Has anyone ever received Social security for Asperger's/NLD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 3:26 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I don't have NLD but I do have an AS diagnoses. I am on SSI and got money from them for a few years. They had to do a phone interview with me and with my mother, they sent me to a psychologist or something and she did tests with me. they also contacted my old hospitals and doctors like my old shrink and she had to call my mother I think for permission and I had to give my shrink permission to release information to them on me.

Nothing was never taken away from me, I still have normal rights as everyone else. Your diagnoses is kept private, no one is allowed to release your medical information without your permission. So you should be able to get a job, right to vote, rent a car, etc. It will not be in your passport information either.
ditto i get money for supplies and bills and therapy (mostly doing stuff like going to swim etc)

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2009, 4:34 pm

I am on Social Security for Asperger's, but mainly because I had too much anxiety and depression to work. I did not have to have an evaluation or anything. they just gave me the check, but that was because my mom applied for me when i was 3, but my disability was not severe enough for me to receive it back then.
After I received the social security I did however, had to be evaluated to get services. In order to get any services, especially vocational services from my state, I had to get the social security first.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2009, 10:54 pm

they still have my disability listed as borderline personality disorder and i do get money

doctors think the best thing to do is fill me with every anti psychotioc drug ever made and like to insist that medicine never makes problems and their excuses for why i have symptoms when on the medicine and the symptoms go away when not on it is the medicine brings out the real you

i say so does crack

as far as dealing with the police all they do is tell me to go home and take my medicine even though i am not on any now and all the problems i had when on the medicine is gone now

i do own fire arms since aspergers is not a mental illness and technically borderline personality disorder is not even a condition but assumed to be one

if you do all the research on borderline personality disorder it is what is called a non condition and is what a psychaiatrist uses when they are not able to diagnose you with a mental illness but need some name as a reason to put you on medicine

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 8:18 am

thought would post this,as its about the UKs SSI,and will affect aspies and NLDers amongst others.
those who get income support or incapacity benefit [or ESA] should look at this:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0ad4da1c-6f2b ... ck_check=1

saw a lot of threads about it on a disability forum.
from what could understand,users there have said the benefits people are going to be removing almost all off IS/IB/ESA,they are targetting people who have mild or moderate impairment.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2009, 3:56 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I had a friend who was on SSI for Bipolar Disorder. She was legally required to take meds. Technically, she could get arrested for cashing her SSI checks and not taking her meds. I didn't just hear this from her; I also heard it from a social worker who was called in when she had a bad manic episode.

She was also legally bound to disclose to employers that she was on SSI. She had to let them know during the application phase - before they agreed to hire her. I don't remember if she had to say what her diagnosis was, though.

I don't know how easy it is for an SSI recipient to become required by the government to take certain drugs. This girl had been in and out of the hospital a lot. She had a long history of suicide attempts and dangerous behavior.

With AS, it might be different.

i do not see how any person can be required to tell people that you get social security when you apply for a job since that requirement also violates the law that says employers are not allowed to know any information about a disability unless they need to make accomodations for the interview or application

79datsun
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2009, 12:09 am

jamieg wrote:
EvilKimEvil wrote:
I had a friend who was on SSI for Bipolar Disorder. She was legally required to take meds. Technically, she could get arrested for cashing her SSI checks and not taking her meds. I didn't just hear this from her; I also heard it from a social worker who was called in when she had a bad manic episode.

She was also legally bound to disclose to employers that she was on SSI. She had to let them know during the application phase - before they agreed to hire her. I don't remember if she had to say what her diagnosis was, though.

I don't know how easy it is for an SSI recipient to become required by the government to take certain drugs. This girl had been in and out of the hospital a lot. She had a long history of suicide attempts and dangerous behavior.

With AS, it might be different.

i do not see how any person can be required to tell people that you get social security when you apply for a job since that requirement also violates the law that says employers are not allowed to know any information about a disability unless they need to make accomodations for the interview or application

Thats what I was thinking.....

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 5:37 am

Yes. I'm on SSDI for AS. But, I also had the Vineland II test which showed how compromised my abilities are based on my AS. I'm also on disability for bipolar though, it's for "severe and multiple functional disabilities."

