Page 4 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:38 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Hodor wrote:
"I saw a sign that said Watch for Children. I thought that sounded like a fair trade."

:lol:

I've always liked the signs that say "SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING" :wink:

I keep expecting a follow-up sign:
"RADAR CONTROLLED"
or
"OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE FASTER THAN THEY APPEAR"
or
"FAST CHILDREN NEXT BLOCK"

JasonWilkes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

I can't believe Lenny Bruce hasn't been mentioned more. Particularly for his:

Extremely weird use of language, his cadence, etc.
Use of weird "metaphors meaningful only to the speaker"
Very unconventional
Reclusive and awkward (in the CD "George Carlin on Comedy", Carlin mentioned that Lenny Bruce was always very difficult to communicate with, and rarely gave him more than an awkward hello.)

Listen to some of his stuff and see what you think.

Also, possibly Bill Hicks, but I wouldn't claim to be as confident about him as I am about Lenny Bruce. Hicks' video stuff hints at AS-type behavior more so than just his CDs, since a lot of his AS traits are particularly weird/exaggerated facial expressions and hand/body gestures (the other side of the AS weird voice/expressions continuum from the common monotone and flat expression. This other side is the side I fall into).

As others have mentioned, Steven Wright is a good (likely) example.
Although Mitch Hedberg and Steven Wright had similar styles, I think Mitch's traits were probably drug-induced.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:48 am

George Carlin's Napalm and Silly Putty Album is very aspie-like

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:37 pm

Demetri Martin on Wikipedia

Quote:
He is also known for showing his ambidextrous talents in performances.[2] His hobbies include constructing palindromes[3].

Quote:
A palindrome is a word, phrase, number or other sequence of units that has the property of reading the same in either direction (the adjustment of punctuation and spaces between words is generally permitted). Composing literature in palindromes is an example of constrained writing. The word "palindrome" was coined from Greek roots palin (πάλιν; "back") and dromos (δρóμος; "way, direction") by English writer Ben Jonson in the 1600s. The actual Greek phrase to describe the phenomenon is karkinikê epigrafê (καρκινική επιγραφή; crab inscription), or simply karkiniêoi (καρκινιήοι; crabs), alluding to the backward movement of crabs, like an inscription which can be read backwards.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2008, 2:56 pm

JasonWilkes wrote:
I can't believe Lenny Bruce hasn't been mentioned more.

Probably because he was largely an underground precursor to the more recognizable Richard Pryor and George Carlin. I agree, my aspie antennae goes up when I think about him. Today's comedy is saturated with scatalogical, free-association, quasi-biographical humor and it may be argued that Lenny Bruce gave birth to this artform, for better or for worse.

Bill Hicks is quite funny.

How about the Marx brothers? Any of them possibly aspie?

archdude
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2008, 3:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
How about Gerry Sienfield. I love how he can crack the jokes, and still keep a straight face. :lol:

I don't know whether or not _you're_ joking but I think that Jerry Seinfield is a quintessential NT. I know his TV persona is an exaggeration of his real personality but the former is heavily based on the latter. And that persona shows him as being, if anything, overly aware of minor social cues and rituals. He is a social butterfly - albeit a neurotic one. And he is highly status conscious, which of course Aspies can be, but he seems to "know the score" too well, and that, combined with his other traits, says NT to me. As for being able to crack the jokes and still keep a straight face, most professional comedians can do that.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

aguales wrote:
JasonWilkes wrote:
I can't believe Lenny Bruce hasn't been mentioned more.

Probably because he was largely an underground precursor to the more recognizable Richard Pryor and George Carlin. I agree, my aspie antennae goes up when I think about him. Today's comedy is saturated with scatalogical, free-association, quasi-biographical humor and it may be argued that Lenny Bruce gave birth to this artform, for better or for worse.

Bill Hicks is quite funny.

