My AVG virus protection programme doesn't work, any more.



Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Posts: 91549
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

19 May 2008, 12:05 am

I've received an alert that the AVG 7.5 programme was almost expired and that I should download the AVG 8 programme onto my laptop. I've downloaded the AVG 8 free version onto the computer and the computer has been shutting itself off, for three days in a row, at the same time, every day. I've tried to restore my computer to an earlier date, to get the old AVG programme back. The kernel interface won't work. What should I do?


_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula


iceb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 26, 2007
Posts: 1822
Location: The Liberator flight deck

19 May 2008, 12:29 am

Try to uninstall all versions of AGV and then reinstall one of them.

With a bit of luck might work.


_________________
Wisdom must be gathered, it cannot be given.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Posts: 91549
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

19 May 2008, 12:32 am

iceb wrote:
Try to uninstall all versions of AGV and then reinstall one of them.

With a bit of luck might work.


I'll try that when I get up, tomorrow. It's getting late, here. Thank you for the tip. :O)


_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula


Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 737
Location: New Zealand

19 May 2008, 3:11 am

I downloaded it too about a week ago and now my computer won't load up. I think I'll give up on AVG



kip
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1387
Location: Somewhere out there...

19 May 2008, 4:16 am

My 8.0 works perfectly fine, I got it when it first came out...

You guys running some weird programme? Or maybe SP3?


_________________
Every time you think you've made it idiot proof, someone comes along and invents a better idiot.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot


doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 05, 2006
Posts: 3476
Location: central nj

19 May 2008, 7:08 am

hi cockneyrebel, it sounds like you may have automatic scanning set and also have checkmark in shut down computer after scan completes, you can remove checkmark from shutdown after scan completes,

about automatic updating, i have it on a win 2000 pro with sp3 installed and at 9:00 am EVERYDAY i hear system alert chime(ding!!) if this is happening to you and nothing on screen its possible that its updating in backround

avg 8.0 that one is the security suite, that one you buy to use but the avg free antivirus and free antispyware are free FOREVER. so it sounds to me that you may have accidentally downloaded the free trial of security suite instead of avg free antivirus and spyware. or may have clicked UPGRADE to 8.0 now, being that avg is free, you may see advertisements or a once a month popup for avg 8.0 or security suite (has a round voult door as its picture)

heres were to go to get the free one,

www.free.grisoft.com then click download (this may take some time depending on your connection, the server that it downlaods from is not in USA or canada,

for the antispyware, on left side menu there should be a link to the free antispyware. good luck and hope this helps, if still having problems, email or pm me


_________________
<<"norton" antivirus


Encyclopedia
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 110
Location: Utah

19 May 2008, 10:52 am

AVG V7.5 is supposed to stop recieving updates at the end of the month. It should still work, but wont protect against the latest threats. AVG V8 is rumored to still be very buggy. The free version of AVG 8 doesn't include the rootkit scanner, active protection against hostile websites and some other things that the commercial AVG V8 has.

If you can't live with the V8 bugs, there are a couple of fairly good free alternatives still available.

You could still use the free Avast! Antivirus, which is supposed to have good anti-spyware, anti-rootkit and email protection also. You have to register every 14 months to keep it working, but it is free. Avast! is kind of resource-hungry compared to AVG though.

The other choice is Avira Antivir Personal + Spyware Terminator (or maybe Windows Defender instead). Avira is more annoying than AVG, but probably better against viruses currently than either AVG V8 or Avast!

If you decide you're willing to pay for your antivirus, Kasperskey is probably the best there is, but if you run your browser and messenger (or whatever else connects to the internet) in a sandbox (like Sandboxie) you probably don't need that level of protection.



Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 10, 2008
Posts: 737
Location: New Zealand

21 May 2008, 2:48 am

I don't think it was AVG which crashed my PC, so I'm still using it. I think it was an MS update. Might try that Avira though.



gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 30, 2006
Posts: 1731
Location: Citrus County, Florida

30 May 2008, 11:53 pm

Encyclopedia wrote:
AVG V7.5 is supposed to stop recieving updates at the end of the month. It should still work, but wont protect against the latest threats. AVG V8 is rumored to still be very buggy. The free version of AVG 8 doesn't include the rootkit scanner, active protection against hostile websites and some other things that the commercial AVG V8 has.

If you can't live with the V8 bugs, there are a couple of fairly good free alternatives still available.

You could still use the free Avast! Antivirus, which is supposed to have good anti-spyware, anti-rootkit and email protection also. You have to register every 14 months to keep it working, but it is free. Avast! is kind of resource-hungry compared to AVG though.

The other choice is Avira Antivir Personal + Spyware Terminator (or maybe Windows Defender instead). Avira is more annoying than AVG, but probably better against viruses currently than either AVG V8 or Avast!

If you decide you're willing to pay for your antivirus, Kasperskey is probably the best there is, but if you run your browser and messenger (or whatever else connects to the internet) in a sandbox (like Sandboxie) you probably don't need that level of protection.


Yeah, if you running off a 400Mhz CPU[a.k.a- A Semimodern Computer]



doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 05, 2006
Posts: 3476
Location: central nj

31 May 2008, 4:53 am

i installed it a few days ago on the dell 2000 pro (sp4) works really well on there, 2 things i like, the machine dont ding (system notification) at 9:00 am EVERY SINGLE DAY! and it includes spyware module within the v8, AND i dont get javascript errors when checking yahoo mail (only way in past i have found to fix that was delete the temp internet files and cookies as well as history)

cockneyrebel, soo far i have not had it restart computer on me, its possible you have in advanced settings for it set to restart the computer.

to all who have NOT installed V8, yet and still have 7.5, today will be last day for 7.5 updates


_________________
<<"norton" antivirus


sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 18, 2007
Posts: 6764
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

31 May 2008, 9:00 am

Anti Virus GONE topic

As is mine. I guess the company is fed up with offering a freebie.

thanks for broaching the subject, Sid. Now I have to get busy figuring out what to do. 8)


_________________
Radical Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Feb 05, 2006
Posts: 3476
Location: central nj

31 May 2008, 10:05 am

sartresue wrote:
Anti Virus GONE topic

As is mine. I guess the company is fed up with offering a freebie.

thanks for broaching the subject, Sid. Now I have to get busy figuring out what to do. 8)


if you cannot find the AVG 8 from free.grisoft.com, tried getting it from download.com?


_________________
<<"norton" antivirus


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: