Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 5:54 pm

Why? In a nutshell, its very disingenuous and insincere. Those are traits that I find EXTREMELY offputting because they're both indirect AND dishonest. I like people who say what they mean and mean what they say most of the time and are only sarcastic when annoyed. Whenever Im being honest and serious and I get a sarcastic reply I find it very insulting because it implies Im not being taken seriously or the other person is trying to put me down. I dont buy it when people say that sarcasm is part of their personality. I often find that highly sarcastic people are either very insecure or they're the kind of people who dont take anything seriously; I particular disdain the latter since Im a pretty serious guy most of the time. I think for young adults, sarcasm is a social game and the reason why some aspies ethusiastically adopt it and use it incessantly is because its the Only social game that they actually know how to play and can get good at.

GoddessofSin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2008, 5:58 pm

I'm sarcastic 99% of the time because I find most people to be morons and they annoy the ever loving piss out me. I assure you that I am very secure with myself but no I do not take stupidity seriously. As I always say, I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:00 pm

GoddessofSin wrote:
I'm sarcastic 99% of the time because I find most people to be morons and they annoy the ever loving piss out me. I assure you that I am very secure with myself but no I do not take stupidity seriously. As I always say, I'll try being nicer when you try being smarter.

Har-har :P
You know what? Believe it or not you have just proven my point :D: You use sarcasm to be condescending to those who see as below you and to assert your intelligence.

GoddessofSin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2008, 6:05 pm

On the contrary. When I want to assert my intelligence I will have a very intellectual conversation. Sometimes this is fun to do to stupid people and watch the wide eye deer caught in headlights look while the hamsters have heart attacks running on their wheels trying to figure out what I just said. Sarcasm is a quick and easy blow off.

But thank you very much for pigeon holing me based on one post. You must be a high paid psychatrist. 5 mins and you have it all figured out. :lmao:

Last edited by GoddessofSin on 15 Apr 2008, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

15 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

I do sarcasm to the "you don't have AS" people. I have done it plenty of timers on this forum. I do sarcasm for other reasons too like when something doesn't make any sense I might say "I didn't know that was okay" and I also do it to be funny. I like to joke too like I say "Portland has AS" because I see signs saying right lane must turn except bus. My boyfriend likes my sense of humor.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:10 pm

I used to have a manager who's only form of humour was sarcasm.Most of his staff seemed to
think he was a lovable old grump and would laugh at his every comment.They were probably
only doing so to protect their jobs.I was only a temporary worker there and due to my objectivity I saw right through him.He just wasn't a very likeable person and took advantage of his position to make a fool of people. The last I heard he'd been transferred to a different
department,no doubt to keep him away from those he might upset.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:17 pm

Sometimes I can't figure out how to make a point without sarcasm.

Such as, for instance, How to become an autism expert. I wrote it that way because I couldn't explain what was wrong with it any other way.

Last edited by anbuend on 15 Apr 2008, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2008, 6:18 pm

I like sarcasm and use it quite often. It IS a part of my personality but i can't tell if it is because it is the only social thing that i can do or not. I am very rarely condescending, only when someone is being very closed minded or racist will i say anything that implies i look down on them. I very rarely take situations seriously but i do take people seriously, at least their feelings. I really don't see why you would consider being laid back and calm as a personality flaw....
Also remember that sarcasm is meant to be understood so it is not dishonest.

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2008, 6:19 pm

J'adore le sarcasme! (Anyone who speaks french don't correct my grammar/spelling/vocab. I could look up the correct way to say sarcasm, but I am too lazy.)

MJD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2008, 6:24 pm

Viola wrote:
J'adore le sarcasme!

Celui francais c'est parfait.

(Oui, oui, cette poste est ma premiere. Desolee. :wink: )

15 Apr 2008, 6:27 pm

I heard you can still be serious when you are doing sarcasm. That I don't understand.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:49 pm

MJD wrote:
Viola wrote:
J'adore le sarcasme!

Celui francais c'est parfait.

Mais celui-là n'est pas assez bien écrit.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

15 Apr 2008, 6:51 pm

GoddessofSin wrote:

This post is hilarious. :lol: :lol: As you can tell DinkO I do like sarcasm. I find it to be a good way to joke with friends or harass people I either don't like or am pissed at. In my trade sarcasm and smartassery can be useful communication tools. The only people who are not regularly targeted for treatment are the rare nice Christian types that my local has exactly two of. Since I myself lack the patience of job and the pacifism of diaper boy Mahatma Gandhi then I have to do what I can to maintain my end of any sarcastic exchanges that happen. Maybe people are inviting you to be part of their fun. Try starting off easy and mild i.e. "did you make that up yourself?" or "if you ever had an original thought it would die of loneliness". From their you can move up to advanced sarcasm i.e. "What got wrapped in electric tape and shoved up your a** and died?". :lol: In no time at all you can begin enjoying spreading the health benefits of laughter through sarcasm. :D

15 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

I heard some sarcasm is bad because it can be hurtful, sarcasm can also be used to mock people.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

15 Apr 2008, 7:05 pm

On a more serious note DinkO I'm sure you've figured out that people who take smartass comments too seriously do tend to be targeted for more treatment. Best to either let it roll off your back or nail someone right back.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

pluto wrote:
I used to have a manager who's only form of humour was sarcasm.Most of his staff seemed to
think he was a lovable old grump and would laugh at his every comment.They were probably
only doing so to protect their jobs.I was only a temporary worker there and due to my objectivity I saw right through him.He just wasn't a very likeable person and took advantage of his position to make a fool of people. The last I heard he'd been transferred to a different
department,no doubt to keep him away from those he might upset.

EXACTLY my point.Nobody liked him and he was obviously very insecure, so he *kicked* at his employees who were below him to feel better about himself.

GoddessofSin wrote:
On the contrary. When I want to assert my intelligence I will have a very intellectual conversation. Sometimes this is fun to do to stupid people and watch the wide eye deer caught in headlights look while the hamsters have heart attacks running on their wheels trying to figure out what I just said. Sarcasm is a quick and easy blow off.

But thank you very much for pigeon holing me based on one post. You must be a high paid psychatrist. 5 mins and you have it all figured out. :lmao:

You're very welcome :mrgreen:.