Do your parents still treat you like a child?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

08 May 2008, 8:45 am

My mother still did after I turned 18.

I can remember the time when we were in Portland and I was 20 years old and we were waiting for the Max train to come and I see these kids in their late teens, and they play with the drinking fountain. They put their finger on the hole where the water is coming out and they make the water spray. I wanted to try it because it looked so fun but my mother told me no and wouldn't let me. I wanted to do it but I was afraid what would happen if I did. She told me she be very angry if I did it. I dunno what she do.

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 8:52 am

No

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 8:59 am

For me, it still often feels like I'm still living my childhood. My mom will happily take me to the park if it's nice out, I still get to go trick-or-treating, and believe it or not, I still wear clothes and shoes from the kids' department (I'm small enough and it's a whole lot cheaper than the Juniors' clothing.). But I really don't mind all this too much as it's to my advantage. I'm enjoying it while I still can. I have the rest of my life to be an adult. Why start now?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 9:13 am

I'm 47 and my father still treats me like a child!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 May 2008, 9:26 am

Nope, my mother treats me like an adult. I grew up too fast so thats not always a good thing.
I was looking after my drunk mother several nights per week by the time I was 11 and trying to convince her to get help...I still am.
Sometimes my mother and I argue and I seem to take the parental role and rationalize the situation where as she follows me around yelling at me waiting for a response. :roll:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:48 am

Well, my parents still think of me as their little girl, and I like it for the most part. The only thing that bugs me is my mom leads me around by the arm while we're in the store. It's uncomfortable and embarrassing, but she says she's just trying to help me.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:21 am

My parents didn't treat me like a child when I was a child. They never acted like parents. They never should have been parents.

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 11:39 am

I've certainly gotten the short end of the stick from my parents...I'm still a prisoner of my home with no privacy or personal life whatsoever.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 11:44 am

Yes my family still does.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

08 May 2008, 12:52 pm

My parents don't. My father just treats me like a person, and my mother... well I don't know exactly what she treats me like, just that I feel sorry for it.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:57 pm

My mom treats me more like a tenant since I still live with her. My dad treated me like a child up until he died but I had just turned 20 then so I basically hadn't grown up yet.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 2:07 pm

My mom always tells me to grow up :roll:

Glad to see I'm not the only one here still living with their parents at this age :oops:

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2008, 4:16 pm

My mom treats me as an adult, and has been gently pushing me to become more independant, but in a way that I don't really mind. My dad sometimes tries to treat me like a child, which doesn't go very well for him.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 4:28 pm

My dad did right up until he passed away last year, it was kind of annoying, but I really miss that, you know
something, its just how some parents show that they love you, so suck it up, and tell them you love them to. :(

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 4:58 pm

Once in a while my mother has done that a bit.
But for the most part they always tried to push me to mature quicker.
Like at 18-19 they pushed me to get a drivers lisence.
At that time i couldn't imagine driving a car yet.
They've always tried to push me to get a job when i didn't want to.

Nowadays i've matured though and since about 22 i've become a responsible adult.
I pay my own rent and bought my own car etc.
I also have a job.
Though i still tend to be lazy when it comes to some responsibilitys.
I prefer to just enjoy the freedom of having noone but yourself that decides what you do.

All in all i think parents like that can have a nasty effect on the maturing of someone with AS.
Most of us are already latebloomers that need a little push.
With parents wanting to be overprotective i can imagine some of us living at home late into theyr twentys still.
Imagine having your parents tel you what you can and cannot do at this age.
It just seems totally insane to even think about.

To the starter of the topic i'd advice to get your own job and bank acount.
Subscribe for an apartment, sit it out until you manage to find the job/apartment.
Than just spread your wings and enjoy all the freedom life has to offer.
It's not healthy living like a kid into your twentys.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 3:12 am

Oooohhh yes!! !! ! All the time.

My dad is very OCD (may or may not be aspie) and still treats me like a kid (at 42!) and has to be in control of my life. He & my mum still call me "child!"

That is why I left home - I needed to find out who I was. Even now, he has to ring me first thing every single morning (even though I have asked him not to for one day each week so I can sleep in), he pays my credit card bill, he will basically not allow me to take responsibility for my own life.

I have asked him repeatedly to let me suffer the consequences of my own mistakes so I can learn from them, but he will not allow this.

When other people have seen us out together as a family, they have said how strange we act.