Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 8:22 pm

After I realized that NOBODY will hire me because I'm an aspie and haven't worked before because of it, I decided to start my own business. I'm in the final stages now; I've worked on it off and on since July 2007. It is a website with a unique idea that nobody else is doing. (Therefore, I can't tell you what it is until it's launched, because if I did I would have the idea stolen.) Does anybody else run their own business? Advice? It seems like a really good way to go since I tried Department of Rehabilitation and ended up with what another poster called a job for ret*ds. I tried college and trade school; no luck. (I have an associate's degree and a computer technician's certification, but no job.) I even let my mother, who works for a school district in the ghetto, set me up as a paraeducator (teacher's assistant in special education classes). The teachers HATED me, or more specifically hated my Asperger's, so I quit. So I'm starting a business. Hopefully this will work out.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:05 pm

Good luck. I had an eBay store for a few years until USPS kept raising postage and eBay kept raising fees. It worked out great because I never had to deal with ppl face to face or use the phone.

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 1:28 am

Yeah, Im in the process of making a transition to the business quadrant. I find it overwhelming but Im joining a team on it the subject so well see. I guess for my personality Is more of an active investor. I recommend reading Rich Dad Poor Dad for thoughts of the business mentality.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

kbergren21 wrote:
Yeah, Im in the process of making a transition to the business quadrant. I find it overwhelming but Im joining a team on it the subject so well see. I guess for my personality Is more of an active investor. I recommend reading Rich Dad Poor Dad for thoughts of the business mentality.

I have already read most of Kiyosaki's books. That's what gave me the idea to start my own business in the first place. It took me a long time to get in the B quadrant mentality. I tried investing in real estate during the boom, but flopped. Do you think that we're seeing the events predicted in Rich Dad's Prophecy and later books, as well as the All Booms Bust articles on the Rich Dad website, right now with credit drying up and banks failing?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm

What, nobody wants to start their own business, but wants to instead complain about how nobody is hiring them for years on end? Employers don't like aspies. People don't want to work with us. So, work for yourself. Logical? No?

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

pezar wrote:
What, nobody wants to start their own business, but wants to instead complain about how nobody is hiring them for years on end? Employers don't like aspies. People don't want to work with us. So, work for yourself. Logical? No?

When I was out of work, I made $1500/mo buying and selling between Garage sales, Craigslist and Ebay. For example, furniture goes cheap on Ebay because it cannot generally be shipped, but sells well on Craigslist because it's based on local commerce.

It's a poverty income, but better than nothing.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

t0
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 4:15 pm

pezar wrote:

Seems logical - if you have the drive to see it through. I started my own business (with a business partner) nine years ago. We started in software but transitioned into an ISP.

I don't buy the argument that employers don't like AS people. My #1 criteria for hiring is showing up on time every day. I don't care if my employees work late - I just want 8 solid hours of work every day. It probably helps that we're in technology and that we have employees whose main job is to answer the phone and create trouble tickets (thus shielding the shy techs from customer contact).

EDIT: typo

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:42 pm

I am trying to start my own business selling my crafts but am not business minded and make stuff that is evedently to weird to be popular and takes me to long to create to be easily marketed for the quick dollar. I haven't given up, just trying to learn from what I have done wrong. I still wrok a full-time job that I hate and am looking for a new job but hope that some day the seeling market will be better and I will have learned enough about marketing myself to make some sales. RIght now I am stuck selling on a web site that has 1,00,000 other sellers and it is hard to get noticed. I should be going to craft sales and net-working but find the socializing to be very intimidating. This "socializing" part is worse then going to job interviews.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2008, 7:00 pm

Great choice.

I have some advices thou. Sometimes a very good idea fails, and that's because It may be well ahead of Its time or because nobody wants to spent in that great idea or It can be done for free.

I encourage to do so but, If you fail.. try to make up another business (It could be online also) where there's competition but you can excel and outsmart your competition. If there are lots of clients then there is a lot of money.
The more people you help, the more money you earn. Creativity is a secondary step.

Just think about what people wants and thinks, and that's your rule.

Be patient and have lots of perseverance. I know that is not easy for us.
Be trustworthy with your sales. That will come naturally.

Do not listen to Robert Kiyosaki. What happened with real state investments?
Have a business plan.
Visit www.entrepreneur.com has some great ideas for free.
Have lawyers and accountants advices.
Save all the money you can and more.
Don't be afraid of hiring other people to do the job we cannot do.

Good luck!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:25 pm

Thanks BRI...I do have many ideas of things I might market better then my current ones. I was mostly working on things that I enjoy making rather then what I thought would sell. I do think the US economy is in the crapper right now and it's not a great market for "unnecissaries" people are just trying to keep their houses and afford milk and gas and pay for their medical insurence and their kids schooling. I do think the things I make would sell better if people could see and touch them rather then a picture on-line but I have to over-come my people shyness.

Perserverance is something I have :wink: I'm like "The Little Engine Who Could"...it may take me awhile to get up the hill but I just put my head down and keep chugging away, (hoping the rails don't lead over a cliff).

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:28 pm

pezar wrote:
After I realized that NOBODY will hire me because I'm an aspie and haven't worked before because of it, I decided to start my own business. I'm in the final stages now; I've worked on it off and on since July 2007. It is a website with a unique idea that nobody else is doing. (Therefore, I can't tell you what it is until it's launched, because if I did I would have the idea stolen.) Does anybody else run their own business? Advice? It seems like a really good way to go since I tried Department of Rehabilitation and ended up with what another poster called a job for ret*ds. I tried college and trade school; no luck. (I have an associate's degree and a computer technician's certification, but no job.) I even let my mother, who works for a school district in the ghetto, set me up as a paraeducator (teacher's assistant in special education classes). The teachers HATED me, or more specifically hated my Asperger's, so I quit. So I'm starting a business. Hopefully this will work out.

That what I am planning on doing too.

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2008, 7:20 pm

krex wrote:
Thanks BRI...I do have many ideas of things I might market better then my current ones. I was mostly working on things that I enjoy making rather then what I thought would sell. I do think the US economy is in the crapper right now and it's not a great market for "unnecissaries" people are just trying to keep their houses and afford milk and gas and pay for their medical insurence and their kids schooling. I do think the things I make would sell better if people could see and touch them rather then a picture on-line but I have to over-come my people shyness.

Perserverance is something I have :wink: I'm like "The Little Engine Who Could"...it may take me awhile to get up the hill but I just put my head down and keep chugging away, (hoping the rails don't lead over a cliff).

I saw your store, you have some great crafts! I love 'em. That kind of fashionable art would sale on a high traffic location. Maybe you could rent a small local in a shopping. Or you can make a wooden cart and hire someone to attend it. I guess you can spot a high traffic location.