Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 6:27 am

Terrible experiences make one wonder whether he who experiences them is not something terrible.

Beyond good and Evil: 89

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 6:34 am

My only problem with sarcasm is that people who use it tend to believe they are intelligent, when in fact they are fairly dense. On the rare occasions that sarcasm is actually justified, I don't really mind it.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2008, 8:51 pm

it can be a crutch, for sure, for thinking through real responses and converstion, and an emotional block or cop out in human interaction. You're right Daewoodrow, it can be lazy

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

I find that people who use excessive sarcasm are quite often very Manipulative. I think its fair to say that frequent sarcasm and dishonesty go hand in hand :lol: .

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

In all seriousness D1nk0, i agree. Sarcasm can be so manipulative because it puts the negativity or bad statement out there, but rids the person of all accountability.

Last edited by nory on 29 Apr 2008, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

What I said b4 about it being manipulative was just referring to negative sarcasm. I think friendly sarcasm - when it does not say anything negative or insulting to the person or thing in question, or if its self depreciating, is funny. :)

Like back to what Simon said, 'That was like every color in the universe' = funny sarcasm. He's making himself sound like a flake but it its sarcastic, its making fun of Paula too but not in an insulting way -

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

I like sarcasm, though sometimes I find it terribly hard to know when someone is being sarcastic. Still, it's much better than swearing at someone every time they disagree with you (not looking at anyone in particular :roll: )

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 10:00 pm

Shelby wrote:
I like sarcasm, though sometimes I find it terribly hard to know when someone is being sarcastic. Still, it's much better than swearing at someone every time they disagree with you (not looking at anyone in particular :roll: )

Yikes! :( I hope your not talking about me. I only did that as a joke to show how awful some kinds of mean sarcasm was...

It does look terrible in print. maybe i should delete it...