How do I get a cat stay out of my room?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 7:18 pm

... I was about to reply, before I saw the words 'without being cruel to it'

Oh well, I'll reply anyway. I suggest spraying it with water (not much, just a bit to make it leave and eventually develop a Pavlovian reaction to your room- you could get a trip wire set up so that it'll work even when you're not in the room... although you might want to warn your flat mates) or... I know for a fact that cats hate being stared at- it freaks them out, so... put huge pictures of eyes on your walls (again, maybe warn the flatmates)

Or... keep the door closed (but that'd be boring) :P

Juniperberrygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2008, 5:37 am

The problem; is it that the cat is coming in or that it gets on your bed?

If it's that the cat comes into your room and you don't want it to and you have a lot of time this may work, my cat now doesn't go where she shouldn't unless she's coaxed (or bored and the door's open) into the area she's not to go, my cat doesn't have a problem with me for this method.

With my cat, to stop it going into the kitchen, I chose a point on the lino in the hall outside the kitchen and then waited with a wet hand when it got to that point (and only at that point) I shook a single dribble of water at her.

Though some cats like water, just to let you know.
Talking to the house-mate may help, though being gentle with them when talking to them is a givin.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2008, 6:32 am

I have some cats, one of them really doesnt like water at all. Tryed to shower him a few years ago, 10 minutes later there was blood everywhere (my arms), the showercurtain was shredded to pieces and the cat was still dry :) Wasn`t mean to it, he just put up a hell of a fight, tuff guy