How about the Marx brothers? Any of them possibly aspie?

dunno They were definately Jewie

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

Mitch Hedburg on Wikipedia

Quote:
Hedberg was set apart from his stand-up comedy peers by many traits, including his unique manner of speech, his abrupt delivery, and an unusual stage presence. His jokes focused largely on wordplay, non-sequiturs, whimsy, and object observations. His act usually consisted equally of compact one- or two-liners similar to the style of Steven Wright in addition to longer routines, often with each line as a punchline. Many of his jokes stemmed from his everyday thoughts or situations.

As a result of his stage fright, Hedberg often performed wearing sunglasses, with his head down, with his hair in his face or with his eyes closed in order to avoid eye contact with the audience. He would often stand upstage during performances or perform with his back to the audience.[10]

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:41 pm

Mitch also laughed at his own jokes sometimes. Don't remember if that was during the actual act though or if it was just in the uncut DVDs.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Apr 2008, 4:59 pm

Marty you were very funny in your clip. Do you have a myspace page or website with more stuff on it?

Never mind. I went to your profile and found it. I added you.

JasonWilkes

30 Apr 2008, 11:41 pm

This quote:

"As a result of his stage fright, Hedberg often performed wearing sunglasses, with his head down, with his hair in his face or with his eyes closed in order to avoid eye contact with the audience. He would often stand upstage during performances or perform with his back to the audience.[10]"

makes a pretty good case for Mitch Hedberg possibly having AS. I'll have to re-listen to his albums in light of that. I know that in one of his specials, he sat on several stairs at the back of the stage, with glasses on and usually with his head down (as was mentioned above) rather than standing up towards the audience where most comedians perform.

I have what could probably be described as an Aspergers-induced obsession with stand-up comedy. I love it whether or not it's funny, and I listen over and over to obscure stand-ups from decades ago, almost unknown to people of my relatively young generation (Mort Sahl anyone?). A lot of people didn't enjoy the late Lenny Bruce stuff after all of his arrests when his routines became mostly political and he talked endlessly about law, politics, and his arrests (frequently without many jokes interspersed -- doing things like reading his court transcript), but I absolutely love it. I'll listen for hours to Lenny Bruce not being funny and enjoy every minute -- it's a substitution for music. I'm not sure why I enjoy it so much. Maybe just hearing another human talking is somehow subconsciously comforting since I rarely hang-out with others.

DevonB
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2008, 11:29 am

I can public speak and present in front of people. I'm very comfortable doing it too....but interacting with people directly? hah!

I was wondering if anyone else was like that.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 5:32 pm

DevonB wrote:
I can public speak and present in front of people. I'm very comfortable doing it too....but interacting with people directly? hah!

I was wondering if anyone else was like that.

Yeah. The only thing that holds me back from speaking in front of a large group of people is my mild stutter. Stating the obvious, we probably find talking to groups of people easier because we don't have to do the whole one-to-one conversation malarky. If you've planned beforehand what you're saying, you don't need to think of new things to talk about, so public speaking is a gift.

Edit: Man, I totally killed the humour in this thread.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:54 pm

Liverbird wrote:
Marty you were very funny in your clip. Do you have a myspace page or website with more stuff on it?

Never mind. I went to your profile and found it. I added you.

MYSPACE.COM/MARTYCOMEDIAN
if anyone else wants to add me.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 3:24 am

JasonWilkes wrote:
This quote:

"As a result of his stage fright, Hedberg often performed wearing sunglasses, with his head down, with his hair in his face or with his eyes closed in order to avoid eye contact with the audience. He would often stand upstage during performances or perform with his back to the audience.[10]"

makes a pretty good case for Mitch Hedberg possibly having AS. I'll have to re-listen to his albums in light of that. I know that in one of his specials, he sat on several stairs at the back of the stage, with glasses on and usually with his head down (as was mentioned above) rather than standing up towards the audience where most comedians perform.

Mitch and a Heckler
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=q1LKVPSpIDA[/youtube]

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:41 am

"I'm sick of followin' my dreams man. I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and hook up with 'em later."
-Mitch Hedberg