Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 9:22 am

AliasPseudonym wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Oddly they started when I started to take Ritalin for my misdiagnosed ADHD. I still do them now and then.

Actually this isn't odd; one of the known possible side effects of ADHD stimulants is Tourette's.
partially true. if you have tourette's, methylphenidate can increase your tics (it can also decrease them or have no effect), but if you don't have tourette's it can't give you it. Tourette's is genetic so unless you have it, ritalin can't give it to you. i'm not sure if it can give you tics if you don't have tourette's though.

VMSnith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2008, 12:23 pm

Yes, i have tics as well. According to PubMed, tics are very common w/ Asperger's :

Quote:
... patients with autistic spectrum disorders who were referred to our Movement Disorders Clinic for evaluation of tics. Eight of the 12 had normal language development and therefore met criteria for Asperger's syndrome. All patients exhibited stereotypic movements; in addition, seven had tics and six of these met diagnostic criteria for Tourette syndrome.

*Click here* PubMed, tics and Asperger's

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 12:32 pm

I don't know if they would qualify as tics; perhaps more likely to fall under the category of stims... but I drum with my hands and fingers incessantly (well before I started in music), fidget and tap fingers, habitually stretch/pop my neck when I'm uncomfortable, type while I'm speaking aloud, etc... Took me twenty years to quit biting my nails, as it was the only deterrent to me making noise when I was younger.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2010, 10:15 pm

Older post but I just found it: I blink constantly but don't usually notice it (people tend to point it out like I don't know ); also sniff a lot. If I feel stressed I'll stand and rock unto my toes so my ankles crack. My son has this cough/throat clearing thing about once a minute.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 8:38 am

Tic(kety) boogie topic

I have facial tics (involuntary twitches) during migraine attacks. My brother has Tourettes.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CodeJunkie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2010, 8:54 am

I have this really weird one where I can 'click' my chest. Just as you would 'click' your fingers.

Sometimes it feels like pressure is building up on my chest and if I just lean back, it makes a really loud 'pop' sound and then the pressure is gone. It's brilliant.
It is so satisfying, like clicking your fingers. Sometimes I can get it to click more than once or twice at once.

I've researched this and seems to be pretty normal and no minor/major related health concerns.

My friends seem to think it is very weird, disgusting and are just plainly like 'what the f**k...'.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 4:58 pm

I have one where I thrash my head from side to side.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 5:03 pm

Quote:
I have this really weird one where I can 'click' my chest. Just as you would 'click' your fingers.

My brother does that with his neck! It makes everyone gag!

I have got Tourettes. The best analogy I have ever heard to help non-Touretters feel what it is like to have a tic is that it is like trying not to blink. Seriously, just sit for as long as possible with your eyes open. The longer you leave it, the more you need to slam your eyes shut! I have multiple motor tics, vocal tics which sound like barking, coughing, sniffing, and complex tics which make me copy words (echolalia) and movements (echopraxia), as mentioned earlier palilalia, and unfortunately coprolalia (saying rude things...). The majority of people with TS don't swear though and coprolalia is no longer a necessity for a diagnosis. I also shout random things like 'banana' or 'leprechaun' and sing 'I want to know what love is' with no warning... weird!

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 2:59 pm

Jellybean- If you don't mind sharing a few things, that would be great. I am beginning to suspect that my 4.5 year old son may have Tourette's. He was diagnosed at 2.5 with PDD/NOS possible Aspergers. For the last couple of years he has done that where he just says random words that seem to have no connection to what is going on. He will also start clapping his hands and singing at school when the teachers are trying to teach him something new. He can stop this on his own, but it has always made me wonder about Tourette's.

When were you diagnosed with Tourette's? Do you have AS as well? How has this affected your life? Were you able to make it through school, and are you able to work? If you do not want to share, I completely understand.

Thanks so much and good luck to you!

Tourettes766
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2010, 8:42 pm

some of my tics are nose scrunching, blinking, head jerking, throat clearing, humming, clicking, hitting myself, shoulder rotating, couching, sniffing, hand clapping and grimacing.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2010, 8:49 pm

I've had ticks when I was on meds. When I was Abilify; my eyes kept twitching & I was also moving my hands around while talking(hard to explain). I haven't noticed any twitches before I was on meds or after I quit em. Anti-psychotics can cause em. I think the Abilify commercial mentions em in side-effects; I was on it a year or so before it was being marketed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 9:08 pm

I sometimes get one where it feels like a sort of jolt through my upper body and my head turns to the right side involuntarily. I think that's a tic.. It started after being on ritalin, but now that i've stopped the ritalin it still hasn't gone away.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2010, 9:14 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
I sometimes get one where it feels like a sort of jolt through my upper body and my head turns to the right side involuntarily. I think that's a tic.. It started after being on ritalin, but now that i've stopped the ritalin it still hasn't gone away.

I've heard that those side-effects can become permanent but there mite be things you can do if it is a nuisance. I'd recommend doing a lot of research before trying meds or herbal supplements

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 11:52 pm

I've always had a handful of vocal/motor tics, but when I started on Celexa, they increased exponentially. Then, when the dose of Celexa was quadrupled, my tics started to control my life. I got off the Celexa and onto Zoloft instead, as well as starting Tenex to try to control the tics. I've now been off the Celexa for 6 months but still need 2 mg per day of Tenex to keep the tics at bay. Frustrating.

Kat7789
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2010, 1:52 am

Yeah, tics are a big pain to deal with. I have my own share of them. I have that same leg jerking tic as well as shoulder jerking, which I manage to pass off most of the time by shrugging, teeth clenching, finger tapping, coughing/throat clearing, and echolalia. I also almost want to count neck and finger cracking and taking really deep breaths.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 2:14 am

Yeah, but I found a good pair o' tweezers get's 'em out purty quick!

ImageImage

Sorry. I'm really tired and couldn't resist popping this off just before I go to bed.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...