Amaya 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lynx 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 90

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:21 pm

deep-techno wrote:
Safari on the PC is significantly faster than Firefox 2.0. It also has nicer text smoothing, like on a Mac. Perhaps my computer is just slow.

I would beg to differ... My experiences on safari have always been slower (and safari was running on its native environment of OSX, so either safari is slower or OSX is slower)

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

Compiku wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Isn't text smoothing dependent on whether you have ClearType fonts enabled for the OS?

For most things, yes, but Safari uses its own font smoothing, similar to the one used on Mac OS X. I've always thought that OS X's smoothing renders crisper than ClearType, even on an LCD.

Ewwwwww! That's a definite reason NOT to choose it, it's so annoying that Mac OS X apparently only can display blurry text but to spread the disease is insane! :twisted:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Compiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 6:56 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I would beg to differ... My experiences on safari have always been slower (and safari was running on its native environment of OSX, so either safari is slower or OSX is slower)

I think this is one of those thing that's different for everybody. For me, Safari 3.1.1 on OS X is about the same as Firefox as far as speed goes. On Windows, I found 3.0 and earlier to be very slow (they were beta, after all), but 3.1 and 3.1.1 have been about the same as Firefox.

LostInEmulation wrote:
Ewwwwww! That's a definite reason NOT to choose it, it's so annoying that Mac OS X apparently only can display blurry text but to spread the disease is insane! :twisted:

I always have a hard time not taking it personally when someone puts down the OS X font smoothing, which is one of my main reasons for choosing Safari. It's like they're implying that I have bad taste in text rendering.

Seriously, though, I don't understand why so many people hate the rendering. There's a bunch of people on the internet who want Safari for Windows to use ClearType. Why? Talk about blurry text! Apple did the right thing by including the OS X font smoothing.

Nintenderek17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I use IE 7, but plan to get a Mac, thus, I would be using Safari.

Actually, Macs can use IE now. They can also use all the other web browsers as well.

I personally use firefox and IE at school although I don't use a mac at all.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

Just stick to Firefox and f*ck the rest.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:37 pm

The figure speaks...

http://i27.tinypic.com/11m9q3p.jpg
*edited by lau to stop displaying the wide image (1024)*

Compiku

24 Apr 2008, 7:34 am

Nintenderek17 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I use IE 7, but plan to get a Mac, thus, I would be using Safari.

Actually, Macs can use IE now. They can also use all the other web browsers as well.

I personally use firefox and IE at school although I don't use a mac at all.

Hmm...but the thing is, there's no easy, simple way to run IE7 under OS X...but you can easily download and install Firefox or Opera.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2008, 6:03 pm

I mostly use the regular Microsoft Internet Explorer because I'm used to it but lately at home I'm using Firefox more because it seems to be faster.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:30 pm

Safari (for my mac).
Am currently aggravated because I'm not wiling/able to spend more money. Yet in order to upgrade my version of Safari, I'd have to buy a new (more recent than what came with my computer, which cost way too much money already) operating sytem from Apple first. Really making me grumpy.
I'm clueless about technological stuff so am in no position to just "up & switch" to some other (presumably free, available online ?) browser, either. Have dial-up connection, which other people mock & deride, but works for my lifestyle & budget-so that's also a factor in the choices I make. Feel way snarly about all this, sorry.

Raji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2008, 7:03 am

Firefox mostly, sometimes I open up an IE page to browse the web if I am watching a video in firefox. Just a precaution incase firefox or IE crashes. Better to lose one page then two.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 1:51 am

I use Firefox though it deletes my bookmarks every once in a while. :evil:

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:25 pm

I use Firefox, I've had no problems and I love the add ons

Ornithocheirus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2008, 10:00 pm

IE 7,its good enough for me.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2008, 11:45 am

Firefox for most things and occasionally lynx, for either fun or to remove ad's from text pages.Also once I make my webpage for a computer building company I will need it for testing that, however I will need a domain 1st.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:19 pm

I got carried away, and decided to add some of the other browsers that people use.

(Mainly so I could get to see the results - as I couldn't see them, and I refused to vote for a browser that I don't use.)

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:11 am

Compiku wrote:
I always have a hard time not taking it personally when someone puts down the OS X font smoothing, which is one of my main reasons for choosing Safari. It's like they're implying that I have bad taste in text rendering.

Seriously, though, I don't understand why so many people hate the rendering. There's a bunch of people on the internet who want Safari for Windows to use ClearType. Why? Talk about blurry text! Apple did the right thing by including the OS X font smoothing.

For me it is because the characters all seem to have a colored outline, just as if you look though thick lenses. Also, the contrasts are all wrong and different letters are differently colored. This makes text harder to read for me. But I guess this is a matter of taste.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!