Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I have a few, but they're very few and far between.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 1:43 pm

A sniff a lot, cough, and clear my throat, but I don't know if those are really tics, since my nose is always kind of runny.

I have a squinting tic or whatever you want to call it...blinking very hard? I think it has to do with my eyes being too dry or something, because I only do it at certain times of the year.

I've noticed that I lick my lips a lot. When I was little, I would just go crazy with it, like I was licking all the flavor off my chap-stick or something. Now it's just a little tongue-dart ;D But I've finally notice it...at first I would look at photos of myself and go "Why does it look like my tongue is sticking out?" and then one day at work, I was leaning in close to the machine, and suddenly I felt my tongue hit it o_O I really had no idea I did it until that moment.

Silke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2008, 2:04 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Now it's just a little tongue-dart ;D But I've finally notice it...at first I would look at photos of myself and go "Why does it look like my tongue is sticking out?"

LOL - lizard tongue - I got that as well ;-) But with me its more that my brain notices tiny unevenness on the side of my tongue and then I start biting again. Aaaargh!

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 2:17 pm

Sometimes. Back in kindergarden I had this one where I would have to rub my fingers across my palsms and flip my toes (I did it so hard my toes would sometimes bleed) and say "One two, one two" whenever I did it. I cold hold it off for a while but it soon began to feel as if I was going to suffocate. This was before I had an Asperger's diagnoses and people constantly asked me why I did it and since I did not know I would make up things. It annoyed people. While riding the school bus we crossed a set of railroad tracks and were not supposed to talk until we crossed them in case a train was comming (kinda hard to not hear a train even with a school bus full of screaming kids). As I said it felt like I was suffocating if I held it off so I whispered "One two, one two" at the railroad tracks and my so-called "best friend" threatned to tell the teacher. Oddly they started when I started to take Ritalin for my misdiagnosed ADHD. I still do them now and then.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 6:33 pm

I wave whatever writing utencil I have in my hand.

Does that count as a tic?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 8:55 pm

I have a verbal tic called palilalia, in which I involuntarily repeat words that I've just spoken. I repeat them in a very quiet whisper, and I didn't even know I did it until my brother pointed it out one day. It's gotten better than it used to be, but I still catch myself doing it sometimes.

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2008, 10:01 pm

I have always had tics, especially when I'm talking to people, and I self-stimulate a lot, especially when I'm thinking. Is it AS? I can't say what is what in my case. Asperger's Syndrome explains much - but not all - of my madness, but I don't think I have Tourette Syndrome. My tics are much better than they used to be; the worst period involved phenothiazines, which gave me all sorts of more painful tics. Being conscious of them helps, for sure.

Isthisreal
Raven
Raven

21 May 2008, 11:40 pm

Quote:
I have a verbal tic called palilalia, in which I involuntarily repeat words that I've just spoken.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I've had that where I will keep repeating the same word in my head for about a week. I also would repeat spoken phrases.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:28 am

Yes I have Tourette's but the motor tics are far far more frequent than the vocal tics

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 3:23 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I have a verbal tic called palilalia, in which I involuntarily repeat words that I've just spoken. I repeat them in a very quiet whisper...

I do that too, I never noticed until I listened to a recording of myself repeating something my friend said.

"Did I say that? That's my voice, I must've said it...weird..."

dr-zero
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2008, 5:42 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have a few, but they're very few and far between.

Me too.

Before the 30's I had more of this. Now just small hand/feet (and face muscles) movements, sometimes.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 4:36 pm

I have a few motor tics. I've had an eye-blinking tic since I was a teenager, and I also have some body-contorting tics (a kind of twisting motion of my torso or neck), and one where I rotate my ankles around (which can be perilous if I'm going down stairs). I have no vocal tics, though.

kuiamalynne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2008, 7:29 pm

I have a lip-biting/lip-twisting tic. Not quite sure how to describe it, and I often don't notice when I'm doing it. I also clear my throat and touch my nose a lot. I don't have Tourette's.

I'd say that my stims mainly involve my hands -- wringing, clapping, flapping, twisting. I also pace quite often.

AliasPseudonym

25 May 2008, 9:17 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Oddly they started when I started to take Ritalin for my misdiagnosed ADHD. I still do them now and then.

Actually this isn't odd; one of the known possible side effects of ADHD stimulants is Tourette's.

I have no tics. I have weirdly jerky stims that can look ticish, but they're all voluntary.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:47 am

yea I a tic for raising my eyebrows also.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 9:22 am

AliasPseudonym wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Oddly they started when I started to take Ritalin for my misdiagnosed ADHD. I still do them now and then.

Actually this isn't odd; one of the known possible side effects of ADHD stimulants is Tourette's.
partially true. if you have tourette's, methylphenidate can increase your tics (it can also decrease them or have no effect), but if you don't have tourette's it can't give you it. Tourette's is genetic so unless you have it, ritalin can't give it to you. i'm not sure if it can give you tics if you don't have tourette's though.