Metal gear solid 3 Snake eater 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Metal gear solid 3 subsistence 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 3:26 pm

french_immersion wrote:
yay MGS 1 was by far the best. Cant beat the gritty look and cutscenes in that game. Meryl getting shot by Sniper Wolf is a moment you dont forget. The recent Metal Gear Solid games have been much worse in terms of plot, and they seem to have got ridiculously OTT. Like The Fear in MGS3 who isnt even human. and Vamp in MGS2.

i don't care if they were too fantastical, i rate the boss battles in MGS3 amongst the best in the series. each one was a challenge when i first played them (hell some of them still are), they were dense as hell and there were tons of them! right there it addressed one of my biggest criticisms of MGS2.

for god's sake, you fight a guy who SHOOTS BEES AT YOU!

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:41 pm

I've only played MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2 twin snakes, and MGS2 snake eater... So I chose snake eater, it was a very good game, I like that you had to camoflauge, hunt your meals, survive in the wilderness.
Twin Snakes was ret*d. The entire thing with Liquid's spirit possessing Ocelot's hand, and other cheesey 2nd grade crap they threw in there, it killed all credibility. I ended up using that disk as a frisbee for my dog.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:10 pm

snake321 wrote:
I've only played MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2 twin snakes, and MGS2 snake eater... So I chose snake eater, it was a very good game, I like that you had to camoflauge, hunt your meals, survive in the wilderness.
Twin Snakes was ret*d. The entire thing with Liquid's spirit possessing Ocelot's hand, and other cheesey 2nd grade crap they threw in there, it killed all credibility. I ended up using that disk as a frisbee for my dog.

Uh, Sons of Liberty was the one you're thinking of, not Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes is the name of the MGS1 remake.

On sabbatical...

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 12:10 am

Quatermass wrote:
snake321 wrote:

Uh, Sons of Liberty was the one you're thinking of, not Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes is the name of the MGS1 remake.

Yeah, my bad.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:07 am

Quatermass wrote:
Wolfpup wrote:
I HATE Metal Gear Solid 3. To me the gameplay is completely broken. Ditto for Portable Opps. I'm expecting nothing from MGS4 as a result, but I guess I'll own it because it comes "free" with the new 80GB PS3 bundle.

How is it 'completely broken'? Is it because the lack of radar makes it harder on you? :roll:

The radar is there because of the limitations of the way the game plays, the way the camera works, etc. Removing it without actually making the game play like a (somewhat more) modern stealth game is just broken. It also made the series contrivances feel more cheesy-stuff like guards resetting when you leave and reenter an area, guards running out of nowhere if you trigger an alarm, etc. In every respect that I saw the game was a huge step back even from...well even from the mid-80's original, let alone the 1997 MGS, and it didn't remotely compare to "modern" stealth games (and by modern actually I mean plenty of games that are 10 years old at this point, let alone things released this year).

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:27 pm

Maxrebo wrote:
My only problem with twin snakes was It wasn't the same mei ling and the new person butchered it she was just awful.

Even if it was the same voice actress, which it was, Konami removed her Chinese accent! Argh! What's the matter, Konami? Was it too politically incorrect?! Geez! That accent was what made her cute in the first place!

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

That's just one example of how pointless that project was. There was NOTHING wrong with the original voicework or translation, and they actually made it worse. Ditto for the direction, etc.

And it was such a huge waste for a developer capable of doing Eternal Darkness. They should be working on their own stuff, not doing a half baked remake of something that was only a few years old to begin with.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2008, 1:38 pm

exactly its the asian acent that maid her cute becasuse ridickeris just funny.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

Usagi1992 wrote:
Maxrebo wrote:
My only problem with twin snakes was It wasn't the same mei ling and the new person butchered it she was just awful.

Even if it was the same voice actress, which it was, Konami removed her Chinese accent! Argh! What's the matter, Konami? Was it too politically incorrect?! Geez! That accent was what made her cute in the first place!

I think they removed it because she was raised for a long time in the US. She was born in China, but raised in the US.

On sabbatical...