Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

21 Apr 2008, 5:05 pm

Sometime last week I was going to work and I was playing Super Princess Peach on my Nintendo DS and this guy gets on the bus and he had to bark "Hey" to me to get my attention because my bag was in the way for him to sit down so I move it.
He starts talking and then he asks me if my DS gets channel four on it. Knowing it was a stupid question I answer it politely anyway by saying "no and it's not a TV, it's a game I'm playing."

I am sure other people would not answer thinking he was an idiot and not even realize he is video game illiderate and he has probably never seen those before so he did not know what it was. Did I know Game Boy existed or Game gear when I was little? No because I had never seen them and never knew about them till I was 8. But heck grown ups have been baffled about video games because they ask me about them because they never seen them before because they weren't in their life time when they were kids and when they were young adults. So for them to see new technology, of course they are going to be baffled because they had never seen it on TV, read about it, or even heard about it. I;m surprised they wouldn't even see them in stores. It's hard to miss the section when you are out getting a new TV or DVD, VCR, stereo. Maybe they saw them and didn't know what it was because they didn't stop to even look at them. Did I notice video games when I went to toy stores or department stores? No. Not until I started playing video games. So perhaps it's the same as those older grown ups. Heck I didn't even know the old Nintendo existed till I was 13. I always thought the Super NES was the first.

The guy tells me I made him feel good because whenever he is joking, people think he is serious and when he is serious, they laugh thinking he is joking. The lady who was sitting three seats from me laughed and the guy said "See."

Then I realized other people would have thought he was joking if he asked them if their DS has a channel four.
Thanks to me taking things literal, I took him serious and it made his day. :D

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 21 Apr 2008, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

:mrgreen: I love being literal sometimes, well done you! It's so nice making people's days. Even a smile in passing on the street can do the trick!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

Spokane_Girl,

When I was born, there were apparently NO LCDs!! !! ! LEDs weren't out yet, since the first one usable for visible light was developed around my birth! Lithium batteries didn't exist! Nickel Metal Hydroxide batteries didn't exist! "LSI" ICs weren't practical until about the time I was a little kid! About the time I was 7, I got a REEL TO REEL player! I got a RECORD player not long after that! WOW! And THEN, about when I was a junior in high school I got an Apple II+! The IBM PC wasn't out yet, and the MPU(The brains of small microcomputers) was first "invented" only a few years earlier! HECK, my first calculator cost like $30, and didn't do very much.

The first digital watches were LED, and you had to press a button to get the time, because LEDs took a LOT of power!

BTW Remote controls were ULTRASONIC when I was a young kid! IRONICALLY, they now use the older LEDs, possibly because ICs now make the integration easier.

It is nice that you even realize that some adults don't know about stuff you take for granted. I was FLOORED when I found they used to have GAS refrigerators! Instead of using freon, they used ammonia and water! Heck, I learned how the electronics industry was in the 50s(even though that was before my time), and I have watched it grow to today. It is TOTALLY different! In the fifties, you had point to point wiring, tubes, etc... TODAY, you have printed circuit boards and ICs.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

Yes, I enjoy being literal. I wish more people would say what they actually mean, instead of using words in abstract ways in place of what they're trying to say :S (when I try to do this, it comes across as gibberish). We all have our own ways of speaking, and I sometimes enjoy trying to sort out what someone means. :) I like to just sit and listen to some people, just because of the interesting phrases that come my way.

(and sorry for getting a little off topic; I tend to do that :S)

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

P.S. my dad's family is from near Spokane :)

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

I enjoy being literal as well, I take everything literally, especially slang. I do it on purpose, I know what people really mean but I get a kick out of their reactions when they think I took it literally. :lol:

21 Apr 2008, 8:04 pm

Being literal on purpose all the time is bad because what is going to happen when you do take something literal unintensional, people will think you are faking it again. It's crying wolf when you do it.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 12:28 pm

I would have taken that literally as well. :) It's good to hear that his day was made better, because usually when I take things literally either someone has a good laugh at my expense or they become frustrated.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:58 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Sometime last week I was going to work and I was playing Super Princess Peach on my Nintendo DS and this guy gets on the bus and he had to bark "Hey" to me to get my attention because my bag was in the way for him to sit down so I move it.
He starts talking and then he asks me if my DS gets channel four on it. Knowing it was a stupid question I answer it politely anyway by saying "no and it's not a TV, it's a game I'm playing."

I am sure other people would not answer thinking he was an idiot and not even realize he is video game illiderate and he has probably never seen those before so he did not know what it was. Did I know Game Boy existed or Game gear when I was little? No because I had never seen them and never knew about them till I was 8. But heck grown ups have been baffled about video games because they ask me about them because they never seen them before because they weren't in their life time when they were kids and when they were young adults. So for them to see new technology, of course they are going to be baffled because they had never seen it on TV, read about it, or even heard about it. I;m surprised they wouldn't even see them in stores. It's hard to miss the section when you are out getting a new TV or DVD, VCR, stereo. Maybe they saw them and didn't know what it was because they didn't stop to even look at them. Did I notice video games when I went to toy stores or department stores? No. Not until I started playing video games. So perhaps it's the same as those older grown ups. Heck I didn't even know the old Nintendo existed till I was 13. I always thought the Super NES was the first.

The guy tells me I made him feel good because whenever he is joking, people think he is serious and when he is serious, they laugh thinking he is joking. The lady who was sitting three seats from me laughed and the guy said "See."

Then I realized other people would have thought he was joking if he asked them if their DS has a channel four.
Thanks to me taking things literal, I took him serious and it made his day. :D

some handheld games consoles can work as tvs,am not sure if the next gen ones like the psp and ds have a tv tuner adapter available,but am do remember the sega game gear having one so it'd be able to have any channel on not that it would be worth it anyway when the games are much better.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

22 Apr 2008, 5:51 pm

Sega Game Gear doesn't have one. Mine certinally doesn't. It has the volume control and the screen adjuster thing.

I have never heard about a DS having a TV adapter thing.

You're from England so maybe your guy's consoles have all that and ours don't. That explain why I never saw any Game gears with a channel button on it.

smheath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 12:40 am

Actually the Game Gear did have one. It didn't come with it, it was a module you could add on that plugged into the cartridge slot.