Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Phillip
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2008, 4:33 pm

One thing I hope to do someday is to own all of the Metal Gear Solid games that follow the "main" storyline (which should be possible via the Internet). I do plan to own Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (which should explain how Big Boss became evil), Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. But my main problem comes with the original Metal Gear Solid. I can easily buy the PlayStation 1 version as part of the $30 Essential Collection, but the GameCube remake The Twin Snakes makes improvements with several aspects of the game (the graphics being one of the most obvious). Then again, people have complained with some of these changes.
To put it simply, which version of Metal Gear Solid should I buy, the PlayStation 1 version or the GameCube version?

NOTE: I don't have a PlayStation 1 or a GameCube, but I do have a PlayStation 2 and a Wii, which are fully backwards-compatible with all PS1 and GC games, so I don't have a problem with consoles.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 4:56 pm

I do frankly prefer the GameCube version, as I compared the two recently. Voice acting is comparable with MGS2, and slightly more realistic (except in the case of Cam Clarke's Liquid Snake, who hams it up a bit more), although they use the same voice actors except for the Cyborg Ninja. I compared the two in a review thread I created.

On sabbatical...

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 1:51 am

The GC is a generation ahead of the PS1 and will offer much better graphics and I also think the controller is superior. Plus the GC discs are cute because they are tinier. 8)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 3:57 am

There are only a few complaints that I have about the GC version:

*Mine crashes quite often. I think it's my GameCube, as it does it with Metroid Prime as well.

*The rappelling sequence is significantly easier in the original, as you don't have to worry about the Grip Gauge.

*When you get the stealth suit, you can trip infrared beams, unlike the original.

On sabbatical...

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 7:06 am

I played the twin snakes. it was pretty good. can't really compare it to the PS1 because I never played it on that system.

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:36 am

I've played both versions, but I certainly recommend Twin Snakes because of the better graphics. The only gripe though that I have about Twin Snakes is that they removed Mei Ling's cute Chinese accent, making her sound more American. That seriously blows; her accent from the original PS1 version is what made her adorable. 8)

Just my thoughts...