Page 4 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

WanderingDeer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

I used to walk on my tip toes all the time when I was younger, but these days I just sort of throw my feet about when I walk and see where they land. I don't walk very elegantly and can't wear heels. I stand pigeon-toed but I'm not sure if I walk pigeon-toed or not.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 8:36 am

It's pretty common.

I did it-- it was trained out of me (at least where people could see) along with rocking and spinning and hand-flapping. Grandma said, "Don't do that. ret*d kids do that. Do you want people to think you're ret*d?"

I was actually still a kid-- about 10 or so, around 1988-- the first time I wondered if I might not be autistic, because I'd read a story about an autistic child in Reader's Digest and identified with the desire to perform some of those behaviors. I was, of course, relieved to learn that I couldn't possibly be, because autistic kids didn't talk in 1988. 8O :roll: :?

Gee-- Guess I should have been hanging out with Lorna Wing even back then. Right time, wrong place. *SARCASM ALERT*

My 4-year-old son does it. My 2-year-old daughter does too, though to a much lesser extent (and she also actively seeks out other kids to play with).

So far I've looked the other way. I think it's cute, watching him bouncing around on his toes, flapping his hands, repeating himself and grinning. It doesn't last long. It mostly happens when he's overcome with joy, and I've just reveled in seeing the kid so happy.

I think I've done the wrong thing. Those years are short and fleeting-- and others' reactions to those behaviors are going to turn joy into a source of great pain. Awareness of HFA has risen; unfortunately, tolerance and acceptance have not kept pace.

Mommy's sorry, Buddy. This HURTS. This hurts so much that, sometimes, I lay beside you in bed at night and hold you or stroke your hair and cry myself to sleep. But-- Don't do that. ret*d kids do that. Do you want people to think you're ret*d???

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 9:34 am

CleverKitten wrote:
I often find that whenever I'm barefooted, I almost always walk on my tiptoes. And I feel very uncomfortable keeping my feet flat on the ground.
Do other AS people have this habit?

I walk on my tiptoes when i am not wearing shoes, i'm not sure why i don't when i am wearing them.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

EmmaUK12 wrote:
I walk on my tiptoes when i am not wearing shoes, i'm not sure why i don't when i am wearing them.

It's just not possible to toe-walk in most shoes, because many shoes have a base that lifts both your heel and the soles of your feet up off of the ground. In any shoe that has a base of some sort, I can't toe-walk since all parts of my foot are level and elevated. But in shoes that are flat on the ground and have no support (like the special tennis shoes I wear for sensory issues that have no arch) or when barefoot, you don't have anything elevating all parts of your foot, so it's possible to control it yourself and just lift the heel and toe-walk.

Question for others- does anyone else run on their toes or walk backwards on their toes (while barefoot or in good toe-walking shoes)? How about being in toe-walk position while sitting down? I do all of these, and I never noticed until my best friend asked me toe-walking details in fascination once. :lol: And does anyone else find it physically impossible and awkward NOT to toe-walk while barefoot. I've tried to walk flat-footed while barefoot, and it's like walking in molasses.

And yes, I could easily walk in high heels the first time I tried. If I ever stumble in high heels, it's from my lack of coordination in general, not from the shoe. :D

Nash: Is there a difference?

chrisno51
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2012, 4:08 am

Yes, actually I have walked on tiptoes like that since I was learning to walk. My parent's always tried to break me of it. I still do it often enough without realizing it and I'm now age 25. I guess it's more common than I though for autistic people.

SecretAgent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 5:21 am

I do that too, I guess I always have. I hardly even notice I'm doing it. Idk why but it just feels more natural somehow. O.o Possibly because I have high arches or... well idk how to explain this, but it's like... more... elegant? There's not really a proper word for it that I can think of. But anyways I do other similar things like that, like randomly putting my fingers into "elegant" poses or doing "ballerina-ish" things with my arms. Nooo idea why LOL.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:59 am

One of my sons does that. I didn't know it's an autistic thing. I used to think it's his attempt to stand a little taller, because his friends are a bit taller than him. :) I'm just worried if that could deform his feet. Last I checked his feet are very broad in the front and have narrow little heels. His toes are also spread out. He's very comfortable walking around barefoot.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 7:11 am

I walk on the balls of my feet almost exclusively while barefoot. If I stop and think about it I can force myself to walk heel-toe, but it is mightily uncomfortable and foreign.

All my tennis shoes wear out right under the balls of my feet while the heels are nearly pristine. Even my boots, I have padded them on the inside with 3x heel inserts and one full insert over top so that I am more comfortable wearing them...and I still end up frequently still on the balls of my feet, especially if I'm standing still.

I also go off my heels for pretty much any unusual physical activity, carrying something, moving side to side or backwards, running, etc.

The whole concept of walking on the full foot is weird. I don't get it. If I were female I'd likely wear high heels exclusively.

JayJayEff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2012, 7:25 am

Yes!! I absolutely walk on tip toes and always have. It feels completely unnatural to me to walk full footed. I'm a female, so now I wear high heels almost all the time to give me the sensation of walking on my toes without being conspicuous.

I have an awful sense of balance!! ! I have a hard time with yoga, tap dancing and riding a bike, but I keep on trying :-) On a bike, I cannot turn my head to either side or take my hand or hands off the handles or I'm on the ground. Anyone else??

JayJayEff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2012, 7:41 am

Sorry, also forgot to say I am a \/ walker too, weight on outer side of feet. (Turned out, duck walk, whatever you want to call it.)

I think this is because of how many nerve endings we have on our feet, that putting weight on full foot creates too much contact and stim. My friend does reflexology and when she touches the soles of my feet (not the balls or sides) I can feel intense reaction in the rest of my body.

Just a theory!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:58 am

I just checked my toe-walker's shoes out of curiosity. My goodness all treads are worn off. The bottom is totally flat with some scratches. 8O And he just got this pair of shoes at Xmas and only use them to walk to school and back everyday. Toe-walking must be hard on shoes.

qwan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

skeeterhawk wrote:
Sora said:

Quote:
I walk on the outer brink of my feet when I'm barefoot. I suppose that it's also some kind of autistic thing? Though rare obviously.

Maybe it's rare. I don't know. But it is definitely something I do, especially if the surface is not a source of stimming for me (a smooth, clean wood floor feels really great flat-footed).

I walk on the outer edges of my feet when I'm relaxed or drunk. Don't know if that counts. But I will do it with or without shoes.
It feels very comfortable and I do it without noticing for ages. I wouldn't say I do it often, but I don't pay enough attention to know how often I really do it.

I don't tip toe much, but did do ballet and wanted to be a ballerina as a kid so practised it a lot and sometimes still do it randomly. It's hardly any kind of habit though.
I walk or stand on my actual toes, like a ballet dancer though; not on the balls of my feet; that isn't comfortable because I have very flat feet and they don't respond well to that kind of stretching.

qwan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

BrookeBC wrote:
My daughter and I are both toe walkers.

I can walk flat footed and for the most part I have since elementary school, it's more of a shuffle really, people comment that I have an odd gait. But I still toe walk when I'm barefoot outside, running, excited, have to go to the bathroom, going up stairs. The arches of my feet are very sensitive.

My 4 yr old autie is on her toes 75% of the time I'd guess. She will sometimes walk flat footed when she has shoes on, other than that she's always on her toes.

It can make you faster to run on your toes.

qwan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:
I walk on the balls of my feet almost exclusively while barefoot. If I stop and think about it I can force myself to walk heel-toe, but it is mightily uncomfortable and foreign.

All my tennis shoes wear out right under the balls of my feet while the heels are nearly pristine. Even my boots, I have padded them on the inside with 3x heel inserts and one full insert over top so that I am more comfortable wearing them...and I still end up frequently still on the balls of my feet, especially if I'm standing still.

I also go off my heels for pretty much any unusual physical activity, carrying something, moving side to side or backwards, running, etc.

The whole concept of walking on the full foot is weird. I don't get it. If I were female I'd likely wear high heels exclusively.

Last post, I'm not spamming! (Just read through it slowly). I thought it was normal for only the balls of the shoe to be worn out.
I can't tell though as I'm flat footed, and I think something like bow legged? Well, my legs are straight but because of my knees and toes not being fully aligned I walk more naturally like a duck XD
I actually noticed sometimes I want to walk Toe-heel, instead of heel-toe, but I thought that was just me being absent minded. It sometimes strikes me I've been walking wrong and it feels uncomfortable to walk normally for days, but I don't know. I don't think it happens a huge amount with me. I walk odd anyway. *shrugs*

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

I have done this since I was a child and I still do it whenever I'm not wearing shoes. It makes me feel lighter and taller, although I didn't start doing it to feel taller or lighter. I honestly have no idea why I do it.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:41 am

Wow, the barefoot thing seems like a pretty strong consensus. I definitely notice doing it barefoot or in socks. I'm not sure about when I'm wearing shoes. I haven't noticed so I guess not. This might sound weird but does anyone else feel like they might be doing it to be quiet and not cause a ruckus with heavy footfalls? It amazes me how heavy and noisy my house mates are when they walk past my room or slamming the front door downstairs when they come and go. Maybe I'm just stealthy-like. 8)