My family doesn't seem to believe that I have aspergers

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:16 am

Greentea wrote:
A - Some people can be educated. If they want to be educated.

B - Others live in denial of your condition, because they've chosen denial over dealing with it.

C - And others will not care what you have. They reject you for being different regardless of whether you're just too selfish to snap out of it or you have a condition that's causing the differences. They're not in denial, they just don't like you.

Trying to get someone to move from one of these categories to another is practically impossible and a waste of your energies. Better concentrate on advancing your life. It'll take up half the time and energy and make a meaningful improvement in your life, while these people never will.

This is my experience at 46, and I wish someone had told me in my teens.

QFT

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:54 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Greentea wrote:

B - Others live in denial of your condition, because they've chosen denial over dealing with it.

C - And others will not care what you have. They reject you for being different regardless of whether you're just too selfish to snap out of it or you have a condition that's causing the differences. They're not in denial, they just don't like you.

Trying to get someone to move from one of these categories to another is practically impossible and a waste of your energies. Better concentrate on advancing your life. It'll take up half the time and energy and make a meaningful improvement in your life, while these people never will.

QFT

What does QFT stand for?

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:55 am

?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:17 am

We may have to wait for the reply Patrick, people are in different time zones across the world.

I am also interested in what it means :D

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:33 am

Kaleido wrote:
We may have to wait for the reply Patrick, people are in different time zones across the world.

I am also interested in what it means :D

lol. I thought maybe it was some common aspergers slang.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:42 am

pat666rick wrote:
The last doctor I saw, after telling him about all of my syptoms, told me that I have social phobia... I felt like punching him in the fuc*ing face! :evil:
He could be right, or maybe he can't see the Asperger's for the co-morbid conditions...

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:06 am

yesplease wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
The last doctor I saw, after telling him about all of my syptoms, told me that I have social phobia... I felt like punching him in the fuc*ing face! :evil:
He could be right, or maybe he can't see the Asperger's for the co-morbid conditions...

No, he ain't right. He was a dummy.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 7:11 am

pat666rick wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Greentea wrote:

QFT

What does QFT stand for?

QFT= Quote for Truth, or Quoted for Truth
QFE= Quote for Empasis, or Quoted for Emphasis

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2008, 8:32 am

Greentea wrote:

This post is deserving of an award: A short A-B-C shirt pocket guide to effectively dealing with other's responses to Aspies!

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:56 am

tailfins1959 wrote:
Greentea wrote:

This post is deserving of an award: A short A-B-C shirt pocket guide to effectively dealing with other's responses to Aspies!

Indeed. Its very true.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 11:49 am

pat666rick wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Greentea wrote:

QFT

What does QFT stand for?

Sorry, I posted just before bed and now I am ready for work the next day and saw your post.
It DOES mean Quoted for Truth and I am so grateful that it bumped up Greentea's most excellent reponse to so many repetitions. This information is indeed something to print out and put on your bathroom mirror so you can see it every morning! Just remember the only person you can change in this world is yourself.

Merle

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 1:12 pm

Greentea wrote:

Very astute observation. Great post!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Apr 2008, 1:58 pm

i dont even care about my family anymore. im not going to any of thier funerals or births ta ta suckers :P

dominica here i come!... in a year :jester:

Last edited by richardbenson on 09 Apr 2008, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

Thank you, everyone! You made my day :)

Fred54
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

My parents and siblings do not know it. I suspect my mother has AS as well, but at 60s I don't want to start to explain to her and my father all about AS.
I asked my sister if she knew AS and she told me "no", I'll have to send her a couple of links...

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 4:49 pm

It's hurtful. My family think i'm overexaggerating too. The problem is that they know you very well. They most likely watched you grow up. They were able to gradually adjust to your nuances and as such they aren't able to separate them from normal behavior. When I meet new people they immediately can tell there is something not quite right about me, but my family just think it's me being me.

just so you understand they're not doing it to hurt you. It's not their fault they're NT, some people were just born unlucky.