Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:21 pm

I tend to get fixated on talking about a topic an example would be the following (Wow it's such a pretty day,don't you think it's a sunny day,I'm glad it's not 30 degrees today etc. in some form or another I get fixated on a topic for some odd reason. LOL! Today I was going to buy batteries on sale and was so glad they were on sale I wouldn't shut up about it LOL! My dad says I do it all the time. :-(

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:41 pm

I have done it :-)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 12:42 pm

not too often...
not too often...;)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 1:05 pm

A few times I have to admit. :wink:

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2008, 2:15 pm

Yes, I do this. Usually when others think I am repeating, I'm not - I'm reiterating. I'm modifying what I said slightly, so that it better expresses what I mean. I take a little while to verbalize when I'm saying something that is important or when I want to be precise, so I often end up saying it more than once in order to refine it. Other times, I have to repeat myself in order to lend certain words or phrases more weight or redefine them.
With a friend recently, I said "these are very low numbers" and then "they are in the bottom one-third to one-fifth of the population." He said that I had repeated myself and he didn't need to hear it twice, and I - clueless as ever - rephrased them into one comment ("these numbers are so low that they are actually below eighty percent of the population") and, of course, was told off for having repeated myself a third time! Really, what I had meant to do was to sort of "eliminate" the first two repetitive comments by making one good one.

I also have echolalic tendencies, so I'll repeat a couple of words of my own occasionally, and often more than once, but usually when that occurs I'm repeating someone or something else.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2008, 2:33 pm

I find I do it a lot. haha, I notice it when my boyfriend and I go out to eat and I keep saying how good the food is and he just answers me with "uh huh" after I've said it 15 times. haha

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2008, 2:59 pm

All the time, and my friends and family have learned to take it in stride.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 4:40 pm

I used to do that more then I do now. I think that's a trait I've outgrown. I do have days though where I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING or else my life is doomed, and I drive my mom crazy by obsession about it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 5:03 pm

LOL! Great I'm not the only one. :-) By different avatar pics I've seen there are alot of HOUSE,Anime,and gaming fans among these boards. :-) I love HOUSE and gaming and certain animes are cool. :-) LOL!

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2008, 5:34 pm

I wonder if my new avatar works. :-)

panda367
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2008, 9:30 pm

I do this, too- sometimes my friends get really annoyed with it, but I think they've learned that it's just a part of my personality. I think sometimes I have one big ITEM OF THE DAY that I have to tell all of my friends about, etc., even if some of them have heard about it before.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 3:29 am

Yes and I do it often. Every single day.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 7:18 am

I repeat myself alot. thats why I don't try to write sories(for example in english class for a project.), I end up repeating the same idea over and over again

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 8:41 am

I repeat myself when I don't mean to, yes.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2008, 3:12 pm

All the time. I'm not a very talkative person, so when I feel I should say something but don't know what I'm supposed to say, I just repeat myself. Also, when I get excited about something or try to explain something, I can repeat myself or say almost the same thing over and over again. Trying to find the most accurate way to frase it.