Healthy Activities for 9 year old aspie girl

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jblack
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2008, 11:58 am

Hi - I am new - and parent of a 9 year old aspie girl. She is wonderful and interesting kid. She loves computer time, computer games, etc. and is putting on weight due to lack of exercise combined with her anxieties. Any suggestions on healthier activities I should try to get her into? Tx and look fwd to meeting you all online here...... :D

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:00 pm

Nice to meet you, jblack. :) 8)

Special Olympics is good way to get exercise.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 12:48 pm

Has she done anything physical in the past that she really enjoied? I was a very physical kid (long before computers :wink: ) and I loved going horseback riding, biking, walking in the woods looking for rocks and bugs, (i think it helps to get excercise doing something that is a special interest). A lot of video games have marshal arts...would she enjoy this or is being around other kids to stressful (it was for me). My mom had me in baton twirling...(I love the twirling but was clummsy and hated getting hit on the head with a baton..ouch)..I tried dancing but was embarassed about not remembering the steps(not able to mirror) but like to do it by myself....how about Dance Dance Revolution or Wii ? I had a lot of sensory issues with swimming (hate to get my face wet and cold water but with the right accomidations (warmer pool, late afternoon swimming, no screaming splashing kids and not being forced to submerge my face)...I love it.

I also think stretching is good for aspies...yoga, pilots, floor excercises(standing and moving balance is a problem for me) and
gymnastics might be an option. I would just suggest that she is allowed to express if any of these things present sensory problems for her. It may take trying 10 different things before he finds something that "fits' for her but once she does it could become a positive obsession and a life long healthy habit. Keep and open-mind and be patient. Nothing is worse then feeling forced to do something you really hate because..."we alreaady paid for the classes"...YMCA might have some options for "trial classes" just beaware that other hyper kids screaming can get over whelming for some of us.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 1:27 pm

How about taking her for a daily walk?

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 1:35 pm

Welcome to WP.

I think non-competitive, non-team sports would be good - such as swimming, hiking, gymnastics.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Zeller
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 May 2008, 4:30 pm

I was wondering if you've heard of the video game Dance Dance Revolution? It's a great way to get some movement in without having to feel like your working. Theres a lot of different versions including a one that is a mix of disney songs. Theres a mat that goes on the ground with four arrows on it and you have to step on the arrows to the beat of the music. Alot of people I know enjoy it alot.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 4:45 pm

Hi jblack Welcome to WP, one activity I loved at that age was hockey and floor hockey, I wasn't very
coordinated when I first started, but as I grew into it, I got very good, its also a great way to keep kids
in shape, without making them think its good for them and its lots of fun too

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2008, 4:25 am

I have to say my favorite exercise at that age was bouncing on a trampoline.
Actually, I've never grown out of it. :D

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 6:01 pm

Soccer and swimming were some of my favorites growing up.
How bout rollerblading?
Get her a wii that can be good exercise.
Take her for a bike ride.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2008, 1:03 am

As others have said, solitary play is the best option. I kept in shape throughout my childhood by riding my bike. Is your daughter coordinated? If so, you may want to introduce her to either Heely's (those shoes with wheels; I see plenty of 8-18 year olds, including girls, riding them) or Rip Stix (like a two wheeled skateboard, takes practice but is great exercise).

If you think those activities are too masculine, a daily walk/jog is always good, just make sure she has supportive sneakers.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 1:20 am

Hi and welcome jblack

I agree with krex on this one. An aspie might get interested in anything, there's no telling, but once they get interested, there's no stopping them.

Encourage her to try different stuff, whatever sounds interesting to her, see what she likes.

You've probably noticed that a lot of people out there don't like aspies too much. It's common for people to get the impression that aspies are stupid. If she finds an activity she enjoys but she isn't treated properly by the instructor, see if you can find another instructor. That can make all the difference.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina