scientists think autism is part of the mental illness family

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 5:25 pm

Carl Sagan was a best friend of MY best friend (college professor) back in high school and beyond. He was NOT autistic.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 4:41 pm

Newton was actually a member of the Puritan government, and was a professor
Einstein worked on the Manhattan Project, and was a professor...aside from that fling with Marylin Monroe...;)

don't think either was in big business...;)

I gotcha...don't worry, I just think it's ironic...;)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 5:19 pm

jaydog wrote:
thought this was interesting article, scientists think autism is part of the mental illness/depression family, if this is true the stats should be below in 1 out of 150 in the coming years. .pretty scary with the wars and our troops coming home with depression and mental illness, but this also goes with my research and my beliefs as well.

A hereditary illness?
The causes of autism open up another vast and difficult debate: the heritability of autism. Many scientists believe that autism is a hereditary family mental illness or depression. Currently there is much research into genetic linkage analysis in autism.

view article

Interesting article, however the writer didn't put too much research into the condition of autism and ASD's. Had they done so, they would have learned that unlike mental illnesses which are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, ASD's are instead caused by physical differances in the way that the brain is, for the lack of another term to sufficiently describe it in pedestrian terms, 'Wired'.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:18 pm

I don't think that my autism is a mental illness. It's just a different way of thinking.