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

gc1ceo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

I have been talking about the whole SSI bit myself, honestly mostly because I am having such a hard time finding a job that can suit me given my Aspergers. I have a BA and some experience, but my resume sucks so I'm stuck on really entry-level stuff at best and mcfood jobs, retail jobs, salesman kinda stuff.

In short I generally suck at most customer service work, doubly so if I have to try and sell something to the person even if they can't afford it or don't want it. I can't emotionally handle really angry, rude, etc customers on a regular basis. I get really bad shakes, nervous, almost black out, etc. I was at Staples for 8 months and basically any time a customer was a pain in the ass I had alot of trouble handling it. Likewise I couldn't seem to understand the whole boss says one thing, means another kinda crap. I.E boss told me not to let customers open stuff to try it out, customer demands they do it, I politely say they can't, they go apeshit, complain to manager and try and get me fired, they leave, manager is upset with me and says just the opposite...

Depending on the circumstances though I'm not too bad with people, I can be naturally fairly polite, kind, sympathic, etc (all things that I really had to learn of course).

I also don't have a vehicle so it limits me to a few miles that I can get to by local bus.

Anyway..

I have a friend that has a more severe version of aspergers, actually the diagnosis I think is right on autism/aspergers line. He'd probably have a seizure or try and kill some of the customers I dealt with. He has been getting SSI since he was 16. But in terms of his developmental abilities he's generally worse off then I am. Half my friends are in the aspergers category, the other half are OCD, bipolar, what have you (I don't hang out with too many normies).

I did get VESID which is New York State's vocational assistance with those with disabilities after my second try (dependent on both income and disability) but in terms of disability you can get it with just bout anything past ADD/ADHD. Half the people I hang out with are on it for example. In terms of income I'm on medicaid and foodstamps, so I probably wouldn't have a problem in terms of income.

My Aspergers diagnosis is very old too, more than a decade. One of the problems I'm concerned about is I'm quite a bit less Aspy-acting I guess is the right way to say to then when I was diagnosed originally and concerned they wouldn't diagnosis me that way now if they sent me to a psych eval. I actually had to show my paperwork to several people to prove my diagnosis since they wouldn't believe me, claimed I was too social or whatever.

Any advice, thoughts, etc?

Killman

16 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm

I am currently receiving SSI for severe Aspergers and I think another thing that has a long name. I do know that I have a shunt because of it. :?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:38 am

Hydrocephalus?

Anyway, yeah, I'm on SSI. It wasn't hard to get. I'm pretty lucky, I think; it's giving me some breathing room, not having to worry about being homeless. I'm getting a lot of help to get through school, but I'm doing well, grades-wise, so I'll be able to get off SSI someday because I'll be employable. Without SSI, I wouldn't have had that chance. I'd just have been scrambling to keep myself fed, bouncing from hospital to homeless shelter to tenuously-held minimum-wage job. This actually gives me a chance.

BTW, gc1ceo, you don't have to bump two-year-old topics; it confuses people because two years is old news on the Internet. You can just create a new one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Killman

17 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

Callista wrote:
Hydrocephalus?

Anyway, yeah, I'm on SSI. It wasn't hard to get. I'm pretty lucky, I think; it's giving me some breathing room, not having to worry about being homeless. I'm getting a lot of help to get through school, but I'm doing well, grades-wise, so I'll be able to get off SSI someday because I'll be employable. Without SSI, I wouldn't have had that chance. I'd just have been scrambling to keep myself fed, bouncing from hospital to homeless shelter to tenuously-held minimum-wage job. This actually gives me a chance.

BTW, gc1ceo, you don't have to bump two-year-old topics; it confuses people because two years is old news on the Internet. You can just create a new one.

Yes! That's it. 8) Also, I agree about the thread reviving. For some reason, I never seem to look at the date. I see a topic that has been replied to, and assume that it was recent. :?

nissa_amas_katoj

17 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

I'm currently on SSI but only getting $146 a month since they deduct for a lot (like monthly checks from my mom I'm no longer getting).

