Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:21 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
A little off topic here: speaking of avatars Rainbow Squirrel, is that Conkers? :P

Yes ! ! :wink:

And you contributed to Conkers being here when you said my previous avatar was bad ! :wink:

I did? :? What was your previous avatar?

(So many avatars to remember and so many people changing them, you can't blame me for not remembering, since I don't have a photographic memory. :P )

I like the Conkers avatar.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I remember a teacher at school when I was about 7 (long before my AS diagnosis, or anyone knowing anything about it then!) telling me "If you can't look me in the eye, then look right here between my eyebrows, that way it at least looks like you're paying attention!" ...I've been using that trick ever since on and off. I wonder if she knows how big an impact those words had on me, bless her.

Yeah, but I read that this only works (meaning the person you're looking at doesn't know you're looking between their eyes) at a certain distance.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
I remember a teacher at school when I was about 7 (long before my AS diagnosis, or anyone knowing anything about it then!) telling me "If you can't look me in the eye, then look right here between my eyebrows, that way it at least looks like you're paying attention!" ...I've been using that trick ever since on and off. I wonder if she knows how big an impact those words had on me, bless her.

Yeah, but I read that this only works (meaning the person you're looking at doesn't know you're looking between their eyes) at a certain distance.

Bugger, she didn't mention that part. So I've been doing it wrong all these years? Woops.

NTs - Is that even ruder than no eye-contact at all?!

kip
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:29 pm

I look at the corners of peoples eyes and flick back and forth between the outside corners. I've had a few NT's tell me it really seems to work, cause it took them a bit to notice I wasn't really looking at them. It seems to only work from about arms length away, but thats my comfortable distance anyway.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:31 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
A little off topic here: speaking of avatars Rainbow Squirrel, is that Conkers? :P

And you contributed to Conkers being here when you said my previous avatar was bad ! :wink:

(So many avatars to remember and so many people changing them, you can't blame me for not remembering, since I don't have a photographic memory. :P )

It was this : Balls 21-36-08.jpg

Don't worry, you weren't alone ! :wink:

Web Page Name

And yes, Conkers is definitely better ! :wink:

Edit: how do I post an image ??

Last edited by Rainbow-Squirrel on 22 Apr 2008, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:31 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Bugger, she didn't mention that part. So I've been doing it wrong all these years? Woops.

NTs - Is that even ruder than no eye-contact at all?!

I don't remember what the distance would have to be between you and the person you're looking at, but if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have to be too big. I'd figure if people don't ask you why you're looking at the spot between their eyes then they probably didn't notice. :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:34 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

It was this : Balls 21-36-08.jpg

Don't worry, you weren't alone ! :wink:

Web Page Name

And yes, Conkers is definitely better ! :wink:

Edit: how do I post an image ??

Oh, now I remember! Rainbow Squirrel, when I said that I didn't mean it in the sense that I didn't like your avatar, I meant it was too stimmy for people to look at your written text. :P

But I think Conkers is better too. It brings back good memories. 8)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm

kip wrote:
I look at the corners of peoples eyes and flick back and forth between the outside corners. I've had a few NT's tell me it really seems to work, cause it took them a bit to notice I wasn't really looking at them. It seems to only work from about arms length away, but thats my comfortable distance anyway.

That's a good tip, now all I have to do is remember to do that when looking somebody in the eye. :P

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
kip wrote:

That's a good tip, now all I have to do is remember to do that when looking somebody in the eye. :P

I like it! :D

Where are you meant to look, anyway? Like at one eye, or both, at the middle, the sides... what?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
when I said that I didn't mean it in the sense that I didn't like your avatar, I meant it was too stimmy for people to look at your written text. :P

Seems like misinterpretation is not limited to face-to-face interactions :wink:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
when I said that I didn't mean it in the sense that I didn't like your avatar, I meant it was too stimmy for people to look at your written text. :P

Seems like misinterpretation is not limited to face-to-face interactions :wink:

I'm glad it was cleared. :D Sorry I wasn't clearer, I would usually expect somebody to get defensive if their chosen avatar was criticised so I didn't think there was a misunderstanding.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:51 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I'm glad it was cleared. :D Sorry I wasn't clearer, I would usually expect somebody to get defensive if their chosen avatar was criticised so I didn't think there was a misunderstanding.

:thumleft:

vulcan80
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2008, 6:41 pm

Ok, here's my advice on eye contact. I used to be really bad at eye contact and never looked people in the eyes. Over the years, with lots of practice, this is what I've learned.

You are looking into their eyes almost 100% of the time when you are speaking. When they are speaking, look into their eyes about 3/4 of the time. If you stare 100% of the time for a long time, it's weird. A long time is approximately 30 seconds or more.

Don't shift between looking at them and not looking at them too fast, it's means you're nervous. Looking down means you're shy or intimidated.

I find it really uncomfortable to look into people's eyes too, but it's really important. I practice my concerned/attentive face in the mirror :P

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 6:48 pm

vulcan80 wrote:
You are looking into their eyes almost 100% of the time when you are speaking. When they are speaking, look into their eyes about 3/4 of the time. If you stare 100% of the time for a long time, it's weird. A long time is approximately 30 seconds or more.

Thanks for that. I'll try to remember it next time I'm speaking face to face with somebody I don't know.

Looks like a very complicated recipe, only there are no accurate measures. :?

How did you get over the uncomfortable feeling of looking somebody in the eye?

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:17 pm

What seems to have worked on gaining me a job was to pay attention to when they move their gaze away from your face. Once they do, move your gaze away from their direction, and then wait about 0.3-0.5 seconds, look to see if they are trying to make eye contact again, and if they are, return it.

Try to mimick the other person's eye contact habits as best as you can.

I'll have to try vulcan80's advice as well. I could learn a lot from it once I get it right. My main problem is remembering to make eye contact at all; I still forget to much of the time in most conversations.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:58 pm

so many good ideas :D I'm very pleased :D P.S. I put a pic of me in glasses :D he he, so no one has to look at my eyes. :D

I have a question: do you find that it's easier to look someone in the eyes if they're far away from you? like across a room?