How do I get a cat stay out of my room?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 4:50 am

..without being mean to it?

It's new and belongs to my housemate. It's a nice cat and all, and it's fun to talk to, but I leave my door open for 10 seconds to get a glass of water and it runs in and jumps on my bed. I just spent half an hour fishing a white cat hair out of my eyeball, which is now red. And the skin around my eyes will now be red for the next few days.

Seriously, I'll pet it and stuff if I wash my hands afterwards, but the thing just can't go in my room every time the door opens. :cat: :help:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 5:41 am

Sounds like you're allergic to him?

I have the same problem with that which I'm trying to overcome. I percieve my cats as though they were people. 8O

I'm learning now you have to show them who's boss.....only problem is they're not like dogs when it comes to that. I usually snap my fingers and say "off" or shut my door if I don't want them in a certain place. I've found living with cats that they all have their own personalities. Some respond and some don't necessarily.

You could use treats or toys to distract him away from your room. They're only cats after all.......or are they? :?

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2008, 5:46 am

Simple answer: you can't.

You have to be mean to the cat if you want to send the right message. Even doing that probably won't work all the time on most cats. Household felines are very independently minded. Although I've heard of training cats so I'm not completely positive. Judging by the avatars around here I'm sure there's someone who is better qualified to give you an answer.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 5:54 am

deleted

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 24 May 2008, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 5:59 am

deleted

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 24 May 2008, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 6:32 am

deleted

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 24 May 2008, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 7:40 am

squirt it when it tries going in the room.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 7:46 am

deleted

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 24 May 2008, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:29 am

^dang it....I forgot about that. :x

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:30 am

I normally just chuck 'em out of my room. but they keep coming back.

22 May 2008, 8:36 am

Can you close the door whenever you leave your room, even if it's for ten seconds?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:39 am

if are able to tolerate it,spray the room with lots of citrus air freshner,and get one of those citrus plug in things,cats hate citrus.

another one is to get a door closer put on the door,the door would then automatically close each time,and they can be loosened so that they dont slam so quick/noise.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:46 am

deleted.

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 24 May 2008, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:22 am

Go to a vet store (or big pet supply store) because there is stuff you can spray that supposedly keeps cats off of furniture. You'll have to ask what to get though I.e. you spray the furniture and they don't go up there any more. In practical terms, the cat won't go into the same room as the sprayed furniture.

My sister developed allergies in her teen years and we got stuff (cant' remember name or brand) and sprayed her room with it. Cat never went in there again.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:49 am

Since it's your bedroom, just keep the door closed.

I know this won't work for cats, but with my Pomeranians, my mom velcrod plexi-glass to the walls of dining room and the bottom of the staircases that measures about a foot off the ground. That keeps them from entering and messing things up, plus no one ever notices the plexi-glass. It wouldn't work for a cat, though, as they could easily jump over it.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:58 pm

I keep my door closed because my cat likes to chew on cords, especially ones plugged into the wall. Most of the time he stays out but every once in a while he slips in and he knows when I don't want him in here because he runs and hides under my bed. That's why I've got boxes and things under there so he can't get away so easily. But I do let him in whenever he gets lonely, but it's under constant surveillance.