Metal gear solid 2 substance 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Metal gear solid 3 Snake eater 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Metal gear solid 3 subsistence 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2008, 3:02 pm

Whaat do you guys think of the series? I personally love them but I just want to now what other aspies gamers think.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

have wanted to play the first one for a long time [it was on the NES wasnt it],if its on xbox live will defintiely be downloading it once get it cabled up.

am probably prefer MGS1 for both the game and the soundtrack [and the fact it came with the shiny silver MGS memory card from release day],but a problem am had with it was the textures all being very similar,if are someone with a visual processing problem,it's really hard to make out what is what.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

MGS3 Subsistence.

On sabbatical...

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:09 am

My vote is for Metal Gear Solid (PS1).

smaug
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2008, 1:37 am

I played MGS3: Subsistence for the first time a few months back and it was an amazing experience; very tightly scripted and well-made. Beats MGS2 easily, and in comparison to the original, there's enough changes or improvements to warrant my vote for it.

Mike777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2008, 2:08 am

My vote goes for first MGS.

Starscream
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 3:42 am

1st Metal Gear Solid has my vote

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:01 am

The third one is the best in the series, so far. My experience of it is from the updated Subsistence version of it. I don't think I'd like it as much if I had played the Snake Eater version, as the over the shoulder camera adds so much to the game.

I really didn't like the second one very much at all.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:01 am

If I had to choose any of the versions of the original MGS, I would choose The Twin Snakes, as the FP shooting and hanging areas change the game, making it easier in some sequences and harder in others (particularly the M1 Tank fight and the Rappel sequence down the Communications Tower).

The voice acting's better too, especially where Naomi Hunter, Meryl, Ocelot, Nastasha and Gray Fox's voices are concerned. Though I think Cam Clarke (Liquid Snake) and Paul Eiding (Colonel Campbell) missed the marks occasionally. A case in point is where Liquid says 'Love??? It's hate!' in response to Solid Snake's supposition that Liquid's reason for rebelling was a twisted love for Big Boss. Liquid's character model clearly shouts, but Cam Clarke doesn't shout it.

And while some of the action sequences are OTT (especially those involving the Hind D, missiles and the Stinger), the fights between Snake and Gray Fox, not to mention Gray Fox's final fight against Metal Gear Rex are very well done.

On sabbatical...

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm

My only problem with twin snakes was It wasn't the same mei ling and the new person butchered it she was just awful.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 9:51 pm

Maxrebo wrote:
My only problem with twin snakes was It wasn't the same mei ling and the new person butchered it she was just awful.

Hate to break it to you, but it was the same actress, Kim Mai Guest. All the original MGS voice actors returned for The Twin Snakes. They just used pseudonyms for the original because of some unions issue. In fact, the only character recast was Gray Fox, who was voiced by Greg Eagles, the guy who did the DARPA Chief in the original. Rob Paulsen did the voice in the remake.

On sabbatical...

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:24 am

MGS1 is an undeniable classic, but i'm gonna have to go with MGS3 Subsistence. it's just a better package. improved version of MGS3, online play, and the original Metal Gears 1 & 2.

MGS2...disappointing. i can beat it in a day and the story and gameplay is just REALLY unsatisfying. part of the reason i'm glad MGS3 went above and beyond with the boss battles. i mean sheesh, you fight a guy who shoots bees at you! enough sad!

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:53 am

I HATE Metal Gear Solid 3. To me the gameplay is completely broken. Ditto for Portable Opps. I'm expecting nothing from MGS4 as a result, but I guess I'll own it because it comes "free" with the new 80GB PS3 bundle.

MGS2's story was weak, and overall the location was weak compared to the first game, but it was still a strong release. IMO MGS1 is the best in the series artistically and in terms of gameplay. Kujima seems to be throwing out a lot of "oh look, it's just a game!" because he's scared to have his games judged on their real artistic merits-at least that's my take on it.

I thought the Gamecube remake was artistically inferior to the original. I set them up side by side when I rented it, and was shocked by how much more artful the original's presentation is. I don't think a bump in resolution and texture filtering begins to make up for that.

french_immersion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

yay MGS 1 was by far the best. Cant beat the gritty look and cutscenes in that game. Meryl getting shot by Sniper Wolf is a moment you dont forget. The recent Metal Gear Solid games have been much worse in terms of plot, and they seem to have got ridiculously OTT. Like The Fear in MGS3 who isnt even human. and Vamp in MGS2.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:00 pm

I really do wonder if Kujima is going with these ridiculous plots because he's scared to have his games judged as legitimate works of art. It just strikes me as weird...like one guy's insecurity is shaping the major releases of a major publisher.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:15 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
I HATE Metal Gear Solid 3. To me the gameplay is completely broken. Ditto for Portable Opps. I'm expecting nothing from MGS4 as a result, but I guess I'll own it because it comes "free" with the new 80GB PS3 bundle.

How is it 'completely broken'? Is it because the lack of radar makes it harder on you? :roll:

Wolfpup wrote:
MGS2's story was weak, and overall the location was weak compared to the first game, but it was still a strong release.

My problem was all that postmodern crap at the end, and the Patriot's badgering of Raiden. Otherwise, a decent, if preachy, storyline.

Wolfpup wrote:
IMO MGS1 is the best in the series artistically and in terms of gameplay. Kujima seems to be throwing out a lot of "oh look, it's just a game!" because he's scared to have his games judged on their real artistic merits-at least that's my take on it.

I thought the Gamecube remake was artistically inferior to the original. I set them up side by side when I rented it, and was shocked by how much more artful the original's presentation is. I don't think a bump in resolution and texture filtering begins to make up for that.

I still think the Gamecube version is better in many respects, the voice-overs being probably the most important, with gameplay next. The graphics were a welcome upgrade, although I agree that the presentation in the cinemas can be OTT at times.

french_immersion wrote:
yay MGS 1 was by far the best. Cant beat the gritty look and cutscenes in that game. Meryl getting shot by Sniper Wolf is a moment you dont forget. The recent Metal Gear Solid games have been much worse in terms of plot, and they seem to have got ridiculously OTT. Like The Fear in MGS3 who isnt even human. and Vamp in MGS2.

The Fear is pretty out there, but it was said that he split his tongue through surgery, so it's really only the stealth and the eyes that need to be explained. The Fury worries me more (those freaky flaming heads) in terms of supernatural abilities.

In terms of unforgettable moments in the original MGS, Meryl's questioning of Snake just after he defeated Psycho Mantis, the death of Sniper Wolf, Gray Fox's speech just before being crushed by Metal Gear Rex (I thought Greg Eagles was decent, if a bit too Shakespearean, in that sequence, and Rob Paulsen was more naturalistic, but more boring, in the remake), and key sequences in both endings. In the Otacon ending, Snake's self-loathing when he discovers Meryl is dead, and in the Meryl ending, when he says to Meryl that he will live life for others. And the 'My name...is David'.

On sabbatical...