Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

as you might have read in another of my threads, I have a cold but this cough is kicking my ass. It'll let up about 15 minutes in an hour but then come back and I can't seem to stop for any more than 2-5 minutes at a time.

DayQuil, NyQuil, honey, menthol vapor and lozenges isn't touching it. I've even been taking my inhaler. Nothing.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2008, 11:30 pm

Cough syrup? Maybe something strong, with Kodine?

If it doesn't go away, you might want to see a doctor, and maybe get tested for whooping cough.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

no wonder the vaporizer wasn't working, I didn't add salt to the water!

I have an appt. tomorrow with the doc. Hopefully he can give me something kickass for the cough. The rest I don't give a crap about - the stuffiness, watering eyes, sneezing. I just want to be rid of the cough.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Apr 2008, 8:49 pm

You might be doing this already....but if you didn't know, then try and sleep sitting up.

People complain that they cough more when they lay down. This is because mucus runs down the back of your throat and further aggravates the cough.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:19 pm

codeine, yummy codeine

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:34 pm

On remedy we use is molassas. A big spoon full of this stuff will coat your throat and sooth the pain.

To get rid of the cold entirely, try drinking ginsingor green tea..... lots of it. Keep sipping it throughout the day even when you are not thirsty. The herbs in these teas are natural cold fighters and the liquid will flush the germs out of your system, if you go pee a lot, then that is a good sign,

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:41 pm

Ok.

Manuka honey (it's a New Zealand honey you can get more or less anywhere these days) is brilliant for coughs. It's a potent antibacterial and used as medicine in a lot of places now. Tastes really yummy too!!

Take a teaspoon of it and let it slowly run down your throat, if you can. Then take a teaspoon of that, in hot water, with lemon juice and a pinch of ground ginger. Leave the ginger out if you really have to, but it's really good to include. You could do the same with garlic too!!

If you're losing your voice from it or it's feeling raw, then apple cider vinegar is your friend. Take just a mouthful if you can stand it raw, or a teaspoon in water, and you'll have your voice back and it'll be soothed. It's great for soothing coughs. You can also add a teaspoon of cider vinegar to the manuka honey, lemon and ginger drink too if you're brave!!

As Chibi Neko said, ginseng is great, green tea is great... or normal tea if you can't stand herbal stuff (though limit the sugar, as bugs thrive on sugar).

Avoid cough medicines as the vast majority don't work!! And avoid sugar, processed foods, and anything too sweet. Drink lots and lots of water.