sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:07 am

KBABZ wrote:
*sigh*

Another post ignored...

Igno-rant topic

KBABZ, I read loud and clear. Mostly I am ignored, unless I write something really stimmy.

I LOVE your avatar. Good name for an Aspie asp! :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:01 pm

jelibean wrote:
Nah mate, you aint ill and you aint disordered!! You are quite 'normal' for a jellybean!! ! :wink:

My room is dis-ordered... should do something about that... ;)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 7:58 pm

If science is going to be all this biased political s**t and not about the true nature of the world, then f**k science, I'm going to be a wizard.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 8:11 pm

sceintests = paid people who grduated in A-Level sceince that are as likely to make mistakes as every one else and are no diffrent either.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:56 am

jamescampbell wrote:
sceintests = paid people who grduated in A-Level sceince that are as likely to make mistakes as every one else and are no diffrent either.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2008, 10:18 am

I think this too... and I'm ok if anyone disagrees with me!

The only reason I think like this is because of my mental health... to everyone who meets me, I am perfectly normal (like an NT woo) but inside my head, I am seriously messed up.

The doctors are extremely worried about my mental health and believe I am making myself ill..

It all seems to have started - my problems, I mean - when I was diagnosed with AS. So that leads me to believe that autism is a mental illness.. after all, something must be going on in our heads, eh?

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but it's just how I feel ok?

My DAD however feels differently.. he thinks autism is linked to how you were born. Like, if you couldn't get out of the womb and the midwife/doctor had to grab your head with forceps.. he thinks that could've damaged the brain... I happen to know that my cousin has Cerebal Palsy because the doctor crushed her skull when she was born..

But I really don't know.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:25 am

Hiya, well to be honest I think you AND your dad are slightly wrong! But your dad is closest!

I am 100% convinced that ASC is GENETIC. Who are you like, your mum or your dad, bet one of them is on the spectrum themselves!

Ooooh and forceps delivery makes no difference! Promise!, it is the wiring inside the plug that is important NOT the casing!!

Stay sane! :wink:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

mental illness can be cureable and because of the illness,can go from stable to unstable often.
Autism is not that,so is not an illness,it can be unstable but that is due to outside input,environment etc.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 3:43 pm

Amazing. Simply amazing. Maybe, being late to the thread, the link changed...? Or the article was edited...?

Quote:
A hereditary illness?
The causes of autism open up another vast and difficult debate: the heritability of autism. Many scientists believe that autism is a hereditary family mental illness or depression. Currently there is much research into genetic linkage analysis in autism. Another school of thought argues that autism is linked to the environment: toxins, food additives, chemicals and pollutants that affect the body, and cause problems with the body’s immune and gustatory systems. Some believe there is a link between autism and the MMR vaccine (the vaccination for measles, mumps and rubella).
As yet there is no cure for autism. Some countries (and I believe Italy is one) adopt a medical model approach, ie, putting what resources they have into research and development to look for possible cures. Other countries adopt a social model which look to provide services for those with autism (these two positions are not mutually exclusive).
Granted, it's poor wording (and poor grammar), but the point of the statement is basically correct. The tone of the whole article is geared towards low-functioning, despite the statement that 10% of Italians have Autism (and the population of Italy is 5.8million). Kinda sad for a "consultant for Autism".

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 1:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Scientists are paid to come up with crackpot theories.

:roll:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 2:03 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
mental illness can be cureable and because of the illness,can go from stable to unstable often.
Autism is not that,so is not an illness,it can be unstable but that is due to outside input,environment etc.

Autism not an illness???

I don't follow your logic at all.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 3:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:

Yep, that whole gravity thing is such BS! Newton was just a whore for the corporations! Einstein was the same way, wtf do we need some theory of relativity for? Who cares about how light travels around large stars in space? Dumb scientists, just leeches on society!

/sigh

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 6:27 pm

Mage wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Yep, that whole gravity thing is such BS! Newton was just a whore for the corporations! Einstein was the same way, wtf do we need some theory of relativity for? Who cares about how light travels around large stars in space? Dumb scientists, just leeches on society!

/sigh

But you can't compare psychologists/psychiatrists to physicists. Physics is a hard science that has a strong theoretical foundation. Most psychology is such a soft science that some of it is almost absurd.

If you read a lot of the papers its mostly meaningless statistics and highly subjective interpretations, some of them obviously culturally biased. They don't even have a working definition of what "mental illness" is. It's all meaningless contrived categorizations. I’m not going to take their stuff on mere authority.

The stuff in the OP sounds like meaningless BS to me.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 7:13 pm

You hate psychiatry, marshal?

That doesn't suprise me.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 5:07 pm

Why am I not surprised at this? cause, I can recall reading where at time or another that epilepsy, had about a century ago was seen as being a mental illness as such, when in fact, it was simply a trouble with certain components within the brain that causes all such.Still, to have certain parties look upon Autism and it's variants as being in the family of mental illness well then might as well look at Car Sagan,Amadeus Mozart,and all other notable historical autistics as being nothing more than a bunch of lunatics...

On a final note.. I could care less how the rest of societ sees the autistic world cause, regardless where here and will continue to be so.Enough said!

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 5:25 pm

Carl Sagan was a best friend of MY best friend (college professor) back in high school and beyond. He was NOT autistic.