Cat Fanatics: Male Cats vs Female Cats

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:13 pm

I have the chance to adopt a BEAUTIFUL black long hair kitten. I fell in love with the little guy. He's at a shelter. I would have brought him home but all of my experiences with male cats have been poor ones. I find they like to relieve themselves in places other than the cat box when they're being territorial or angry.

I've had three female cats. Two were aloof, but very well-behaved. The third, which I currently have, is (I swear) the world's best cat. I do want a friend for her, and another for me (love cats) but I am honestly worried about having a male.

Anyone want to guide me on this? I know there are a lot of other cat lovers here!

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 8:15 pm

My cat Stinker is a male, we had him neutered for that very reason. He may not mark his territory but his appetite is monstrous as a result.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:14 pm

My brother's cat is a female, and she pees all over the place >_< Idunno if it's just when she's in heat or what...he really needs to get her fixed.

My cat's a male...the only problems I've had with him is sometimes he likes to spray my jacket if I let the sleeve dangle too low :roll: I don't know why, maybe I get some sort of scent on it that he doesn't like.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:25 pm

Well none of my male cats do that because they've been neutered!!

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2008, 10:34 pm

Males are more likely to spray, but they're not alone.

I'm pretty lucky in that all of my cats tend to use the litter box. Aside from a couple of incidents over the past 3 years, my biggest complaint has been the occassional hairball.

Anyway, cats are strange animals and their personalities way too different to generalize.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2008, 10:55 pm

If you get him from a shelter, he may be neutered already. Ask. If he isn't, get him fixed QUICK!

We have 2 male cats and even though they're fixed, one likes to think he's marking his territory anyway. Dummy. :roll:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:57 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
We have 2 male cats and even though they're fixed, one likes to think he's marking his territory anyway. Dummy. :roll:

That's probably instinct. We had my cat de-clawed yet he still to this day tries to sharpen his claws. :lol:

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:59 pm

the cat I have right now I can't tell if its male or female because it's still a kitten, but if its a female I might give it away I like male cats better they're more laid back then female cats are.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:05 pm

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
If you get him from a shelter, he may be neutered already. Ask. If he isn't, get him fixed QUICK!

:lmao: I have one too that does it. He rubs his behind on the front door while my other cat sits there and stairs at him with his head cocked to the side and a look of "what a dummy."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 12:40 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Well none of my male cats do that because they've been neutered!!

He's neutered, but he does it anyway =(

It's just very, very, very rare.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 1:49 am

All the males I've had have been really laid back, the only problems I've ever had have been with a female. My ex wanted another cat to go with the male we already had, so she got a year old female from the shelter. Our old cat couldn't have cared less, but the new one was a demon, peeing and poohing outside of the litterbox, all over the house. It was terrible, the new cat was so territorial, she kicked our old cat out of all of his favorite spots, in addition to her marking the whole house. We tried to give her back to the shelter, but when we described her problems they said they'd put her down, so we couldn't go through with it. We eventually made her into a permanent outdoor cat, until a neighbor adopted her. I guess they had no problems, so I guess she just had to be an only cat. The moral of my story, I guess, is that it's not just males who get territorial and scent mark everything.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:04 am

The cat I am considering is neutered, but so was my previous territory marker. Neutering just doesn't stop some of them.

I think I'm going to give him a chance. Thank you for all the input!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:13 am

I've mostly had male cats throughout my life. I think I've only had two female cats, while I remember having at least five male cats (not at once, though). I noticed that un-neutered male cats tend to wander away from home a lot, and the female cat I have now has an attitude problem.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:23 am

I currently have three indoor male cats, a trio of brothers. I think they are wonderful. I think the girls tend to be more tidy in their litterbox habits than the boys. Samantha was the cleanest cat I ever had. The boys' mother, Puffy, is also very clean, as is the new girl, C.C. Two of my boys, Peter and Prince, go outside the box. Paul is as tidy as the girls. He is as meticulous as Samantha used to be.

Personalitywise, the girls tend to be feisty and independent, while the boys are laid back. Paul is my Velcro Cat.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 6:49 pm

Ok, I am biased towards female cats (because of the spray issue) But then came Dooley, a black and white tuxedo who insisted that he wanted to live with me and my two tuxedo females rather than the people who owned him. They ended up moving and left him behind. Dooley lived with me to the ripe old age of 25. Then there was Sidney, a Maine Coon, who also decided that the situation at my place was better than where he was living, and after he ran away from them the second time I said he could stay, and he too lived to an old age. Then there was Baby, a big orange and white longhair who had a fetish for elbows (no kidding). He didn't live so long, he died at 10 of feline AIDS. They were all neutered and except for Baby's elbow fetish displayed no behavior problems.

I now have two neutered females, and for some reason lately I have been attracting tomcats around my place. Last summer it was an orange tom named Morris who would not go away. I finally ended up taking him to the vet to get him neutered but had to have him put to sleep because he had feline AIDS (FIV). This summer I have a white tom named Sam. There were a couple of others but their owners got them neutered. They still come around though. I think its because of the catnip bags I get from my vet, they are really really potent.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:34 am

"Moggies" (tomcats) may appear to me to be even sweeter than she-cats. Moggies may be more nice in their appearance to me.