Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

FleaCircus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2008, 9:09 pm

taken from wikipedia

Quote:
Clutterers:

* Are very unaware of their disorder (bullcrap)
* Perform better when speaking under stress (worse actually)
* Have a hard time fluently giving long answers
* Have hasty, repetitious, uninhibited, messy handwriting (fact)
* Have little to no fear of their speech and are careless in speech (absolutely not true)
* Therapy focuses on calling attention to speech details
* Are typically outgoing or extroverted (you kidding me?) :roll:
* Typically were never very fluent
* Do know exactly what they want to say, but it becomes disorganized while actually speaking(true)
* Have disorganized, tangential, grammatically incorrect speech with word substitutions(always...)
* Are impatient listeners, frequently interrupt, and have poor turn-taking skills in conversation

i still have some form of cluttering, but its not as bad as it used to be years back.
cluttering always used to be a pain in the arse for me and my listenrs also, when i try to chat with my parents or ask my teacher assistance.

the worst was when i was trying to order pizza and, heheh all i wanted was
a vegeterian pizza with a drink, and that stupid asian made it harder for the both of us
when he began to talk even faster in a thick asian accent, so i got all pissed off and hung up(no pizza tonight!).

my thoughts always get messy up there. sometimes my mind goes a miles a minute while 5 different sentences wanting to burst out of me. its hard sometimes... and that problem, made me lose my will to chat with my peers
or join conversations for my confidence died from people making fun of me about it.

17 May 2008, 9:19 pm

What cluttering are they talking about?

I was diagnosed with a speech clutter disorder or whatever when I was maybe in 5th grade. I'd have to look at my school records again to see what the exact name was. Luckily I'm going to Montana this month where my parents have my medical records and my IEP and notes from my teachers and my old report cards. I'm sure they have the diagnose paper too.

trotz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2008, 9:23 pm

I clutter when I speak on occasion. I've always believed that it only happens when my mind and my mouth are not going at the same pace. It's really a result of my impatience to say what I want to before collecting my thoughts on it. I need to go slower.

I don't believe that I am unaware of it, like that description says.

17 May 2008, 9:35 pm

Oh so she was talking about stuttering.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 9:40 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Oh so she was talking about stuttering.

No, cluttering is actually a separate disorder of fluency from stuttering. The characteristics are those quoted by FleaCircus. One difference between cluttering and stuttering is that cluttering is believed to be based in a language disorder- possibly one which affects the timing and organization of speech, while stuttering is not considered a language disorder. Also, clutterers exhibit different types of disfluencies (usually sound and syllable repetitions and revisions) than stutterers (often prolongations and blocks).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 1:25 am

FleaCircus wrote:
taken from wikipedia

Quote:
Clutterers:

* Are impatient listeners, frequently interrupt, and have poor turn-taking skills in conversation

the worst was when i was trying to order pizza and, heheh all i wanted was
a vegeterian pizza with a drink, and that stupid asian made it harder for the both of us
when he began to talk even faster in a thick asian accent, so i got all pissed off and hung up(no pizza tonight!).

yeah, I do it too. My mom used to say I would 'cut off my own nose, just to spite my face'. (meaning: to hurt yourself in an effort to punish someone else.)
I lose a lot and blame it all on them. . always them. Strangest part about it, the only thing constant in all of my dealings with 'them' is me.

Merle

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 3:07 pm

I don't think I understand what cluttering is.

The Wiki description sounds a little like the speech issue that I have and I associated with autism until now. I also, if it happens, have it much worse than that written sample at Wikipedia.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 3:36 pm

there is clutterers like horders and then there are people like me who have no freaking sense to put things back when i use them.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 3:55 pm

RampionRampage wrote:
there is clutterers like horders and then there are people like me who have no freaking sense to put things back when i use them.

Wrong type of cluttering, LOL! :lol: This kind of cluttering is a type of language disorder.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 5:54 pm

I seem to stutter and clutter, if that's possible. I often repeat, sounds, syllables, words and short phrases, which is characteristic of stuttering. But I seem to have some cluttering symptons too:

Quote:
Clutterers:

* Have a hard time fluently giving long answers
* Have hasty, repetitious, uninhibited, messy handwriting
* Typically were never very fluent
* Do know exactly what they want to say, but it becomes disorganized while actually speaking

All of these are true, but I suspect my handwriting difficulties are to do with poor fine motor coordination.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 10:10 pm

Hodor wrote:
I seem to stutter and clutter, if that's possible. I often repeat, sounds, syllables, words and short phrases, which is characteristic of stuttering. But I seem to have some cluttering symptons too

While it is possible to both stutter and clutter, it sounds like you may have more straight-up cluttering. Stuttering and cluttering are both fluency disorders, but they are characterized by different types of disfluencies. Cluttering is usually characterized by what is commonly known as "normal disfluencies", or "non-stuttering disfluencies" (i.e. disfluencies that non-stutterers frequently have) such as syllable and word repetition, phrase repetition, and revision. True stuttering, on the other hand, is full of "stuttering disfluencies", such as prolongations (elongated vowels or consonants) and blocks (when a sound is "stuck" and won't come out). You mentioned non-stuttering disfluencies, which would fit better with cluttering.

Another difference between the disfluences in cluttering and stuttering, is that in stuttering, the disfluencies are usually marked by a lot of tension in the jaw and face, as well as "secondary behaviors", such as head jerks, tapping, body twisting, etc., which usually develop as a technique to try to "unstick" words. Disfluencies in cluttering are usually less effortful, and don't tend to involve either the excess tension or secondary behaviors.