great. So I stick with the train of thought of trying to give one hell of a show, but if I fail, at least do it entertainingly. I do admit, walking out on stage or letting the curtain rise does get the adrenaline running though.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 1:55 pm

Has anyone seen Steven Wright's short film "One Soldier" I feel like I can relate to it way too well.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 2:14 pm

To me Armando Ianucci is clearly aspie. He is so god damn clever and the brains behind so many of the UKs tv comedies. He has definitely shaped british comedy.

he is involved in or the creator of
alan partridge
the thick of it (awesome!)
time trumpett
armando ianucci show
countless other things.

I could not say for certain but he seems like that anyway.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 9:14 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned Zach Galifianakis:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJLwurV5x0[/youtube]

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 10:47 am

i think this is funny.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZMe4ijdmx0[/youtube]

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

i am feeling very tired today because last night i stayed up to watch a show called "station close", and just when it was due to come on the TV lost reception.
i spent ages trying to get a signal and i finally gave up.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

This may have been mentioned, but David Sedaris HAS to be aspie. He's a writer and in his book "Naked" he describes his childhood a little. He talks about how he used to rock and sway back and forth all the time. Listen to songs hundreds of times in a row. Constantly put things in his mouth up until he was in like second grade or something. The way he writes too, is very annalytical and self depricating. He also talks about how he is very uncomfortable in social settings and tells stories about it that are extremely funny. If you're on the spectrum and haven't read any of his books I would suggest you go buy one of them immediately.

blockhead
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2010, 3:42 pm

Hodor wrote:
Brandon-J wrote:
I didn't know aspies could be stand-up comedians. I know for a fact im no where near socially enough to be a comedian. Plus my anxiety would be off the chart if I got on stage in front of everybody.

Yeah, I thought we'd be more likely to be sit-down comedians by trade, but stage anxiety can be controlled with practice. Apparently a good tip is to imagine that everybody else in the hall is naked, and it's meant to do wonders for controlling anxiety. I've never tried it though.
I have thought about that, and it seems like a good idea. I have tried it in conversations, and it has worked

ajlposh

03 Oct 2010, 6:12 pm

George Burns maybe? I think he has ADHD

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Oct 2010, 7:31 am

Though she is not doing stand-up comedy, Marty Murphy makes people laugh by the way she talks about autism in her life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQT-LMCGfq0

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 9:29 am

Comedians with Aspergers

Off hand, do not know of any comedians with Aspergers.

Robin Williams, to me, can display symptoms of ADHD (my view), however, he is a very talented comedian and actor and seems to be able to play a wide variety of roles so is Robin Williams really ADHD - ADD - Attention Deficit(s) - Hyperactivity?...don't feel so myself.

At the same time, Robin Williams has said he has chosen not to direct - be a movie director - since he tends to automatically view characters from too many points-of-view vs a definite, fixed character which many directors tend to work with.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 2:59 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
(le sigh :heart: )
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ab6LWXeNDA[/youtube]

I thought this was funny!

I also really liked the Greek guy; (forgot his name already)- these are the types of humor I enjoy. Thanks for posting these!

Unfortunately, I couldn´t watch a lot of the other videos that were posted, for some reason....they´ve all been removed.

Don´t know really which comedians are Aspie for sure- (though I was under the impression that Dan Akroyd was diagnosed?) However, I do know that I like this type of "off" humor. I don´t like everything I see. Many things that most people find funny, I don´t think are that funny.

With some of these "Aspie-ish" comedians, I guess it´s hard to tell how much of it is really "them", and how much is their act? (For instance, Woody Allen sometimes plays Aspie-ish characters in movies, but my guess is that these characters are an exaggeration). This is why I reserve judgment....