Am I talking too much? No, seriously...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TheUnthinkable
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2008, 7:24 pm

In order to help my social habit of talking away I ask friends and family whether I talk too much.

Problem is, I've asked and convinced them to talk and they seem to be okay with me talking, even though I get really tired after prolonged periods of speech.

Is there any other polite way to ask if you're talking too much? :?

Last edited by TheUnthinkable on 04 May 2008, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 7:26 pm

"Am I talking too much?" is something I'd suggest.

TheUnthinkable
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2008, 7:33 pm

Aalto wrote:
"Am I talking too much?" is something I'd suggest.

Well, that's exactly what I was asking... XD

Edit: Oops, you mean the title? Well, that's what was typed on a whim, but I always ask my friends and family "Am I talking too much?" :oops:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 7:52 pm

I am told there are non verbal ways people hint to each other that they are talking too much, and if you are oblivious to those hints you are considered rude because it is just assumed you 'got' the hint, you just didn't want to take it.

so if you don't get the hint of
1.) tapping their fingers
2.) looking away a lot , a LOT
3.) looking at their watch
4.) rolling their eyes
5.) sticking their fingers into their ears
6.) screaming at you to shut the **** up

then you just might ask "am I talking too much?"

:wink:

Merle

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 8:00 pm

also, look for MEGO (My Eyes Glaze over)...usually a side effect of Powerpoint Presentations...;)

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 9:56 pm

Many Aspies have this problem. I've met some that are simply unbearable. I would say, practise asking questions of the other person and giving them time to talk. Most NTs don't mind you talking as long as you let them speak too. Don't dominate the conversation.

Most NTs are too polite to say yes if you say "Am I talking too much?" so look for the cues that sinsboldly talked about, and like I said just make a conscious effort to let the other person talk.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 10:07 pm

you know. . in stead of saying "am I talking too much" ask THEM a question about them! try to remember the last thing they did say and ask them with curiosity about the subject and then take a breather.

And if you can't remember what they did say. . .ask them something about their selves. .

but watch out, they can go on for ever about the most inane subjects!
Merle

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 10:43 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
you know. . in stead of saying "am I talking too much" ask THEM a question about them! try to remember the last thing they did say and ask them with curiosity about the subject and then take a breather.

And if you can't remember what they did say. . .ask them something about their selves. .

but watch out, they can go on for ever about the most inane subjects!
Merle

Right! Wake them up with a sharp shove, then ask. Politely.

Oh....everyone! Announcement (ahem): Please check WP homepage for my NEW thread! ......The cure. Yes, pakled, you too.

amaren
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2008, 3:41 am

Shelby is right, most people won't answer "Am I talking too much?" in the affirmative unless they're an inch from killing you for it anyway.

I default to assuming that if I'm considering that I might be talking too much, I most probably am. Then I say "Sorry, I'm talking too much", brush off the politeness-required "no, really you aren't" and try to ask them what they think or if they agree or what their favourite x is, etc etc. Inevitably I'll do it again 5 mins later, but that's the best I can manage.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2008, 1:48 pm

Try asking some of the customers at the place I work if they talk too much!