Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 3:40 pm

What is a good way to lose weight in time for college? I'm a 17 year old male scheduled to graduate from HS on June 5th. Now that I am very close to legally becoming an adult, I want to create a new, more healthier image for myself. Both my arms & legs are really stringy with no muscle. I do not want to grow any muscle. I just want to get rid of the excess fat around my belly.

Does anyone know good exercises/diets that can work out for 3 months?

Thank You,
AA

zshampo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2008, 3:43 pm

if you are really serious, give up meat. not only is it kind towards animals, I lost a lot of unnessecary weight when I became a vegetarian.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 3:49 pm

Veganism never worked out at all.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 3:58 pm

Eat more proteins and less carbs, and remember to work out regularly.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2008, 4:17 pm

Walking/biking lots is probably the best solution.

Vegetarianism is a good solution for some people - in others, this IS NOT a good Idea.

Some people respond to a diet higher in carbohydrates, some to a diet higher in protein. If you go vegan, make sure you do so under the supervision of a doctor.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 4:38 pm

The fastest way to drop pounds and get in overall shape is to treat carbs like the devil, eat lean meat and vegetable proteins in small portions and weight train. Lifting weights will melt fat and replace it with lean muscle faster than any other form of exercise. Trust me, you'll see a difference in less than two weeks, if you're religious about doing it EVERY DAY, minimum 2 hours a day; vary your workout routines to give muscle groups a chance to recover for 48 hours before you hit 'em again. And do not forget the ab crunches, again use at least two different routines and switch them off from day to day. If you don't feel the burn and the afterburn, you're not pushing hard enough. Make sure you're healthy before you start, so you don't work yourself into a heart attack. The great thing about it is, you don't have to go to a gym and do this around other people. A decent weight bench can be had brand new for about a hundred bucks, but check the newspaper classifieds or with friends and neighbors, lots of people with no determination or willpower (translation: no ability to forge a positive and useful obsession)have one gathering dust in their garage they'd give you to haul it away, so you can work out in the privacy of your own home (or garage). You can probably get a package deal on a treadmill that way, too.

If you're not sure what types of exercises to do with weights, pop by your local bookstore. Arnold Schwarzenegger's Enclyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding is a good bible for reference. Now don't let that make you feel like you have to try to look like The Rock, it's just a good way to learn how to use the weights without hurting yourself. Recklessness can cause painful pulls and sprains. Oh, and never try to lift more than you can safely handle if you're working without a spotter. Faithful dedication to working your body everyday will not only improve your self-image, it will do wonders for staving off depression and help you sleep better to boot. I just wish my phys ed teachers in school had put me in a weight room alone, instead of forcing me to humiliate myself trying to play football and basketball with the class.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 4:49 pm

Do you mean you specifically don't want to build any muscle or just don't want to appear muscle bound? There is a difference.
Muscle burns fat...I don't know the science behind that, I just read it some where :wink: I think basic physical exercise is the best approach to weight lose, more so then restricting calories as this just slows you metabolism.

It helps if you can find something physical that you actually enjoy. I can not do excercise that I don't enjoy but I have always liked being physical...jusst not sports. Tennis can be fun, though I am really bad at it and get tons of excercising chasing the ball I never seem to be able to hit. I used to love to bike ride, you can check out local bike path or ride to school or work instead of driving. I actually loved using the weight machines but was to uncordinated with free weights. It is just a bit intimidating to be around the jokes that hang out at the school weight room. I use to go to the YWCA. I find it easier to do excercise while having some mundane show on TV. I actually hate to sit still and watch TV, I think it was a form of stimming that kept me in pretty good shape...sit-ups, leg lifts, stretching or yogs...lots of books on floor excercises.

Just find the right thing and it could becoem a "healthy obsession"...we can develop some of those. As far as food, I just don't let the really bad junk food in the house...out of sight ,out of mind. You don't have to cut back on how much you eat but focus on healthy things you actually like. One advantages of AS is that some times we can eat the same thing for years before we get sick of it.

Good luck

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/