Pissing off your creative writing teachers. Unintentionally.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you sometimes sleep with the lights on?
No - that's uneconomic! 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Yes - I can afford to! 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
What the....? 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 18

sim
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 8:06 am

Did anyone else ever never follow directions for papers, save going off on a tangent (sometimes even a secant) about the topic? And then get blamed for not doing it correctlOOOH GRAPES!

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 8:14 am

yeah thats happened alot but sometimes they gave me a good grade for creativity(but that was only rarely)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:22 am

I have, but I'll learned from it :D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:27 am

Yes. :(

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:40 pm

Not that I can afford to, I know it's a waste of money, but I keep a night light on. I should probably get a timer or something that'll turn it off automatically in an hour or two.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:41 pm

As for the...other topic? I had to write an essay on animal abuse...I figure "endangered animals are abused" so I wrote an essay on pandas =)

She told me she couldn't grade it =(

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:47 pm

I leave a couple on now because, someone tried to break in a few weeks ago. They want my meds. :x

Those who know, don't speak.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:59 pm

I oftentimes can't figure out what the professor wants so my strategy is to choose a topic in the intersection of what they might want and what I can do.

I have been told many times that I have written off topic :oops: While I am quite capable of writing papers, I find doing anything that isn't completely straightforward extremely stressful. Yay for being a math major! :cheers:

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:02 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
As for the...other topic? I had to write an essay on animal abuse...I figure "endangered animals are abused" so I wrote an essay on pandas =)

She told me she couldn't grade it =(
I get that completely! (Done it a gazillion times myself) Maybe next time if you can do your topic about that before writing it?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 7:07 pm

I've had problems with almost (or shortly) falling asleep in class, but it's always third to fourth period, for whatever reason. Last year, the one day we had a university professor lecturing our class, I kept falling asleep, tilting too far, then jerking awake just in time to catch myself from falling off my chair. At home, I sleep with the lights off unless I manage to freak myself out (which is, unfortunately, easy for me to do), in which case I sleep my desk lamp. So there's the answer to the apparently unrelated poll topic.

I took creative writing freshmen year. I would go off topic a little bit, but not so much that I could get points docked. I'd push the bounds of what I could do, to some extent, but I always got away with it; the teacher loved my work, so you know. The fact that I spent almost all of my class time doodling didn't seem to bother her.

I think there's been one time when I went off what was allowed; it was English 9. The teacher wrote that I had skipped several key components, but she liked it so much that she gave me 100/100 anyway. Writing has never been a problem with me.

Three years!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

The only times I remember doing that were unintentional. Once in a great while, I didn't understand what was being asked. The few times I was asked to purposely free write for a story, I couldn't do it.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:00 am

I always lost marks on my uni essays for confusing "interesting" with "relevant".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:03 am

Grapes? Where? *searches*

Anyways, we were allowed to do basically anything in our Creative Writing class. I think the most annoying thing I did was finish my story early and ask to be excused.

African American Writers, on the other hand... I've gone slightly off-topic once or twice. Also, when we were supposed to give a presentation on a poet from the Harlem Renaissance, I was very unprepared and stated this fact. I think I got a bad grade on it, but it was still a passing grade.

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:30 am

Always did well in Uni with Creative Writing essays. I was allowed to pick very odd topics, so it wasn't a problem.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 May 2008, 8:07 am

I like Creative Writing at my school, however small it is, because we basically bring our own work in that we've worked on elsewhere. I remember the first one I brought to the class; Kipo's English Essay, which is an Essay Kipo once did for English class about her daily routine. Kipo is an Aspie, despite being an alien on the planet Inithial, and it shows in how she writes. I also read it out, so I was able to mimic Kipo's very spaced out way of speaking.

The class said that it was quite good, and despite it being long, they couldn't think of anything I could excise from it since the paper would have lost something, and they liked Kipo's personality and how she was as she was.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 8:47 am

Yes. I still have no idea how to do a rough-draft. :?