I'm applying for Social Security Disability as the adult child of a worker, since I have never really been able to work (I worked very briefly as a teacher many years ago but was not successful in hanging on to the job). They made it sound like I would get it but I was turned down and I appealed it. I can't get a lawyer for the hearing, though. (In part because I have a disability and calling strangers on the phone is one of the many, many things I can't do.)

I wish there was some sort of advocate-type person who could help me through this process but I'm sure they don't have anything like that where I live (a rural area in Upper Michigan).

+Praise Jesus Christ!+

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm

Callista wrote:
I'm on SSI for AS and depression. They interview you, you fill out a lot of forms, you get a psych evaluation, then they interview your friends... I only got it after I had tried and failed at working a lot. It opened some doors for me, though; I know I can become employable, with accommodations, and right now I'm going through training to make that happen. If you're autistic on SSI, don't assume it means you can never work. It just means you can't work right now, in your current circumstances.

It doesn't even mean you can't try to work. If you get a part time or temporary work or supported employment of some kind, most of the time your SSI will simply go down by the amount of the money you get from working, and you'll stay on the books as an SSI recipient. If you've been supporting yourself for a few months, yeah, it'll go; but your income has to be above poverty level from your own work, and in that case you'll be better off not on SSI. In most locations, you keep Medicaid, if you were eligible, for quite a while after your SSI quits.

The applicant's friends are interviewed? Well then, my application will be relatively simple because I have no friends! :D

I KNEW my lack of friends would come in handy someday. WINNING

Shizzle
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm

nissa_amas_katoj wrote:
I'm currently on SSI but only getting $146 a month since they deduct for a lot (like monthly checks from my mom I'm no longer getting).

I'm applying for Social Security Disability as the adult child of a worker, since I have never really been able to work (I worked very briefly as a teacher many years ago but was not successful in hanging on to the job). They made it sound like I would get it but I was turned down and I appealed it. I can't get a lawyer for the hearing, though. (In part because I have a disability and calling strangers on the phone is one of the many, many things I can't do.)

I wish there was some sort of advocate-type person who could help me through this process but I'm sure they don't have anything like that where I live (a rural area in Upper Michigan).

i realize you wrote this a long time ago, but just in case your situation is the same, i thought i'd offer some advice, for what it's worth:

as far as stopping your SSI check from being reduced (which you definitely can do if you are no longer receiving any other monies), and/or hiring a disability attorney, you can designate anyone you want to make the phone call(s) for you -- and i mean *anyone* (whom you trust, of course, such as: a parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, neighbor, fellow church member, etc.).

the office(s) may require that you sign a form first before they are willing to discuss anything with the person you appoint; in which case, the person calling for you would simply give them your name and address and they'd mail out the form and you'd mail it back.

i know for sure this is the case, because that is how i was and am able to make all calls for my son, who is now an adult. not only that, i also had my own mother do it for me, as i have the same issues with the phone as you and my son...but only when making calls regarding my *own* matters, LOL (that's one messed up mind i have, eh?!).

btw, as you may already know, it's too late to file an appeal now, but you can easily refile your application online to get the ball rolling again.

Shizzle
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm

WestBender84 wrote:
Callista wrote:
I'm on SSI for AS and depression. They interview you, you fill out a lot of forms, you get a psych evaluation, then they interview your friends... I only got it after I had tried and failed at working a lot. It opened some doors for me, though; I know I can become employable, with accommodations, and right now I'm going through training to make that happen. If you're autistic on SSI, don't assume it means you can never work. It just means you can't work right now, in your current circumstances.

It doesn't even mean you can't try to work. If you get a part time or temporary work or supported employment of some kind, most of the time your SSI will simply go down by the amount of the money you get from working, and you'll stay on the books as an SSI recipient. If you've been supporting yourself for a few months, yeah, it'll go; but your income has to be above poverty level from your own work, and in that case you'll be better off not on SSI. In most locations, you keep Medicaid, if you were eligible, for quite a while after your SSI quits.

The applicant's friends are interviewed? Well then, my application will be relatively simple because I have no friends! :D

I KNEW my lack of friends would come in handy someday. WINNING

LMAO! (btw, i wish there was a "Like" button on here).

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:50 pm

Last year I applied for SSD. Hey, I gave it a shot. I failed though so now I'm back to work. Oh well. You can't win 'em all.