Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:30 pm

yet others do. Why is that, I wonder? Watching an ant bustle along, you'll observe his constant course-corrections, yet for no apparent reason. A mouse tends to scamper in a straight line when he's moving quickly. Larger bioforms like cats, dogs, and horses don't meander like ants. And if they do it means they've got an inner-ear problem or rabies. The larger the creature, I think, the less complex its locomotion.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 1:42 pm

ants follow chemical trails left by other ants that are searching about for goodies or whatso.

they arent really thinking about going straight.

and the ant before them isnt going back to make sure their trail is as efficient as possible.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 2:52 am

I think you mean Brownian movement. In theory, they're supposed to, depending on the animal. Like Shayne said, about ants, it's a chemical trail. Look thought at 'flyers' and 'gliders' (like flying squirrels, even snakes); they have a trajectory, like automatic trigonometry and they account for this in their travel.

Plus, there's the topography - the key! What is straight is the surface is not? Changes the whole dynamics.