Page 8 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 2:41 pm

Ya I didn't make that up. But you probally never heard the song, and my guess is you have no idea who Genesis is.

And the only reason I can swing dance is because we had to do it for my 'art' class. We did puppetry and mime and stuff.

Last edited by DanteRF on 02 May 2008, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:51 pm

Awesome lyrics.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 3:42 pm

I love dancing.

My prom is tommorow night & I am required to dance.

I can Tango and did learn The Spider.

silkboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2008, 10:41 pm

I myself have a problem with dancing with actual dance steps. I used to do theater and the like and always had problems learning dances. But in the last couple of years I have learned that I loved going to dance clubs. I get out on the floor and I just let my body move to the music. And yes, I do look like I am having seziures at times. I listen to high energy music (trance, synthpop, industrial, techno, etc.) and just let go. It feels incredible. Some people think I look like a fool, and sometimes I dance like that when I probably should not, but I am doing it for me. And on the other hand sometimes people are quite impressed that I am willing to let go and dance what I feel.

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2008, 11:37 pm

I can't dance for the life of me.

I have a friend who is an avid ballroom dancer, and she's dragged me along to the studio on multiple occasions. As always, I make an idiot out of myself. I'm so stiff when I move. [Added to that, ballroom is done in high heels....which doubles my awkwardness.]

Dancing's okay, I guess...but I would so rather be in a mosh pit! It's an incredible adrenaline kick to get pushed around...at least for me. :P

Axon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 May 2008, 1:24 pm

Yes I can dance, and I can dance damn well as a matter of fact. Over the last decade or so I've picked it up and gradually developed my own style, which is actually in part a form of controlled stimming! I love electronic dance music with a really funky, weird edge, and when I get on the dance floor I can let fly to the point where I almost forget where I am, as I become so focussed on the dance.

My stimming has almost always had a balancing and/or rhythmical quality to it (I'm also a trained musician). I will pick up on some kind of sensory stimulus (which could be in any sensory field) and then act to produce a stim that reflects the original one on the opposite side to produce a left/right symmetry, and sometimes more complex forms of symmetry. I can also become focussed on producing certain rhythmically patterned stims which invariably need to be somehow aesthetically satisfying to me in a musical sense.

So in dance I have managed to harness the stimming energy and transform it into a freeflowing improvisational form of self-expression - part order, part chaos - and the best thing is that I can stim all I like with hundreds of people around me. Instead of people getting freaked out by the behaviour, they love it, and just want to join in. It is without question one of the most profoundly satisfying activities I have in my life.

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 2:39 pm

I'm planning on taking bellydancing lessons sometime in the near future.

I don't know if I'm capable of normal dancing, since I've never been to a club or dancing event. I understand the concept, I just don't see the point in free-style dancing.. I mean, when I'm going about my day I never feel a random urge to dance, so I don't really get why people would gather and just.. dance.. I don't know. I'm going to stop talking now.

silkboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2008, 2:58 pm

I don't know that it is a "random urge". It is something that I plan to do, much the same as going to the gym. And in much the same way I never "feel" like doing it before I start, I just know that I have enjoyed it in the past. And once I get into it it feels great.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 3:00 pm

I have developed an interest in dancing. No particular kind, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2008, 11:10 pm

Izaak wrote:
I am a Lindy Hopper.

Love it to death. The music is the best too :)

The clip features some music and a "Jack & Jill" contest. That is, two dancers that haven't danced before and worked out a routine... all freestyle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8sseC91FAw[/youtube]

I started as a way to "tolerate" my tactile defensiveness, and just fell in love. I now do classes twice a week and even have danced "next to the band" in a few jazz concerts they have here. Basically I (and other lindy hoppers) get free entry into the concert if I dance in front of the crowd on the stage next to the band. (there is a big stage and an area they set aside just for this, apparently it "adds to the atmosphere" or some such.

That is so cool. I would love to be able to dance like that.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 12:05 am

Well, I guess I'm double posting, sorry. I love to dance and go to this one dance club about every 2 months. Would go more but I'm not a very going out kind of person. I didn't think I would ever be able to bring myself to going to such a place but always wanted to because I like dancing, just not in front of anyone. So, some former co-workers of mine took me to this dance club about 3 years ago for my birthday. I wouldn't have dared went by myself and at first it was very overwhelming and I didn't think I could handle it.

Watching the people dance was comical and I wondered how anyone could get out there and "act" like that, it reminded me of a Sim game when they're dancing. But once I got a few beers in me and loosened up the girls co-erced me into going out on the dance floor. At first I thought I was going to die and all I could see was these faces of men staring at me looking at me like "Well come on, show us what you got". I didn't know what else to do so I started moving and mimicking others dancing, actually I was in my own mind mocking them and making fun of them. After a while though I got into it a little more and for once in my life I felt like I was in sync with everyone else. It kind of felt like I was in another world. Not this world, or my own world, just another world, and in another body. It felt really good being me for a change. That was before my AS DX too so I didn't know what it all meant.

My co-workers didn't want to go back because they were younger and it was an older persons dance club but I ended up meeting someone else who went there. So I meet with her when I go, she goes all the time and she's really cool so I got lucky meeting someone I can go with and trust.

I simply go to escape and dance. I do wish I knew more actual dance moves and I have learned some but usually I just end up doing "the seizure". I don't do it to meet anyone and if anyone tries to dance with me I kind of move away. One guy once kind of forced me to dance with him and I thought I was going to die. AWKWARD! He got all up on me and stared at my face. I turned away with a frozen smile on my face and started dancing like some baby. My AS kicked in big time! I didn't know what to do, say or how to act. After about 2 minutes I said in a very monotone voice "I'm shy. I got to go". So I left. I didn't go back for about 5 months but now though I think most people there know my face well enough to know I'm just there to dance. Not to show off, showcase myself, pick up, be picked up or any of that, I'm just there to dance, by myself, and to escape.

Anyway, this was a long story, longer than I meant for it to be but I got into it. Dancing is kind of an obsessive interest of mine and if I watch it, I get almost in a trance. For anyone who reads all of this, congratulations, you made it to the end.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 1:26 am

Do we get a special prize for reaching the end of the post droopy?

And good to see you stuck with it.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 2:33 am

Why Izaak, you get to dance with me of course, no awkwardness, no shyness, just dancing. And you can teach me that Lindy Hop dancing you do while we're at it and I promise, I won't be droopy about it either, lol. Thanks for the reply.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:12 pm

It's a Shame some of you didn't live in the Age of Jazz!! 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuu0nmK_1S8[/youtube]

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I want to learn how to dance. :P

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 1:31 pm

Why? I mean, seriously... what's so fun about moving your limbs in key with a song? Especially when the chances of messing up and being humiliated are so high. I do not understand why anyone finds this "fun."